Back from the AFC Wimbledon game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Back from the AFC Wimbledon game

Post by Earl Grey »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote: every time a Pompey player is within ten yards of him, Awford will instruct that player to move a fraction of an inch away. I think it's called micro-management in office- speak, but god knows how irritating the players must find it.
I have to say that this is the thing that REALLY gets to me, too.

You spend all week training and organising and setting the players up to deal with the opposition and then you don't trust them to do it FFS.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Seems there are some unhappy punters.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Pompey1985 wrote:Seems there are some unhappy punters.
Can't possibly imagine why?

What's wrong with introducing two loan players into a crucial play off seeking match when we had the ammunition in the squad to play better. I would have played Ertl,Chorley and Devera. Butler at full back.

What's wrong with having just one shot on target when Accrington were down to just 10 men?

What's wrong with destroying a promising player in the shape of Webster out of position for 20 odd games, not surprisingly doesn't give of his best, has the crowd on his back and then expect him to perform with confidence only to make mistakes and pull him off at half time? Then drop him for the next game? A real confidence builder.

What's wrong with perpetually tinkering about with the side week on week at the start of the season?

What's wrong with not going for the three point win instead of playing defensively whenever we have the chance of a draw. The only time he showed some sense of adventure was against Cambridge, even then his hand was forced?

What's wrong with only achieving two away wins all season?

What's wrong with our league position given our squad size and player budgets being some of the best in the league?

I'm sure there are many more things I can think of if given time, you may not agree with my grievances but your entitled your opinion, but these are mine.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

dickinson wrote:

What's wrong with introducing two loan players into a crucial play off seeking match when we had the ammunition in the squad to play better. I would have played Ertl,Chorley and Devera.

What's wrong with having just one shot on target when Accrington were down to just 10 men?

What's wrong with destroying a promising player in the shape of Webster out of position for 20 odd games, not surprisingly doesn't give of his best, has the crowd on his back and then expect him to perform with confidence only to make mistakes and pull him off at half time? Then drop him for the next game? A real confidence builder.

What's wrong with perpetually tinkering about with the side week on week at the start of the season?

What's wrong with not going for the three point win instead of playing defensively whenever we have the chance of a draw. The only time he showed some sense of adventure was against Cambridge, even then his hand was forced?

What's wrong with our league position given our squad size and player budgets being some of the best in the league?

I'm sure there are many more things I can think of if given time, you may not agree with my grievances but your entitled your opinion, but these are mine.
I do agree with you actually Dickinson, apart from your back 3.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I don't particularly want to get into the Webster debate again, but some players need to be protected emotionally more than others. Webster is, I believe, a sensitive lad, with ability. He needs to be looked after and it's now more important to get him ready for next season IMO. If he failed against Akinfenwe I would have feared for the lad, the consequences of this would not be of benefit to his long term professional career. May be AA thought the same.
Last edited by dickinson on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

dickinson wrote:

What's wrong with introducing two loan players into a crucial play off seeking match when we had the ammunition in the squad to play better. I would have played Ertl,Chorley and Devera. Butler at full back.

Didn't say I didn't agree. He should have gone back when they had the board meeting.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

With reluctance Pompey 1985, I think you may be right.

Forget to mention AA's inability to use subs effectively.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Earl Grey wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote: every time a Pompey player is within ten yards of him, Awford will instruct that player to move a fraction of an inch away. I think it's called micro-management in office- speak, but god knows how irritating the players must find it.
I have to say that this is the thing that REALLY gets to me, too.

You spend all week training and organising and setting the players up to deal with the opposition and then you don't trust them to do it FFS.
Yes, I did spot this!! My ST is in the North Stand Lower at FP so I can't usually see what Awford is up to so I found this part of the experience very interesting. Also, McCallum must have come over to Awford at least half a dozen times looking for direction. i.e. he didn't have a scooby what he should be doing, and nor obviously did Awford. I believe McCallum actually has potential, but it is not being utilised to any effect at the moment. If anything, Awford is coaching it out of him!

