Can you speak Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Can you speak Pompey

Post by dickinson »

I believe the good lady (Dr Clark)has missed a few

One I seem to remember was the 'oggin' being referred to as the sea

Scum was another but forget what it refers to!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/glossa ... -1-6600056
Last edited by dickinson on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Can you speak Pompey

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

dickinson wrote:[urlhttp://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/glossary-of-p ... -1-6600056][/url]

I'm the good lady (Dr Clark)has missed a few

One I seem to remember was the 'oggin' being referred to as the sea

Scum was another but forget what it refers to!
Oggin is also used as a term for Water ( all types as opposed to just sea ) I think .

AS for the term Scum , Well , that is the ultimate urban Myth .
Last edited by Number 1 Jasper on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

And Mush was excluded, on the question of the Pompey Dot, never heard their explanation of it, a pompey dot in my day was a home made tattoo on the finger made using any old poisonous ink and normally a cheap compass at school !!
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pompski! »

Yes that's how I remember the Pompey Dot. I believe my idiot brother has one.

"a'right geez" is surely another contender?
I am me, the universe and you.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I think the term 'scum' originates from a Dockers strike about 1900. I think Southampton dockers returned to work and left us in the mire!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

dickinson wrote:I think the term 'scum' originates from a Dockers strike about 1900. I think Southampton dockers returned to work and left us in the mire!

Like I said , an urban myth .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
dickinson wrote:I think the term 'scum' originates from a Dockers strike about 1900. I think Southampton dockers returned to work and left us in the mire!

Like I said , an urban myth .
Yeah, that ones been debunked plenty. No record of the term ever being used prior to the 1960s. And regarding the 1950s strike - no merchant dockers were ever drafted for labour into a Naval dockyard.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Skate- I think is a Pompey word meaning a member of our Royal Navy

Shame to learn about about the origin of the 'scum' legend having no basis of fact. I always understood it to refer to the acronym from Southampton Company of Union Men. Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true. Thanks for putting me right.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Scum is a by product of the oggin, a bit like a turd that floats.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

An art or design student used local slang as the basis for a map she made of Portsmouth. She went around collecting phrases and then replaced road names with them. I've got a framed version in my lounge to remind me of the city.

edit: here we go: http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog ... eak-pompey
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

Isn't Skate derived from the piscine sexual habits of Napoleon seamen?
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I think the union men story first appeared in Frattonise around 1996/7 and was probably made up by Dave Benneworth. It was definitely Dave who wrote it for that august organ. I had definitely not heard of it before then. Also, I never heard S*********n fans referred to as scum or scummers in the 1960s or early 70s. Then I was away for a few years, and when I came back, there were scummers! So, my guess is that it was coined when we were last in Division 4.

"Skate" is indeed a reference to sailors on any vessels, not just RN, enjoying themselves with fish of the ray family, although it has become a slang name for RN personnel. The female ray has an ovipositor that resembles in some ways human ladyparts. This is why you seldom see a whole one in a fishmongers.

I don't mind fans from down the road calling me a skate, in fact I quite like it. I'd rather f**k fish than support Saints.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

<dj.> wrote:I think the union men story first appeared in Frattonise around 1996/7 and was probably made up by Dave Benneworth. It was definitely Dave who wrote it for that august organ. I had definitely not heard of it before then. Also, I never heard S*********n fans referred to as scum or scummers in the 1960s or early 70s. Then I was away for a few years, and when I came back, there were scummers! So, my guess is that it was coined when we were last in Division 4.

"Skate" is indeed a reference to sailors on any vessels, not just RN, enjoying themselves with fish of the ray family, although it has become a slang name for RN personnel. The female ray has an ovipositor that resembles in some ways human ladyparts. This is why you seldom see a whole one in a fishmongers.

I don't mind fans from down the road calling me a skate, in fact I quite like it. I'd rather f**k fish than support Saints.
:lol: