Young Mr Wallace

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Young Mr Wallace

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Rumour I heard, kinda 2nd hand, last night.

Will almost certainly be leaving us at the end of the season, almost certainly to a Championship club with a large budget. Said club nearly signed him in January, offering him 10x his current wage, but Jed still thought it was reasonable to think that he would be promoted with Portsmouth this season, and decided to stay. The one glimmer of hope for keeping him is that he genuinely wants to do everything he can with Portsmouth.

In the next breath, it was mentioned that Brighton & Hove Albion are a Championship club with a large budget - read into that what you will. Worth remembering that Jed has links to that area, we signed him from Lewes, and subsequently loaned him to Whitehawk (which is Brighton's equivalent of Moneyfields). Obviously, all the rumours at the time were about Wolves, who also fit the bill as a Championship club with a large budget.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Young Mr Wallace

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Reading, Brighton - a few clubs have been mentioned. The kid has options and needs to progress his career sooner than later.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

As soon as it was clear we had no chance of promotion I resigned myself to the fact that we would lose our best player. I'm now at the stage where I actually (albeit reluctantly) want to see Jed move on for the sake of his own career. He is such a great guy who always has time to talk to my lads & have photos taken with him, a model role model for other footballers. More importantly, he is a cracking player who deserves to make the most of his relatively short career. Admirable though it may for him to show his loyalty to us, hanging around in our current set up would not be advice I'd be giving Jed right now.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

I have to be brutally honest here and say that this year was our best chance of getting out of Div 2. We have some sparkling players on paper, most of whom have not performed, with a great club atmosphere and home match attendence. I see the latter two diminishing over successive years.
Shame, as when in this situation our neighbours took players along with them as they shot from the depths back up to the Prem.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I am led to believe that there will be budget there, for the foreseeable future, to sign players of a calibre to be able to get us out of League 2.

What there isn't, any more, is the ability for the manager to just go "Oh, I want him" and lo and behold, that player arrives. There is now a group of club officials who need to agree on acquisitions before any approach is made.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

£500k few add ons.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:£500k few add ons.
I personally have no idea how much Jed is worth. Whatever he goes for, be it £500k, £1m or whatever, it is all about what we do with that money. Let's hope we don't do a Spurs!