Back from the Tranmere game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Back from the Tranmere game

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Having watched the goals on tv I still can't work out how their 2nd goal was allowed to stand. Their centre forward tried to punch the ball in, so surely the intent should be enough to award a free kick to us. Funniest part was their keeper suddenly speeding up his free kicks/goal kicks having taking so long for most of the game
Vince
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Fratton End Exile wrote:Having watched the goals on tv I still can't work out how their 2nd goal was allowed to stand. Their centre forward tried to punch the ball in, so surely the intent should be enough to award a free kick to us. Funniest part was their keeper suddenly speeding up his free kicks/goal kicks having taking so long for most of the game
I agree on both counts, but the latter was slightly tempered by the referee's attitude to Jones the first time he had a goal kick after we were 3-2 up. The referee looked like he was about to book Jones for 'taking his time' though I suspect he thought the better of it as I'm not sure he would have got off the pitch in one piece.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Goal cam view of their second goal. Looks like their No 9 didn't touch it with his hand, and that Devera kicked the ball against Jones for a very unfortunate own goal by the keeper:

http://www.pompeypress.co.uk/p620599322 ... #h2410e331
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Selsey Bill wrote:Goal cam view of their second goal. Looks like their No 9 didn't touch it with his hand, and that Devera kicked the ball against Jones for a very unfortunate own goal by the keeper: http://www.pompeypress.co.uk/p620599322 ... #h2410e331
Cheers (as always) for the report SB, much appreciated - and from all the other attendees too! :thumb

Wondered about the 2nd goal, took a few minutes, and I think (in real time) it's still inconclusive, (and still, with this err.. 'still' it er, still is) :wink: - as to whether he handballed at all. Some 'contact' from their CF got it over Jones' head? ..and he didn't celebrate much either (expecting a booking maybe?)

Anyways, doesn't really matter I s'pose, Joe was there, and Jones was just unfortunate to be right in the way of the clearance* (Didn't we have one of these 'for' us, last season?)

(*I say that though, but would've felt a sight different if that had been it, we'd lost 0v2 or 3, and Awfs would've probably been a game or two away from the sack??) Fine lines, isn't it?
Attachments
Tranmere 2nd.jpg
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks for the link to the goals SB. The defending by their 29 for the winner is absolutely awful. If that had been against Pompey we would have been calling for the head of the player.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Thanks for the link to the goals SB. The defending by their 29 for the winner is absolutely awful. If that had been against Pompey we would have been calling for the head of the player.
You're welcome! Don't want to split hairs with you PP but their No 29 was Donnelly, the Swansea loanee, who looked very good and played a huge part in their opening goal, was not on the pitch by this stage, so it wasn't him. Their defending was shocking though. They were visibly rocked by our 2nd goal, and then the ensuing Fratton roar. It was one of those great Fratton Park moments we will all look back on in years to come.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Smart finish from 'Lazy' Westcarr to get the ball rolling, cracking finish form Taylor for the second too.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

This video gives a very good look at that second Tranmere goal and how the forward puts Jones off his stroke.

Not sure how legal what he did is - given he didn't touch it - but it sure was effective.

It's quite a good video anyway giving a slightly different view of the game.

[youtube][/youtube]
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.