Our Chairmans behaviour

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pfccumbria
Collins Mbesuma

Our Chairmans behaviour

Post by pfccumbria »

I am a regular viewer but not a regular poster however I thought I ought to share my observations on the behaviour of our Chairman on Saturday. I was fortunate enough to have been at the game on saturday. As I live in Cumbria it is difficult to get to many games and generally only away games (Burton,York, Bury and Tranmere so far). I managed to get my hands on a ticket in the main stand along with a sprinkling of other Pompey fans. I found myself about 3 rows behind the directors box. It is hard not to get enthusiastic at the sight of your team winning so convincingly, our Chairman and his group got excited with every goal - as we all did. However, when the final goal went in a number of Cambridge fans chose to leave. In doing so they had to walk in front of the Directors box. They were met by what appeared to be our Chairman goading them by offering his hand to each of them as they walked past. He may have thought he was being genuine but I have to say that it appeared to me that he was intentionally trying to wind them up - he succeeded, I witnessed one trying to elbow him out the way and another telling him to 'F off'. He appeared to find this all very amusing and continued trying to offer handshakes to passing disgruntled Cambridge fans - most of which just blanked him.
I have to say I wasn't impressed and I expected a bit more responsibility, maturity, dignity and recognition of the ambassadorial role that he should fulfil - God knows what the Cambridge directors made of it all.

Anyway I would be interested if this behaviour appears out of character by those who either know him or witness his actions on a more regular basis.
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Our Chairmans behaviour

Post by Mr Nuts »

There's a fair few arrogant chairmen about.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Iain does have a bit of a reputation for being a bit larger than life, his antics dont go unnoticed though. Like giving Tubbs a standing ovation on boxing day after he'd scored against us (Iain apparently wanted to sign him last summer) & generally behaving in an unchairman like way.
Those that know him say good things about him, got the clubs best interests @ heart etc. But IMO he needs to reign in the antics.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Iain does have a bit of a reputation for being a bit larger than life, his antics dont go unnoticed though. Like giving Tubbs a standing ovation on boxing day after he'd scored against us (Iain apparently wanted to sign him last summer) & generally behaving in an unchairman like way.
Those that know him say good things about him, got the clubs best interests @ heart etc. But IMO he needs to reign in the antics.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I'll second that with just the one post Pompeygunner

Difficult to criticise unusual happy antics, in our house I was ring a ring roses in the front room listening to the radio with the grandchildren after every goal we scored. I was so glad we didn't score seven, I was struggling.Another goal might have been the end for me!
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The alternative is what?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

If he wants to behave like that perhaps he would be better suited in the away end rather than the directors box.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

No,no,no

The away end are true supporters, although I believe our Chairman is a true lover of our blessed football club.

The real animals in football are the 'fit and proper' people who own the clubs. Keep them away from us-the true supporters.

Keep the animals in their cage I say.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln