Retained list

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Retained list

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Gary wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:You can't build a career on just a good left foot.
Ian Harte didnt do too badly.
Maybe but he's similar to Shorey with regards to a terrible lack of pace & if you have a quick right midfield player whose team are dominating midfield then he's toast. Its just far too easy to exploit such a lack of pace.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Pompey Gary wrote:
Indeed. Because Hart knew how to play as a full-back. Butler doesn't. And I'm sure Shorey, who seems a decent sort, has helped him as much as possible.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Wow. That was brutal. Recently we have had some off seasons of big squad changes, but these have largely been out of our control. As it was the manager's choice that most of these players left, it reminds me of 2002 when Redknapp had a massive change around; let's hope things turn out as well for Cook.

Added to that lot, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollands and Westcarr see the writing on the wall once players start to arrive, realise that they are not going to get much playing time and move on.

I have got to think that Cook has a pretty clear idea as to who he wants to get in, but at present our shopping list would seem to be pretty extensive even if no-one else goes.

First choice right back
First choice left back
Cover, or some sort of plan to cover, each of those positions. Probably someone who can cover both sides, or the side that is needed if one of the above can play both sides.
A midfielder to play alongside Dunne.
Two quality attacking midfielders/attackers including width.
A target man type striker.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
Indeed. Because Hart knew how to play as a full-back. Butler doesn't. And I'm sure Shorey, who seems a decent sort, has helped him as much as possible.
If Harte didn't have such a gift for striking a dead ball with his left peg I wonder if he'd have had much of a career as a professional footballer.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

All I hope for is a gifted midfield creator.....please.

Even Jed didn't create much - well, he did but for himself.....which is OK but we need someone to create for Tubbs etc. to feed off.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Earl Grey wrote:All I hope for is a gifted midfield creator.....please.

Even Jed didn't create much - well, he did but for himself.....which is OK but we need someone to create for Tubbs etc. to feed off.
:rofl Jed was easily our most creative player, remember Cambridge away?? IIRC one goal & 4 assists in just that one game. The problem was the rest of the dross around him, I swear in some games he thought I may as well try & do it myself because this lot aren't up to it. He'd be right as well. I've seen others suggest he wasn't a team player-which is a load of boolix.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

Absolute Top Of the List - As we all seem to agree - A player who can see a pass before anyone else , can control the pace of a game and can take free-kicks without the ball going into the Milton arms Car Park

Has Mers still got his shin Pads ?
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

POLPERO99 wrote:Absolute Top Of the List - As we all seem to agree - A player who can see a pass before anyone else , can control the pace of a game and can take free-kicks without the ball going into the Milton arms Car Park

Has Mers still got his shin Pads ?
I reckon 40 JPS a week and we could get Prosinecki back :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:

:rofl Jed was easily our most creative player, remember Cambridge away?? IIRC one goal & 4 assists in just that one game. The problem was the rest of the dross around him, I swear in some games he thought I may as well try & do it myself because this lot aren't up to it. He'd be right as well. I've seen others suggest he wasn't a team player-which is a load of boolix.
I understand what you're saying and absolutely no disrespect to Jed was intended but he isn't a midfield maestro type of passer like a Hoddle or a Merson.

Yes, I agreed that Jed makes chances but he does it by terrorising the opposition with his directness, control and pace. He's not the sort to receive the ball deep, swivel and hit a 40 yard pass straight into the path of Tubbs - he'd rather pick the ball up, drive past challenges and either shoot for himself or hit a low hard cross in for others. Yes, it's creating chances but the sort of player I meant was more of a midfield general. So I hope that makes it clear. I certainly am not one of those who thinks he's not a team player - he's a player of a certain type that is great to have but we need a controller, a puppet-master in the side too.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Someone who plays with their head up and a lot of short passes would be a start
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Earl Grey wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:

I understand what you're saying and absolutely no disrespect to Jed was intended but he isn't a midfield maestro type of passer like a Hoddle or a Merson.

Yes, I agreed that Jed makes chances but he does it by terrorising the opposition with his directness, control and pace. He's not the sort to receive the ball deep, swivel and hit a 40 yard pass straight into the path of Tubbs - he'd rather pick the ball up, drive past challenges and either shoot for himself or hit a low hard cross in for others. Yes, it's creating chances but the sort of player I meant was more of a midfield general. So I hope that makes it clear. I certainly am not one of those who thinks he's not a team player - he's a player of a certain type that is great to have but we need a controller, a puppet-master in the side too.
Looks like Jed's off to Wolves....

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/ ... o-wallace/
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much