Back from the Shrewsbury game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Back from the Shrewsbury game

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
dickinson wrote:I left today feeling humiliated and embarrassed.
You do realise that it was just a football match? And you weren't playing? Or are people really laughing in your face because you're a Pompey fan?

Get a grip, man!
Sitting where I do, towards the Milton End of the NSL, I get a good impression of the away fans. The Shrewsbury fans were far less abusive than most we have seen this season, despite the fact that they were all over us. Maybe they are just nice people, but I got the impression that it was too easy for them and we weren't worth the trouble. So "humiliated and embarrassed" would be a fair assessment.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

No worries Pompey Penguin, I don't take anything MTB seriously, contributes nothing involving intelligent thought to this site.

As I see it here are two types Saints supporters on this site, the one's who make interesting, thoughtful and incisive contributions who I give respect to, these are both Southampton supporters and genuine supporters of the blessed game of football, then there are those who either don't like Pompey either because they are 'Scummers' and tend to be wind up merchants, rude and obnoxious, or they just don't like Pompey for no other reason other than pure tribal geographical hatred, they too I think are scum.

Sad, immature posters like MTB are best ignored and show disrespect not only to this site but also to their fellow genuine Southampton supporters who make considered contributions to this site.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

dickinson wrote:No worries Pompey Penguin, I don't take anything MTB seriously, contributes nothing involving intelligent thought to this site.

As I see it here are two types Saints supporters on this site, the one's who make interesting, thoughtful and incisive contributions who I give respect to, these are both Southampton supporters and genuine supporters of the blessed game of football, then there are those who either don't like Pompey either because they are 'Scummers' and tend to be wind up merchants, rude and obnoxious, or they just don't like Pompey for no other reason other than pure tribal geographical hatred, they too I think are scum.

Sad, immature posters like MTB are best ignored and show disrespect not only to this site but also to their fellow genuine Southampton supporters who make considered contributions to this site.
Whilst I agree with some of what you say regarding that poster, he/she is not a Saints fan (AFAIK).

Your observations about Saints 'fans' are probably true and most definitely work the other way around as well. Unfortunately the banter that used to exist on this MB has long gone.
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Agreed Lindford,

Quote from MTB,

'Or are people really laughing in your face because you're a Pompey fan?'

He may not be a Saints fan but

She/He Aint No Pompey either

MTB could be a virus, one for Rubi I think!
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

My son spent a lot of time watching AA with the youth team. In his opinion AA was not up to the job, at THAT level. He certainly isn't surprised at the current situation. 'Micromanagement' is a word mentioned on various threads and is completely apt.
How to proceed? Is it legal (terms of rolling contract?) to ask AA to re-apply for his job, enabling the club to advertise the post, or if it is legal would that be unfair/humilating?

I personally think AA should go. I also believe a higher calibre of coach/manager might apply than we might normally expect, men such as Adkins, Holloway and Johnson, as they are seen as 'a busted flush' at a higher level.
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Post by LiT other account »

I would take Adkins as he has a proven record and a point to prove. Whether the general fan base could tolerate a scummer remains to be seen.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

LiT other account wrote:I would take Adkins as he has a proven record and a point to prove. Whether the general fan base could tolerate a scummer remains to be seen.
Really? Surely they're not that small minded. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! He's a brilliant manager (at least he was for us) and a thoroughly decent man to boot. And I don't suppose he sees himself as a "scummer". If your fans choose to, it's their loss.

Doubt he'd be interested though.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
LiT other account wrote:I would take Adkins as he has a proven record and a point to prove. Whether the general fan base could tolerate a scummer remains to be seen.
Really? Surely they're not that small minded.
Wanna bet?

Scummer, Scummer, Scummer!!!

Just joking, Ziggy. Yes, Adkins is the sort of manager we need but, as you imply, he's probably got his sights on a higher level of football.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Post by LiT other account »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Really? Surely they're not that small minded. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! He's a brilliant manager (at least he was for us) and a thoroughly decent man to boot.

Doubt he'd be interested though.
Some are sadly. Agree re the decency but getting Pompey up the leagues might be attractive.
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

LiT other account wrote:I would take Adkins as he has a proven record and a point to prove..
NA will be managing at Championship level at least, why would he drop to League 2?
LiT other account wrote:Whether the general fan base could tolerate a scummer remains to be seen.
See above from 'dickinson'
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Lindford Saint wrote:NA will be managing at Championship level at least, why would he drop to League 2?
The challenge Lindford, the challenge and the opportunity. Horrible word "potential" in football as it covers a multiple of problems but therein lies the challenge. There are some foundations being put down (e.g. the training facility is Championship/League One standard with opportunity to be developed further) and the much-maligned academy has some useful lads in it who will be breaking into the 1st team squad in the next couple of years. The club made an operational profit last year, paid off the historic debts and there is also £3m in the bank for capital works. The club may still be a bit of a basketcase but its driven by good intentions.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I would certainly take Adkins; he has done an excellent job wherever he has managed. I thought he was harshly treated at Southampton, but the results suggest that the board there knew what they were doing as far as progressing the club was concenred. If he did as good a job for us as he did along the road, then I think all his Southampton links would soon be forgotten (see Ball, A.).

Like others, I don't think he would come, but then who expected Phil Brown to emerge at L2 Southend? These are the sort of people we should be approaching, and if they so no, then nothing is lost.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Lindford Saint wrote:NA will be managing at Championship level at least, why would he drop to League 2?
The challenge Lindford, the challenge and the opportunity. Horrible word "potential" in football as it covers a multiple of problems but therein lies the challenge. There are some foundations being put down (e.g. the training facility is Championship/League One standard with opportunity to be developed further) and the much-maligned academy has some useful lads in it who will be breaking into the 1st team squad in the next couple of years. The club made an operational profit last year, paid off the historic debts and there is also £3m in the bank for capital works. The club may still be a bit of a basketcase but its driven by good intentions.

Woah woah woah... £3million?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey1985 wrote:Woah woah woah... £3million?
What's the question?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

I think Nigel Adkins is an excellent shout, proven track record in lower leagues. The saints link can be written off, there are plenty who have crossed the divide and it's not like he is born and bred Southampton. He could build something special here and with our fan base etc there is a real opportunity for him to be part of something special.
I'm not belittling anything he has achieved to date, but our club must be a big pull for someone like him.
Vince