Back from the Cheltenham game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Cheltenham game

Post by Selsey Bill »

First visit to Whaddon Road for the Selseys (another one ticked off!) and what a pleasant experience it was. It was a great drive for us, especially the nearer we got to Cheltenham - I'd forgotten how pleasing on the eye the Cotswold countryside (and property) is.

We arrived about 90 minutes before kick off and having refuelled (great fish & chips) we asked a steward where we could have a couple of pints and were pointed in the direction of the local community centre. As we walked in, the first person we spotted was Westwood, but for once he was remarkably sober, and actually well mannered! There were more Pompey fans in than CTFC fans, but it was all very friendly, and at £2.50 a pint, thank you very much!

The ground is one of the nicer ones in this division, and our view from behind the goal was an excellent one. We arrived just as the players were finishing their warm up, and very interestingly for me, before leaving the ground Gary Waddock gathered them all into a circle/huddle and stood amongst them giving only what I can assume was a motivational talking to.

On to the game:

To be honest, the first half was much ado about nothing, with neither side looking at all threatening and 0-0 at half time wold have been a fair reflection. However, their left wing Sterling-James grabbed the ball outside the box just before half time, ran into the box and fired home from a very tight angle. To be honest, I think Jones, like us, thought he was going to cross the ball. I haven't seen it on TV yet, but at the time I thought Jones could have done better.

Early on in the second half, their same player was one on one with Jones who saved brilliantly low down - so if their goal could have been saved, Jones made amends with this. If that had gone in I suggest it would have been curtains for us. However, a few minutes later Jack Whatmough picked up the ball near the half way line and went on a fantastic run, playing a great ball to Nigel Atangana who smashed it in off the cross bar. Cue mental celebrations! At this point, if there was to be a winner it would only have been us. We absolutely dominated the second half, and really should have won. we left the ground feeling it was 2 points lost, rather than one gained. Yet again, Awford left it really late to make any changes, substituting a cramping Atangana with Barcham in the 84th minute - far too little, far too late in my humble opinion.

With regards to the performances of our players, Whatmough and Robinson were excellent, and Devera had a very solid game. In midfield, Bean, Hollands, Atangana and Lee Holmes all had very good games. Jed didn't really get into it, though showed glimpses of what he is all about. Unfortunately, teams are now aware of him, and he was man marked by two of their players throughout. Butler also didn't have his best game, but did ok.

Whilst we undoubtedly had the better of the possession - even the stats prove it (45% : 55%) we rarely looked a threat. There was not enough width in the team for my liking, and you do have to question the set up, coaching, etc. It looked like we were playing 4 5 1 or possibly 4 2 3 1 yesterday, and if we revert back to 4 4 2 on Boxing Day I suspect Atangana will be dropped which would be really harsh on him after yesterday's performance.

Gary Waddock has now had a whole week with the players, and for me it definitely showed. We performed with a degree more commitment, defended far more resiliently and looked more together as a group. We just need to sort out the tactics now as we certainly have good enough players.

A brief word for the 1,100 or so travelling Pompey fans who were back to their best yesterday (though the Andy Awford's Blue Army chants were yet again muted).

On to Boxing Day. The Wimbledon game is one we need to get 3 points from as I don't see us getting anything from Luton.

Merry Christmas everyone from a slightly more satisfied Pompey supporter :thumb
Last edited by Selsey Bill on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Back from the Cheltenham game

Post by Earl Grey »

Thanks for the report, SB.

The TV highlights certainly showed Atangana's goal to be special. Also Danny Hollands effort early on looked spectacular.

Let's hope Waddock's motivating them...and, of course, the defence looks so much better with Whatmough in the side....and Chorley out of it.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:We arrived just as the players were finishing their warm up, and very interestingly for me, before leaving the ground Gary Waddock gathered them all into a circle/huddle and stood amongst them giving only what I can assume was a motivational talking to.
Earl Grey wrote:Let's hope Waddock's motivating them...
Coaching them hopefully...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Many thanks for an interesting report.

For many games this season, Pompey have played much better in the second half than the first. Any idea why?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:We arrived just as the players were finishing their warm up, and very interestingly for me, before leaving the ground Gary Waddock gathered them all into a circle/huddle and stood amongst them giving only what I can assume was a motivational talking to.
Earl Grey wrote:Let's hope Waddock's motivating them...
Coaching them hopefully...
Well, that too, of course. Kind of goes without saying that you hire a coach to coach but if he can also motivate them then.....errmm...do we need Awfs at all? :wink:

Now there's a more established coach around the place maybe Awfs will learn to manage the squad in the same way he did at the end of last season i.e. as if he had to throw everything into winning games. This league doesn't lend itself to the Barker philosophy of building from the back, holding on to that point you start out with.