Interestingly, I went to a business motivational seminar a few weeks ago at Lords Cricket Ground. It was hosted by John Inverdale and had some excellent speakers, including Sir Ian McGeechan, the British & Irish Lions coach, who was excellent. You have to respect any man who has led a Lions tour to victory down under and in South Africa. It's a shame Awfs wasn't there too. He could have learned more than he'll ever know from Geech about man management. Unfortunately, Awfs just doesn't have it I'm afraid :(
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

Where was Fogden Saturday, he must be fit to be on the bench, why only give him 12mins when we were crying out for a positive approach. If a player needs a bit more recuperation then I would start him and substitute when and if required, coming on at the death when the team is losing makes a player a bit more gung ho with a greater risk of over-exertion.
Talking of over-exertion, watching the Players troop off the pitch on a Saturday, most of them look as if they have been for a Sunday afternoon stroll, our team is put to shame by the energy of opposing sides at Fratton. The majority of our team only move into action when the ball approaches them, there is no proactivity on the pitch, no moving into space, no calling for the ball and no players making themselves available for a pass. Awford has failed to establish a team ethos, they are not playing for each other enough, after a match they walk off as individuals, very little banter between players.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

dickinson wrote:I don't particularly want to get into the Webster debate again, but some players need to be protected emotionally more than others. Webster is, I believe, a sensitive lad, with ability. He needs to be looked after and it's now more important to get him ready for next season IMO. If he failed against Akinfenwe I would have feared for the lad, the consequences of this would not be of benefit to his long term professional career. May be AA thought the same.
I love the way you've reached your conclusion based on just one full game plus a bit of another in his natural CB role.

Yet you're happy to pick Chorley!

I can point to a sizeable number of games where Chorley's involvement has cost us, on average, twice as many goals as when he isn't there.

Use logic.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Earl Grey wrote:
dickinson wrote:I don't particularly want to get into the Webster debate again, but some players need to be protected emotionally more than others. Webster is, I believe, a sensitive lad, with ability. He needs to be looked after and it's now more important to get him ready for next season IMO. If he failed against Akinfenwe I would have feared for the lad, the consequences of this would not be of benefit to his long term professional career. May be AA thought the same.
I love the way you've reached your conclusion based on just one full game plus a bit of another in his natural CB role.

Yet you're happy to pick Chorley!

I can point to a sizeable number of games where Chorley's involvement has cost us, on average, twice as many goals as when he isn't there.

Use logic.
In how many games where Chorley has played has Adam Webster also played?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeymick wrote:Where was Fogden Saturday, he must be fit to be on the bench, why only give him 12mins when we were crying out for a positive approach. If a player needs a bit more recuperation then I would start him and substitute when and if required, coming on at the death when the team is losing makes a player a bit more gung ho with a greater risk of over-exertion.
Spot on Mick! Foggy was in my starting line up for Saturday.
pompeymick wrote: The majority of our team only move into action when the ball approaches them, there is no proactivity on the pitch, no moving into space, no calling for the ball and no players making themselves available for a pass.
The one player we have who always wants the ball (unlike Danny Hollands) is .... Nigel Atangana
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

You could certainly argue that our centre midfield for the rest of the season should be Fogden and Atangana. They need the games; Dunne and Hollands don't. It might make the latter two realise that they have to compete for their places next season.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
pompeymick wrote:Where was Fogden Saturday, he must be fit to be on the bench, why only give him 12mins when we were crying out for a positive approach. If a player needs a bit more recuperation then I would start him and substitute when and if required, coming on at the death when the team is losing makes a player a bit more gung ho with a greater risk of over-exertion.
Spot on Mick! Foggy was in my starting line up for Saturday.
pompeymick wrote: The majority of our team only move into action when the ball approaches them, there is no proactivity on the pitch, no moving into space, no calling for the ball and no players making themselves available for a pass.
The one player we have who always wants the ball (unlike Danny Hollands) is .... Nigel Atangana
Of the games I have seen Nigel I'm unconvinced by him. I think he holds the ball too long. How many assists has he had?
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

I think Atangana is another victim of Awford's reluctance to play a settled team - I'd have given him at least six games alongside Dunne, when the formation reverted to 3-5-2, to establish partnerships with Dunne and Wallace. Every time Atangana is selected it's as though he is starting from scratch. Poor player management, par for the course.

Re Dunne, PP, I'm fairly certain he's carrying a minor injury. Something's not quite right with him. Still, I at least agree with Awford that a 80% Dunne is better than anyone else we have in that position!