Retained list

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Retained list

Post by Hermann »

(No, sorry - *non-official*) but how I think it'll go:

Contracts offered to: Andy Webster, Dan Butler.

Knife edge (too close to call): Ben Close, Joe Devera.

Let go: Tom Craddock, Danny East, Ben Chorley, Nicky Shorey, Bradley Tarbuck*, Jack Maloney.

Shock release: Wes Fogden.

Negotiation: Ryan Taylor - with him likeliest signing for Oxford.

(*confirmed already). I like East, but along with the 'surprise' no contract to Fogden, he'll be let go along with Craddock for spending too much time on the treatment table. Real shame with Fogden (but why weren't him & East used at the end of the season, by Waddock?)

Taylor isn't really Cook's type of player. Taylor will no doubt seek some assurances if he's to turn down Oxford, I can't see him getting them from PC. Shame Bradley was let go (bad timing with injuries), and young Maloney could count himself unlucky too. I think Ben Close is worth a year, but reckon he won't get it. Shorey is too old. Chorley isn't good enough. Devera = could be retained dependent on how 'recruitment' of other options goes. For me, his consistency has improved, and last season was his best, a bit of a confidence player.

Should find out a bit more in next day or two.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Andy Barcham listed, along with Atangana (I'd rather keep both). Wallace to be gone (and sounds like the 275k clause is true, regrettably).

Leaves: GK: Jones, Poke (Jones needs someone *else* to push him). DEF: Robinson, Whatmough, Butler, Webster. MID: Ertl, Hollands, Dunne, Barcham, Atangana. ATT: Westcarr, Chaplin, Tubbs.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Retained list

Post by Pompey1985 »

I don't really get the fogden love affair he works hard and runs around a lot but I don't actually know what he brings to the side I don't really know his best position. Either.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey1985 wrote:I don't really get the fogden love affair he works hard and runs around a lot but I don't actually know what he brings to the side I don't really know his best position. Either.
His best position seems to be Left Out....

Joking apart he seems to have lost something since injury. We were all so keen to see him come back and when he did he was only half the player. Let's hope it's because he's still feeling his way back to match fitness.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I don't really get the fogden love affair he works hard and runs around a lot but I don't actually know what he brings to the side I don't really know his best position. Either.
When fit and on his game he's the kind of player you wouldn't want to play up against.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Assuming that Cook will go with his usual 4-2-3-1 formation.

I think you mean Adam Webster.

Why wouldn't you offer a contract to Ben Close? He came into the team at the end of the season and didn't look out of place. As a young player he will only get better. You need these young players coming up from the academy to make up the squad and not complain about not being regular starters, but who can fit in for a few games if necessary. He certainly looked better than Hollands.

I would happily go with Robinson, Webster, Whatmough and Ertl as CBs. No need to make the squad larger. However, given Whatmough's absence at the start of the season there could be an argument for Devera who could also provide some fullback cover in an emergency. Personally, given the ease of the loan system, I would risk just going with the first four and let Devera go.

I too like Danny East and would offer him a one year contract as a utility player. He is still young and could have a career. However, I think Pompey will let him go.

Not sure on Taylor. We will need someone to play the lone CF in that formation who can battle and hold the ball and bring other people into play. None of Chaplin, Tubbs or Westcarr can do this. I am not aware of better alternatives, but Cook will know more about other team's players and exactly what he wants. I suspect Taylor will move on, but I would keep him.

I don't think Fogden is out of contract, so unless you let him go on a free transfer (or very small fee) he will be here. I agree that he does not have an obvious position, but he can cover a few, which is important if the squad is not to get too big again. He is also a useful sub as sometimes lots of running around is what is required to energise a team if they are having a flat day.

What we need. Full backs (see last summer!): a proper RB, either a new LB or cover for both RB and LB if Butler is first choice LB. (BTW. I would seriously consider Barcham as a candidate for back-up FB; he can play both sides and would add to the attack, and I don't think he offers enough for one of the wide attacking roles; time to redefine his career). Somebody to play alongside Dunne so that he is not finished by the new year. Width, in addition to Barcham. Creativity to replace Wallace, although not necessarily like-for-like; if Tubbs is to play in the centre of the "3" behind a Taylor-like CF, then there is a lot of emphasis on the wide players in the "3" creating chances.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Rumours:

A couple of weeks ago I was told that Danny East had already decamped back to Yorkshire. Everyone feels sorry for him as he is a decent player but his body lets him down.

Him, Craddock, Shorey and Chorley are gone and this has been flagged up in the Snooze.

Other MBs - Ben Close the club are keen on keeping. Wes Fogden is out of contract but the club has an option to extend for a year but are offering a pay as you play deal.

Hints in the Snooze suggests that Cook wants Taylor to stay but isn't prepared to match offers from elsewhere (hints on injuries in article). I expect him to go join Oxford.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Lost in Transportation wrote: Wes Fogden is out of contract but the club has an option to extend for a year but are offering a pay as you play deal.
Thanks for the clarification on the Fogden contract. In that case, I would not be surprised to see him go, and I can't see him taking a pay for play contract (which is different from pay for fit and available to play).

But who knows? This is professional football, little makes sense!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote:But who knows? This is professional football, little makes sense!
That be true.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

So how many does that leave on the books? Does the new man have to build almost a complete new squad by the start of next season? If so, we've been there before and unless he manages to head hunt the whole of his last squad, then we'll be in the familiar position of no one really knowing the other players well. So unless they gel immediately, the promotion thing could be quite difficult. I know friendlies help, but never the same as a real match.

Let's hope he can mastermind something a bit special.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

RubiconCSL wrote:So how many does that leave on the books? Does the new man have to build almost a complete new squad by the start of next season? If so, we've been there before and unless he manages to head hunt the whole of his last squad, then we'll be in the familiar position of no one really knowing the other players well. So unless they gel immediately, the promotion thing could be quite difficult. I know friendlies help, but never the same as a real match.

Assuming Jed leaves (most likely) then there are currently 12 contracted professionals for the 2015/16 at Pompey

GK: Jones, Poke
Def: Robinson, Whatmough, Ertl
Mid: Dunne, Hollands, Atangana, Barcham
St: Tubbs, Westcarr, Chaplin
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

So assuming he does what all managers do and poach a couple of players from his previous club, then we'll have a core that he can build on without too much trouble. Not too bad then - that is, as long as he makes a few good signings and, of course, the club are able to finance them.
Lost in Transportation wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:So how many does that leave on the books? Does the new man have to build almost a complete new squad by the start of next season? If so, we've been there before and unless he manages to head hunt the whole of his last squad, then we'll be in the familiar position of no one really knowing the other players well. So unless they gel immediately, the promotion thing could be quite difficult. I know friendlies help, but never the same as a real match.

Assuming Jed leaves (most likely) then there are currently 12 contracted professionals for the 2015/16 at Pompey

Def: Robinson, Whatmough, Ertl
Mid: Dunne, Hollands, Atangana, Barcham
St: Tubbs, Westcarr, Chaplin
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/arti ... 61279.aspx
Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that the following players have been released after the expiration of their contracts.

Dan Butler, Ben Chorley, Tom Craddock, Joe Devera, Danny East, Wes Fogden, Nicky Shorey and Bradley Tarbuck.

The club would like to thank all of them for their contribution to Pompey and wish them well for the future.

Portsmouth Football Club have taken up the option of extending Ben Close’s contract for another year, while Adam Webster has been offered a new deal.

Further talks are planned with Ryan Taylor.
Surprised about Butler as I thought they were talking to him as well as Webster. Was he asking for too much money or "guaranteed" playing time? We now have NO fullbacks!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote:Surprised about Butler as I thought they were talking to him as well as Webster. Was he asking for too much money or "guaranteed" playing time? We now have NO fullbacks!
They were with Awford in charge.

At first glance I thought wow but then I'm struggling to see any of the eight make a genuine case to stay. Busy, busy summer.

BTW, we have a couple of potential fullbacks coming through in Davies (RB) and Haunstrup (LB).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Very surprised about Butler.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

A brutal cull of both players and coaches. The only retained staff are Harris running the academy and Dorris the tea lady! In terms of senior players left...

Def: Robinson, Whatmough, Ertl, Webster
Mid: Dunne, Hollands, Atangana, Barcham, Poke
St: Tubbs, Westcarr, Chaplin, Taylor (tbc)

I would assume we need at least 3 defenders if not 4. The same in midfield too, plus another striker or two if Taylor departs.