OT - New Z vs Engerland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

OT - New Z vs Engerland

Post by Earl Grey »

Woken up by the cats so thought I'd listen to the cricket.

Seeing England's total I assumed weather had shortened the game....but no.

What an embarrassing collapse.

Time for Peter Moores to step aside.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: OT - New Z vs Engerland

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Unreal .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pitiful.

NZ are certainly unstoppable on their own turf right now.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

Just read a report. Jonathan Trott - " Southee bowled a perfect length for the conditions". Is it to difficult for Mr. Broad and Mr. Finn to follow suit? Woakes seemed able to do it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

brian lewis wrote:Just read a report. Jonathan Trott - " Southee bowled a perfect length for the conditions". Is it to difficult for Mr. Broad and Mr. Finn to follow suit? Woakes seemed able to do it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Broad's figures are a disgrace. Finn's bowling figures are so bad they're laughable...two overs for 49 runs.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

All so predictable IMO. England are no match for the best at this form of the game, batting we're so brittle its untrue. We also tend to play the wrong sort of batting, a quick glance @ the stats usually shows how pedestrian our batsmen compared to others. The lack of sixes is something I've noticed for a long time whilst others rack em up. England seem to bat to a restrictive game plan.
Bowling is a pile of *****, is Broad even international class anymore? Finn is more Test bowler than one dayer. Still we can always bring Tredwill in-yep that'll fix it. :?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

pompeygunner wrote:All so predictable IMO. England are no match for the best at this form of the game, batting we're so brittle its untrue. We also tend to play the wrong sort of batting, a quick glance @ the stats usually shows how pedestrian our batsmen compared to others. The lack of sixes is something I've noticed for a long time whilst others rack em up. England seem to bat to a restrictive game plan.
Bowling is a pile of *****, is Broad even international class anymore? Finn is more Test bowler than one dayer. Still we can always bring Tredwill in-yep that'll fix it. :?
Pretty much spot on.

England have never been a decent ODI side. This time around, the pitches are all batsman friendly uber-flat tracks, largely designed to make sure games go the distance for maximum TV revenue. Advertisers must be running miles away from England games.

As you said, we're not set up for this tournament. We're the only team where the bowling line up is stronger than the batting. But even so, the elementary mistakes with the bat were just criminal. If a bowler is getting movement, then you bat outside your crease to help nullify the late swing - not try and play it off the back foot. Southee and Boult are the best new ball pair around, but that's no excuse. Playing in NZ is like playing at home : flat tracks, and the ball always swings more than it does in Australia.

England will still qualify for the QF I think, the two worst games are over. We just need to roll over Scotland and UAE, and grab a win over Pakistan and Bangladesh, ideally finishing 3rd in the group (4th will almost certainly play South Africa in the QF). England need to forget about the big hitting, and do what this team is good at - grinding out runs. Then back the bowlers to defend 260-280, which they can do.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."