common sense

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

benjbadboy

common sense

Post by benjbadboy »

Hi All True Blues, I have seen the ups and downs of Pompey F.C for 40 years now and still cannot get my head around the way the club is run from top to bottom. After we, the fans took control of the club obviously with help from money men, why do we not look at other clubs and look how they become successful. Pompey are in one of the biggest catchment areas for players (fewer pro clubs within miles) yet are scouting is non exsistant! I know money is a factor but why can't a club like ours approach somebody like Hoddle or like several managers who took Swansea to the top flight. If we said to these kind of people,"right take control from top to bottom of this club and revamp it, like he did at Swindon where he was successful and playing a style of football which is easy on the eye.
Say we would back him to the hilt even in hard times if we got back to where we belong. Challenges like this appeal to someone who has massive management experience.
We go for the cheap easy option ex players and someone who is not up to the job.
Our clubs youth set up is so poor its laughable. Jobs for my mates come to hand. Abroad the best coaches work with the younger players to make sure they are coached properly and progress.
Our club needs revamping, a better approach from hiring the right coaching staff, not someone who has passed his UEFA B badge and is now suddenly qualified to teach our future pros. Glad we now have our own training pitch for the first team, now we need a couple more for the rest of the clubs players.
Come on the people who run our club, those scum bastards did it by getting the right mix and people in place in a short space of time.
Look to the future not short term there are better players hungrier with more heart and will to win in non league football just needs good scouts to be looking. The current crop are more interested how their hair looks and like most pros these days don't like getting shouted at. That's why Maca was got rid of for having a go at Awfords son who is never good enough to play pro football!
I hope supporters can see some of the ideas Pompey need to get the club moving forward again, me for one want to see top flight football again at Fratton and a well run club to be proud of again.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: common sense

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I think its been 1 year since we started anew and btw, short time span Saints took 20 years to build a new stadium, set up a world class youff system, build a top notch training facility and get to the top half of the prem, During which time they went through all 4 divisions in both directions.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:I think its been 1 year since we started anew and btw, short time span Saints took 20 years to build a new stadium, set up a world class youff system, build a top notch training facility and get to the top half of the prem, During which time they went through all 4 divisions in both directions.
did Saints really drop down to div 4 (in old money) ?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Nope, L1 was the furthest they fell.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

This Scum b*****d was about to confirm that but you beat me to it. :thumb
Also we had Marcus Liebherr which helped enormously.
Looking from the outside in it seems to me that you came closer than us to folding up and have made huge progress off the field.
Your board seems to be made up of good people like Mick who cares deeply for your club.
You have strong support and are moving in the right direction.
I don't know if you can spend in January but if you can get in two or three you might still have a realistic shot at the play offs.
Anyway cheer up and think of Burnley :lol:
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Yes...apologies for not getting my FACTS right...it was of course 3 divisions.
It certainly wasn't an overnight short term success story though.
Div III. Call it what it is.