OT - King Richard III

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

OT - King Richard III

Post by Earl Grey »

Anyone see yesterday on Ch4 the remains of King Richard III being transferred from Leicester Uni to the same city's cathedral?
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rich ... /57534-001

It was a lengthy programme, just short of 3 hours, but I managed to stay the course.

It makes you wonder how Richard III's re-burial on Thursday wasn't promoted to a full Sate Funeral.

He was the King, after all!

I'm guessing that the bad Press he received from a Tudor-inspired Shakespeare meant that Cameron and Her Maj didn't want to be too closely associated with him.

But it seems Richard III wasn't so contrary in his behaviour to other monarchs of the era....indeed I understand he's responsible for such things as "Innocent until proven guilty" and, if imprisoned before a trial, the right to bail for rich and poor alike among other social reforms - the law translated to English so anyone could understand it for instance......

So not such a bad guy in the context of his times.

I mean, if you're going to give Maggie a State Funeral then surely this guy should have one.

This is such a unique event, too. It's almost certain that nothing like this will ever happen again.

It's an opportunity that has been missed by this country to show the full majesty due a King against whom there is only circumstantial evidence.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Re: OT - King Richard III

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Totally agree, matey. This was a lost opportunity for a substantial amount of good old British pomp and ceremony. Full service with honours in London, then this smaller affair in Leicester.

The inevitable full global coverage (noticeably lacking with this effort) would have seen a surge in hotel bookings for the coming summer.

In short: They've gone ballsed it up.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

+1 :thumb

I did wonder if there was *any* Royal involvement - but apparently a 'message was sent' by HRH Queenie.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:+1 :thumb

I did wonder if there was *any* Royal involvement - but apparently a 'message was sent' by HRH Queenie.
The Duke of Gloucester was there on Sunday for the transfer of bones to the cathedral...and, by coincidence, his name is Richard, too. So since King Richard III was the Duke of Gloucester, it's quite fitting that Richard, the current Duke of Gloucester was there.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Totally agree, matey. This was a lost opportunity for a substantial amount of good old British pomp and ceremony. Full service with honours in London, then this smaller affair in Leicester.

The inevitable full global coverage (noticeably lacking with this effort) would have seen a surge in hotel bookings for the coming summer.

In short: They've gone ballsed it up.
:thumb
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote:
But it seems Richard III wasn't so contrary in his behaviour to other monarchs of the era....indeed I understand he's responsible for such things as "Innocent until proven guilty" and, if imprisoned before a trial, the right to bail for rich and poor alike among other social reforms - the law translated to English so anyone could understand it for instance......
AIUI, much of Magna Carta wasn't actually implemented by King John in 1215 (because tbh, he just plain didn't want to), but by Richard III, 200 hundred odd years later. I think one of the earlier Henries (no, not the small vaccuum cleaners) implemented some other bits before Richard.

And for further info (though not 100% accu-rat) please see

[youtube][/youtube]
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

the_lock_man wrote:
And for further info (though not 100% accu-rat) please see

[youtube][/youtube]
Love it.

Went to see what all the fuss is about yesterday (day before re-burial).

Pretty good day out...even had the good fortune to speak very briefly with Phillipa Langley, Richard Buckley and Matthew Morris who were all part of the team that found R3's skeleton. Didn't see Gary Lineker or Willie Thorne, though - pretty poor show imo.

The cathedral is a bit on the bijou side proportionally - looks bigger on the telly, though.

The car park where they found the King is an actual stones throw from the cathedral so took the opportunity to walk around the exhibition which included the original grave itself.

Worth a look-see imho, even though the re-interment has already happened now.