Hardyman & Waddock

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Hardyman & Waddock

Post by Pompey1985 »

Gone.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Hardyman & Waddock

Post by Lost in Transportation »

And Melville.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I am liking PC more as the short period of time he has been here goes on, moving very quickly to set up what he thinks is best for us, hopefully this is being done with the full backing/support of the board. He appears to have a clear vision of what he wants and what he thinks he needs to meet his rather ambitious claims of promotion next year.

I have a sneaky suspicion he will also convince JW to stay as well.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Remember the name Gary Waddock. He will be the answer to a Pompey-themed quiz question in 7 or 8 years' time.

Catlin was quoted a few weeks back saying that any new manager would have to be able to work with the existing backroom staff. I'm loving how long that edict lasted, as soon as one bloke stands up to them and says, "No, it's my crew or I'm not coming", they capitulate. Now, this may not necessarily be a bad thing, as such, but it does show a rather weak hand by the board.

And when Cook leaves, which is inevitable, sooner or later, then again, all the backroom staff will go as well.

Not really happy about that, at present, but I hope it will prove to be a positive.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Portchester PFC wrote:I have a sneaky suspicion he will also convince JW to stay as well.
I don't.

Jed was a whisker away from going in January, but genuinely thought he had a chance at promotion with Pompey. Whilst he has developed a huge affection for the club, it's a lot less familiar to him now that Awfs, Macca and Hardyman have all gone. If anything, I reckon this will have made his mind up for him.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

the_lock_man wrote:Remember the name Gary Waddock. He will be the answer to a Pompey-themed quiz question in 7 or 8 years' time.

Catlin was quoted a few weeks back saying that any new manager would have to be able to work with the existing backroom staff. I'm loving how long that edict lasted, as soon as one bloke stands up to them and says, "No, it's my crew or I'm not coming", they capitulate. Now, this may not necessarily be a bad thing, as such, but it does show a rather weak hand by the board.

And when Cook leaves, which is inevitable, sooner or later, then again, all the backroom staff will go as well.

Not really happy about that, at present, but I hope it will prove to be a positive.
I dont really have an issue with it Locky, if the board have finally recognised that the way they have been conducting things recently have not worked then fine, PC comes in tells them what he wants and has made some very bold promises for the forthcoming season. To be honest this can work in the boards favour, if those promises are not realised this year then PC really has no other option than to face the fact that he failed, if he is given the scope and support from the board to bring in his own structure and players then there is only one place the buck will stop, and that is with him. Should make the boards job of sacking him next May quite simple really :D
Last edited by Portchester PFC on Mon May 18, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

the_lock_man wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:I have a sneaky suspicion he will also convince JW to stay as well.
I don't.

Jed was a whisker away from going in January, but genuinely thought he had a chance at promotion with Pompey. Whilst he has developed a huge affection for the club, it's a lot less familiar to him now that Awfs, Macca and Hardyman have all gone. If anything, I reckon this will have made his mind up for him.
Fair enough, but, he may have been that close to leaving because he could see that what he was involved in was a complete basket case, which it was, if he thought they had a chance of promotion still in January then either AA talks a bl**dy good game or JW was completely dillusional himself, as there were 15,000 odd people in January that could tell you categorically that Pompey were not going to be promoted this year.

I believe and hope that he will stay.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

the_lock_man wrote:Remember the name Gary Waddock. He will be the answer to a Pompey-themed quiz question in 7 or 8 years' time.

I'd say PC has more experience and know-how than the members of the board. Besides, I thought it was pretty normal for footie managers to bring their own trusted underlings in with them.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Portchester PFC wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
I don't.

Fair enough, but, he may have been that close to leaving because he could see that what he was involved in was a complete basket case, which it was, if he thought they had a chance of promotion still in January then either AA talks a bl**dy good game or JW was completely dillusional himself, as there were 15,000 odd people in January that could tell you categorically that Pompey were not going to be promoted this year.

If he could see it was a basket case, which I agree it was, then he would have gone. I think it was more a case of loyalty to Awford - was it not Awford who coached him in the youth/reserves/development squad, when we first bought him from Lewes? That's my take on it.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

The Strength and Conditioning Coach has also gone.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Gary wrote:

I'd say PC has more experience and know-how than the members of the board. Besides, I thought it was pretty normal for footie managers to bring their own trusted underlings in with them.
It is very often the case, yes, my point was that the board and Catlin were adamant that existing staff would not be turfed out by an incoming manager.

The fact that they have U-turned faster than a taxi driver with no satnav has sent a signal of weakness to everyone, agents, press, and especially Paul Cook.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

the_lock_man wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:

It is very often the case, yes, my point was that the board and Catlin were adamant that existing staff would not be turfed out by an incoming manager.

The fact that they have U-turned faster than a taxi driver with no satnav has sent a signal of weakness to everyone, agents, press, and especially Paul Cook.
Or it could be that they have recognised their own failings and flawed approaches and PC who seems pretty outspoken and highlighted them for them !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

the_lock_man wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:

Ha-ha, yes I did understand your point, Lockman. But I'd prefer to think that the board have had a rethink, taken a more flexible approach and deferred to a man with a lot more experience of what the job entails. :thumb

Imo Pompey should give Cook a good bit of time to succeed because I think he's probably enough of a proven track record to be given the benefit of the doubt that he know's what he's doing. It's more than could be said for the last few managers Pompey have had.
Last edited by Pompey Gary on Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

the_lock_man wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
I don't.

If he could see it was a basket case, which I agree it was, then he would have gone. I think it was more a case of loyalty to Awford - was it not Awford who coached him in the youth/reserves/development squad, when we first bought him from Lewes? That's my take on it.
Fair doo's if that is the case, guess we will find out soon enough as there seem to be a steady stream of back room staff going today so it appears that PC is in a hurry to get things in his form of order, i suspect that will be players as well as he is going to want to give himself as much time as possible. I can imagine the conversation will be quite quick, "you either want to stay at Pompey and fight or you don't, please let me know as soon as possible" :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Let's face it, none of the old coaching regime has covered themselves with glory this season, and if PC brings in his own team he'll have no excuse if they jointly fail to improve things next season.