I hope Waddock will remove from Awford that focus on him that was crippling his confidence causing him to make crazy decisions or even not act at all when it was needed.

Maybe they'll develop into a kind of Clough-Taylor type of leadership where they dovetail nicely into a successful partnership, hopefully without the rift.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:Kind of goes without saying that you hire a coach to coach but if he can also motivate them then.....errmm...do we need Awfs at all? :wink:
A fresh voice does help. The example to use is Sir Alex Ferguson who went through several coaches and his teams evolved with each new appointment. A manager cannot do everything himself and shouldn't as the role is larger than just coaching and motivating.

Football isn't a science and changing one part of the coaching team to make the whole better is a sensible experiment for Awfs and the board to try. People just need to chill and see how this experiment progresses.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Didn't make the game, so thanks for the report (again!) SB. Just a couple of general points.

If that is our best team (playing 4-2-3-1), can we manage to stick to it for while?; at least until Dunne is ready to return. There might be an argument for working Westcarr into home games, but little else. All this chopping and changing has, I believe, had a serious negative impact on the team this season. Awfs seems to recognise this in his comments about having too many players, but I think he has over-prioritised keeping everyone happy.

On substitutes, if we are going to use Storey and Barcham as impact subs (and that is a reasonable idea), then they need to be introduced at a point when they can make an impact. Obviously, every game is different, but putting them on with less than 20 minutes to go is pretty pointless, and nearer 30 would be ideal.

How did Hollands do? Should he be the one to make way if we want Westcarr back against Wimbledon?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
How did Hollands do? Should he be the one to make way if we want Westcarr back against Wimbledon?
Hollands had one of his better games for us this season yesterday, and was unlucky not to score early on from his overhead kick. He did what he does best which is to break up the opposition's play. He certainly got stuck in yesterday, and played his part. I still don't see him as a natural leader on the pitch though and hope & pray that when Dunne is back they give him the armband.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

A somewhat frivolous question SB - I gather that 12 Father Christmas's ran on the pitch at Half Time and were ejected from the ground by Stewards. Were they Pompey fans or did they belong to the Home Side?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I was at Whaddon Road as well, but in the Home section with two of my Grandsons and one of my Son in Laws. I go along with most of SB`s excellent account. The defence looked a million times better than last weeks humilation against Stanley. I felt that Nigel and Jack were our best Players, but Taylor and Lee Holmes were a disappointment. We need a better target man than Taylor, someone behind us suggested he was somewhat like Kitson. My version would be (given that Kitson was bad when he was with us) Taylor is a "cr@p" Kitson!

Much improved from last week, but we need to find a Striker who can score goals!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:Much improved from last week, but we need to find a Striker who can score goals!
Someone like Steve Morison would be great...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:A somewhat frivolous question SB - I gather that 12 Father Christmas's ran on the pitch at Half Time and were ejected from the ground by Stewards. Were they Pompey fans or did they belong to the Home Side?
Evening Pomp, I was in the gents when this happened, but according to one of my lads they were CTFC supporters
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:
Much improved from last week, but we need to find a Striker who can score goals!
Why, oh why, did we not sign Ruben Reid when we had a chance? I reckon if we'd signed him we'd be in the play offs at worst right now.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Selsey Bill"][quote="BlueinPLtwenty"]

Much improved from last week, but we need to find a Striker who can score goals![/quote]

Why, oh why, did we not sign Ruben Reid when we had a chance? I reckon if we'd signed him we'd be in the play offs at worst right now.[/quote]

My local contacts in Plymouth tell me there was never any danger of Reid going anywhere else. There was a lot of talk but much of it was to up the "anti" on what he was offered by Argyle. He also has problems outside the game, I believe he is on Police Bail at the moment for his involvement in a punch up outside a Night Club in Plymouth. Did Andy make enquires and find that there were these "Character Flaws". I have to say I was surprised Yeovil did not offer him a new contract, because he was on loan to Plymouth all last season!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote:
BlueinPLtwenty wrote:
Why, oh why, did we not sign Ruben Reid when we had a chance? I reckon if we'd signed him we'd be in the play offs at worst right now.
I think there is a bit of revisionist history there. I don't recall a lot of clamour to sign Reid in the summer, if he was even genuinely interested, and he certainly had issues both on and off the field. He just happens to be the League 2 striker that has got it together this season, and it is never easy to predict which strikers are suddenly going to do that. There is absolutely no certainty that Reid would have done as well at Pompey; players play in teams and can look wildly different on changing clubs.

If asked, I would have predicted Craig Westcarr to be as good for Pompey as Reid has been for Argyle this year, and I would have been wrong. That's the chance you take as a manager/club.