Election - Will You Vote?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Election - Will You Vote?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:They're not adding another layer but evolving and empowering current authorities. The one-size-fits-all approach in England HAS to change, especially with the other nations being given greater autonomy.
Really? So do you actually believe, for argument's sake, that if there were a regional assembly for the South West of England that Cornwall CC, Devon CC, Somerset CC, would suddenly disappear or amalgamate into one? And if they did, how long before Cornwall felt that Devon were getting more than their fair share of the cake?
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:It just makes zero sense for countries of 1m-5m receiving greater powers while the one of 55m is still run from the centre.
So what do you propose, that England be divided into 10 or 20 regional assemblies? How long before those regions want full independence? And how long before further subdivision is sought, or before one region becomes envious of its neighbours because they have more wealth? I agree that one size doesn't necessarily fit all, but surely there has to be some form of over-arching National framework. It just needs to be better at balancing the differing needs of those regions.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

L Transportation wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Just seen that Labour are going to speed up local devolution, with fiscal powers thrown in, plus they are going to regulate everywhere's buses London-style.

Okay, so I *was* leaning towards blue...
Brilliant. Just what we need - another layer of bureaucracy and opportunities for even more bureaucrats to stick their noses in the trough. We already have local devolution - they're called County/Unitary/Town/Parish councils.
They're not adding another layer but evolving and empowering current authorities. The one-size-fits-all approach in England HAS to change, especially with the other nations being given greater autonomy.

It just makes zero sense for countries of 1m-5m receiving greater powers while the one of 55m is still run from the centre.
I agree with HH...
bl**dy hell .........
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

<dj.> wrote:I always vote. I find it very sad that so many people don't bother.
I agree . What I hate though , is people that don't vote , but moan about what govt do .......
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Parish councils should be abolished. Complete waste of time and money to achieve nothing other than to group the NIMBY little Hitlers together.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:They're not adding another layer but evolving and empowering current authorities. The one-size-fits-all approach in England HAS to change, especially with the other nations being given greater autonomy.
Really? So do you actually believe, for argument's sake, that if there were a regional assembly for the South West of England that Cornwall CC, Devon CC, Somerset CC, would suddenly disappear or amalgamate into one? And if they did, how long before Cornwall felt that Devon were getting more than their fair share of the cake?
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:It just makes zero sense for countries of 1m-5m receiving greater powers while the one of 55m is still run from the centre.
So what do you propose, that England be divided into 10 or 20 regional assemblies? How long before those regions want full independence? And how long before further subdivision is sought, or before one region becomes envious of its neighbours because they have more wealth? I agree that one size doesn't necessarily fit all, but surely there has to be some form of over-arching National framework. It just needs to be better at balancing the differing needs of those regions.
Even Scotland didn't want full independence, despite the additional factor of historical hatred for England that a sizeable proportion still harbour.

However I'd also be nervous about having too much devolution. As you say, there has to be some backbone of central government there.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Not interested in which party you'd vote for, but curious as to how many on here will use their vote, and how many will abstain?

I'll be casting mine :thumb
I shall be voting, without a doubt, and yes I do know for which party. I believe it's a duty to vote, and should be a legal obligation to do so, even if you vote "Abstain". As Jasper says, those who decline to use their right to vote have no real moral justification to criticise the government for any of their decisions. It is less than 100 years since The Fourth Reform Act was passed, prior to that only about 60% of men, and 0% of women had the right to vote. We all know about the huge struggle for women to be allowed to vote, but had that Act not been passed, a large percentage of us men, discussing this issue right now, would not be able to vote. What was the point of that struggle if people say, "Nah, can't be arsed."?
Lost in Transportation wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Just seen that Labour are going to speed up local devolution, with fiscal powers thrown in, plus they are going to regulate everywhere's buses London-style.

Okay, so I *was* leaning towards blue...
Brilliant. Just what we need - another layer of bureaucracy and opportunities for even more bureaucrats to stick their noses in the trough. We already have local devolution - they're called County/Unitary/Town/Parish councils.
They're not adding another layer but evolving and empowering current authorities. The one-size-fits-all approach in England HAS to change, especially with the other nations being given greater autonomy.

It just makes zero sense for countries of 1m-5m receiving greater powers while the one of 55m is still run from the centre.
I agree with HH...
Jeezuz, whatever next? :shock:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

CoshamScouse wrote:Always vote.

Always vote the same way.

Guess...
Would that be The Science Party by any chance?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

the_lock_man wrote:Jeezuz, whatever next? :shock:
[youtube][/youtube]
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I wonder how much Cameron regrets going against an Alternative Vote system in that referendum we had?

Those UKIP second choice votes would be really handy for him right now.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:I wonder how much Cameron regrets going against an Alternative Vote system in that referendum we had?

Those UKIP second choice votes would be really handy for him right now.
Well after calling UKIPers loonies and fruitcakes, he is now saying to them come home to the Tories (the real home of loonies and fruitcakes)...

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Once upon a time, there was a long term economic plan...

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Once upon a time, there was a long term economic plan...

See George. See George cut. Cut, George, cut.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

the_lock_man wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Not interested in which party you'd vote for, but curious as to how many on here will use their vote, and how many will abstain?

I'll be casting mine :thumb
I shall be voting, without a doubt, and yes I do know for which party. I believe it's a duty to vote, and should be a legal obligation to do so, even if you vote "Abstain". As Jasper says, those who decline to use their right to vote have no real moral justification to criticise the government for any of their decisions. It is less than 100 years since The Fourth Reform Act was passed, prior to that only about 60% of men, and 0% of women had the right to vote. We all know about the huge struggle for women to be allowed to vote,

But it does allow women to stroke kittens and join the Womens Institute - voting is just something that confuses women. Don't they have enough work to do in the kitchen? On behalf of the Ghengis Khan Party, we don't need another layer of confusion and long words like 'justification to criticise' and 'legal obligation' - it just makes women cry and ruins the perfectly good Macaroni Cheese they've just prepared for our high tea......
bluemal
Robbie Pethick

Post by bluemal »

I will vote but it will have no effect as Chris Grayling has a majority of over 16,000
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by phat_chris »

As a rule I don't like to waste my time, hence I will not be voting. Give me a candidate worth voting for and I will change my mind, but I doubt I will see that in my lifetime...