'bout time for another "right to bear arms" thread

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

'bout time for another "right to bear arms" thread

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/24/8283199/gu ... -jefferies

This guy says it best if you've got 15 mins to spare. Very funny but definitely not suitable for work!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: 'bout time for another "right to bear arms" thread

Post by Earl Grey »

That is simply so funny that I genuinely had tears coursing down my cheeks. Thanks, Ziggy. :thumb
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Earl Grey wrote:That is simply so funny that I genuinely had tears coursing down my cheeks. Thanks, Ziggy. :thumb
Good innit? Would have been better without the whoopin' and hollerin' but this is an American audience!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Guns are fun though...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Funny....yer still not getting my guns though.

I've added to my arsenal recently. Got a couple of Glock 9mm. Regular readers of my drivel may be aware Old Man Kid is about to set sail solo on a round the world adventure in his twilight years. He's stopping here in early 2016...well Florida anyways.... because its a tough sail to Cincinnati.... where i'll meet up with him.
And donate a nice 17 round Glock semi auto pistol and a couple of hundred rounds of low velocity ammo.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Funny....yer still not getting my guns though.

I've added to my arsenal recently. Got a couple of Glock 9mm. Regular readers of my drivel may be aware Old Man Kid is about to set sail solo on a round the world adventure in his twilight years. He's stopping here in early 2016...well Florida anyways.... because its a tough sail to Cincinnati.... where i'll meet up with him.
And donate a nice 17 round Glock semi auto pistol and a couple of hundred rounds of low velocity ammo.
You were an hour early for April Fools Day.

Would love to hear updates of your dad's journey, pirates and all. Not on my wish list of things to do - not brave enough but really admire his adventurous spirit.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Brilliant. Great argument and delivery. bl**dy funny too. Gonna share that on FB.

Oh and I'm late for work now - thanks! Good job I don't have a musket on me right now grrrrr
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:

You were an hour early for April Fools Day.

Would love to hear updates of your dad's journey, pirates and all. Not on my wish list of things to do - not brave enough but really admire his adventurous spirit.

Yeah cheers....i'll post something from time to time. His Boat is currently at Gosport named TimeWaster. Been a while since I've been in Gosport but I recall the Marina being somewhere near the Submarine that's on display....or at least was on display...near the harbor entrance?.....Anyhow....there is this modern tech these days so I can visit a website, enter his code and see the position of the boat in real time.
Dad?......
Yes Son......
Does it still give your position if you sink?
**** you son.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I've added to my arsenal recently. Got a couple of Glock 9mm.
You're mad, Mr The Kid.

You're madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year's Mr Madman competition (Blackadder - Duel and Duality). :shock:

As the Aussie comedian said, don't fill our ears with bullshine arguments, just say, "Aww, I really LIKE my guns and don't wanna give 'em up. I got no sensible arguments...I just like 'em.". :wink:
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Earl Grey wrote:
As the Aussie comedian said, don't fill our ears with bullshine arguments, just say, "Aww, I really LIKE my guns and don't wanna give 'em up. I got no sensible arguments...I just like 'em.". :wink:
So, just for arguments sake.... and given the request for someone to say; " I really LIKE my guns and don't wanna give 'em up"

Given that:
a) It is legal to have the guns
b) It is a right, protected by the 2nd Amendment
c) The person saying it has no criminal record
d) The person saying it locks his guns up in a right and proper manner
e) The person saying it is not threatening harm to others
f) The person has not been classed as insane

Why should he be forced to give up his guns by

a) People who don't know him
b) People who are never likely to meet him
c) People who decide to they don't agree with a law, whether they fully understand it or not, so therefore they are right and he is suddenly a gun-wielding monster (figuratively speaking)

I guess tolerance is something that is demanded by the Left, but only applies to the Right

This is one area where I stand firmly behind Cinci and his defense of keeping his guns.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:
So, just for arguments sake.... and given the request for someone to say; " I really LIKE my guns and don't wanna give 'em up"

Given that:
a) It is legal to have the guns
b) It is a right, protected by the 2nd Amendment
c) The person saying it has no criminal record
d) The person saying it locks his guns up in a right and proper manner
e) The person saying it is not threatening harm to others
f) The person has not been classed as insane

Why should he be forced to give up his guns by

a) People who don't know him
b) People who are never likely to meet him
c) People who decide to they don't agree with a law, whether they fully understand it or not, so therefore they are right and he is suddenly a gun-wielding monster (figuratively speaking)

I guess tolerance is something that is demanded by the Left, but only applies to the Right

This is one area where I stand firmly behind Cinci and his defense of keeping his guns.
I disagree its even a right v left issue there USPF. Sure there are plenty of Dems that want to introduce some restrictive legislation....plenty of which is quite sensible....I give you no armor piercing ammo and background checks for instance. Also I think you will find the majority of the American people are in favor of certain sensible controls.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find many Dens that want an outright ban on personal weapons though
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Also also....funny comic with some decent points.....but read down and get his story.
He had a home invasion, was tied up, beaten up and his girlfriend threatened with rape.
And he still doesn't want to be able to defend himself because he is more concerned about the negative effects on society as a whole?

Admirable principles.

I'm sure the bad guys will be admiring his principles on their next visit.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I despair, really I do.

As he pointed out, when his home was broken into by the guy with a knife, he and his girlfriend were in bed. They came in through the bedroom window. What good would a gun locked in a safe be to you? Unless of course, you keep yours loaded on the bedside table, just in case someone's out to murder you in the night and that's a weird way to live your life.

He's right - the only reason to have them is because you want them. And that's fine. Keep them! As long as you stay over there with them and can keep justifying them when the next massacre happens. Which it will.

Bonkers!
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I despair, really I do.

As he pointed out, when his home was broken into by the guy with a knife, he and his girlfriend were in bed. They came in through the bedroom window. What good would a gun locked in a safe be to you? Unless of course, you keep yours loaded on the bedside table, just in case someone's out to murder you in the night and that's a weird way to live your life.

He's right - the only reason to have them is because you want them. And that's fine. Keep them! As long as you stay over there with them and can keep justifying them when the next massacre happens. Which it will.

Bonkers!
There's a very strong correlation between easy gun availability and gun-related crime but the pro-gun lobby will deny that even while a burglar has an assault carbine shoved in their face. We see the exact same detached stubbornness in the anti-vaxxers.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I despair, really I do.

Bonkers!
There's a very strong correlation between easy gun availability and gun-related crime but the pro-gun lobby will deny that even while a burglar has an assault carbine shoved in their face. We see the exact same detached stubbornness in the anti-vaxxers.
The stubborn pro gun lobby on the right....well....they are the loud mouth ones that every issue seem to have these days.
They don't represent most of us thanks.....they're just the ones that get put in the press