Back from the Shrewsbury game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Back from the Shrewsbury game

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote: I wouldn't give him another penny to spend.
I'm very firmly in your camp.
They needed to be firmer with him at xmas and given a new gaffer half a season with that run of games we had then (the ones we managed to get some points from) under a new manager we might have kicked on, and if we didn't make the play offs they would have been able to formulate a shopping list and a plan for next season.

The season is over for us, yet Andy refuses to change things up a bit, to me this says this is his preferred set up and it serves up dire dire football.

This is his team, he has had money to spend and its woeful. The players look lost and confused, they don't become bad players over night, they play with no freedom.
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Post by LiT other account »

They pressed the panic button last season and things got worse with Barker. They didn't need to panic this season and now they have more room to make an informed decision.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

LiT other account wrote:They pressed the panic button last season and things got worse with Barker. They didn't need to panic this season and now they have more room to make an informed decision.
That's because those who selected Richie Barker showed poor judgement.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

They are still there and will choose the next manager as well.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Frightening isn't it !
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

LiT other account wrote:They are still there and will choose the next manager as well.
Not all of them are still there.
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Pompey1985 wrote:
LiT other account wrote:They are still there and will choose the next manager as well.
Not all of them are still there.
Okay apart from Mick Williams, the other six directors are still there.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

dickinson wrote:
LiT other account wrote:They pressed the panic button last season and things got worse with Barker. They didn't need to panic this season and now they have more room to make an informed decision.
Poor judgement? You can't tell me they picked Barker other than to make a killing with the bookies...or at least one of them was persuading the others with dodgy arguments for that purpose. How do you explain the odds for Barker dropping like a lead balloon before they'd even finished interviewing?

And how incredibly rude not interviewing Jamo and Herman.....
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I hope EG, that you are not suggesting that there have been corrupt practises taking place amongst the boardroom at Fratton Park? Now that would be something!

We could call it Pompeygate or Frattongate, it would certainly take our attention away from the daily humdrum of the election!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Earl Grey wrote:
dickinson wrote:
Poor judgement? You can't tell me they picked Barker other than to make a killing with the bookies...or at least one of them was persuading the others with dodgy arguments for that purpose. How do you explain the odds for Barker dropping like a lead balloon before they'd even finished interviewing?

And how incredibly rude not interviewing Jamo and Herman.....
I always took that as Catlin's input, it was denied of course but IMO his input plus the draw of Coppel swung it. An easy mistake to make I suppose but it cannot be repeated. Without going completely OTT if Awfs goes our next appointment has to be the right one.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

LiT other account wrote: Okay apart from Mick Williams, the other six directors are still there.
Am I right in thinking that Mick Williams played a major part in us keeping Awford at the end of January?
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

No SB, nobody in their right mind would have been that stupid! :shock:

A bit harsh SB, we did, after all, go on a good run soon after, we have to focus on the here and now.
Pompey Junglist
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Junglist »

dickinson wrote:I left today feeling humiliated and embarrassed. I just do not see any signs of progress. I'm sorry to have say this, but I cannot see us reaching the play offs next season with AA as the manager of Portsmouth FC. He is out his depth, he needs to be honest with himself, the club and the fans, and resign immediately. Let someone come in who has a clue about what he is doing and restructure the playing staff and build a new team because this one is going nowhere.

This year I have seen no evidence of good organisation, no evidence of tactical nous, no evidence of good player selection just tinkering, no evidence of ambition or progress. No evidence of risk taking to go for the three points. He is not proactive he is reactive, his management style is enshrined in the worst form of management; crisis management. I would love to be proven wrong but I would even suggest that we are currently playing like a possible relegation candidate for next year.

Go now Andy for the sake of the club, go now with your legend status and integrity still intact.

That said I am hoping that there is a Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche type person seeking an opportunity to prove himself, are the Board able enough to find this person, on their current record the answer would have to be an almost certain big fat no.
Top post, bang on.
No never, no never no more will I trust the elves of Dunsimore
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:
LiT other account wrote: Okay apart from Mick Williams, the other six directors are still there.
Am I right in thinking that Mick Williams played a major part in us keeping Awford at the end of January?
Mick was in Paris during those discussions. Its fair to say he wasn't at the centre of the debate although he did feed his opinion in.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

dickinson wrote:I left today feeling humiliated and embarrassed.
You do realise that it was just a football match? And you weren't playing? Or are people really laughing in your face because you're a Pompey fan?

Get a grip, man!