Bad News for Jack & Us

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinMontreal
Gary O'Neil

Bad News for Jack & Us

Post by BlueinMontreal »

Jack Whatmough has been ruled out through injury for six months.

The teenage defender suffered anterior cruciate ligament damage in Pompey’s 2-2 draw with Cheltenham last week.

A challenge from the Robins’ Shaun Harrad saw the Gosport youngster limp off in stoppage-time, with the Blues having used all three of their substitutes.
Co-Author of "Montreal International Firework Competition"
Regular price $30.00 Now ON SALE $20.00
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Bad News for Jack & Us

Post by Pompey1985 »

Seems to struggle with his knees a lot for such a young professional.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

More likely he will be lining up for us shortly after the start of next season now.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

In hindsight, he should have come off the pitch immediately rather playing on for the last few minutes.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

dickinson wrote:In hindsight, he should have come off the pitch immediately rather playing on for the last few minutes.
He didn't really play on, hobbled to the half way line, thought better of it and walked off.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Stand corrected, you're right.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

dickinson wrote:In hindsight, he should have come off the pitch immediately rather playing on for the last few minutes.
The damage had already been done. You could tell it was bad from his immediate reaction and I feared the worst there and then. I tore my anterior cruciate ligament on my right knee skiing a few years ago - it was seriously painful, and was still hurting 6 months after I did it. He's far younger and fitter than I was, and will get far more treatment and rehabilitation, so hopefully the 6 months is realistic. That still takes us to the beginning of October at the earliest. What it does mean is that we now need to sign a replacement CB to play alongside Robbo as a priority.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Agree with you entirely, I wonder if he wanted to have a look at Nosworthy for that specific purpose, maybe on a short term contract. I personally hope not but I'm just putting it out there.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

dickinson wrote:Agree with you entirely, I wonder if he wanted to have a look at Nosworthy for that specific purpose, maybe on a short term contract. I personally hope not but I'm just putting it out there.
Awford already knew he needed cover at CB before the Whatmough news, but maybe not for such a long period. I actually thought Nosworthy did OK on Saturday, considering how much recent game time he has had, and I think he will improve with match fitness. Akinfenwe was a complete handful, and for the most part NN had him under control. Before judging him too much I would like to see him play a few more games, which I suspect he will, and I would also want to see him up against a smaller, more pacey player as I fear he could struggle more against this type? He very nearly got done on a couple of occasions when 1 on 1 as the last defender, both times up against a smaller player.