Paul Cook hasn't finished yet

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Paul Cook hasn't finished yet

Post by Selsey Bill »

Any guesses at who from the remaining 14 players will be out the back door?

Bags I go first:

Gone by the weekend - Craig Westcarr 8)
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Paul Cook hasn't finished yet

Post by Pompey1985 »

Atangana. Not sure what he brings and more importantly Cook likes a side that can play 95 minutes.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

In an earlier thread I suggested that Westcarr and Hollands would soon see that they are likely to be on limited paying time and look to move on.

Then there was this in The News, of which I wasn't previously aware.
Firstly there is Craig Westcarr, who has had previous with Cook at Chesterfield. Within two weeks of arriving as Spireites’ boss in October 2012, Cook transfer listed the striker before shipping him out on loan to Walsall. By January 2013, it was mutually agreed to cancel Westcarr’s contract, allowing him to move to the Saddlers on a permanent basis.
So it certainly doesn't look good for Westcarr.

Atangana is a fringe candidate. However, last year was his first in league football, it was a big jump in class and he has room to improve. A team needs players that are willing to be subs/squad players, especially if they can cover a couple of positions (in Atangana's case, anywhere across the midfield). Also in his favour, Atangana looked OK coming off the bench last season, adding some energy and ideas, which is not something every player can do. I assume that he isn't on massive wages, and would probably get enough playing time to be worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised to see him either stay or go.

If you want a surprise candidate, how about Paul Jones? He looked good at the start of last season, but increasingly became rooted to his line as the season progressed. Was solid, but never really great. I wouldn't have a problem with him staying, but managers often have very personal preferences for goalkeepers and their playing style, and I would not be shocked if Cook had someone else in mind as No1.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:Bags I go first:
:lol: :thumb Heard something have we...

Been thinking that Craig could be a makeweight in a deal.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Bags I go first:
:lol: :thumb Heard something have we...

Been thinking that Craig could be a makeweight in a deal.
Yep ;-)
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote: If you want a surprise candidate, how about Paul Jones? He looked good at the start of last season, but increasingly became rooted to his line as the season progressed.
He certainly cost us points later in the season.

You could be right, PP
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: If you want a surprise candidate, how about Paul Jones? He looked good at the start of last season, but increasingly became rooted to his line as the season progressed. Was solid, but never really great. I wouldn't have a problem with him staying, but managers often have very personal preferences for goalkeepers and their playing style, and I would not be shocked if Cook had someone else in mind as No1.
I agree with what you have said, but I'm not convinced by that GK coach we have from H & W. I think Jones needs help and could be much better. I'll tell you who looked very good though, that lad we had on loan from Swansea - David Cornell. Admittedly only saw him shot stopping when warming up, but he was quality...
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I don't feel Jones made many individual errors last season. The fact that we could never win a second ball when it came out of our own box or be bothered to close a winger / midfielder shaping for a cross / shot can't have helped.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I don't feel Jones made many individual errors last season. The fact that we could never win a second ball when it came out of our own box or be bothered to close a winger / midfielder shaping for a cross / shot can't have helped.
Good point 85. Does anyone have the stats on how many long range goals were scored against us last season? It must be double figures?
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I don't feel Jones made many individual errors last season. The fact that we could never win a second ball when it came out of our own box or be bothered to close a winger / midfielder shaping for a cross / shot can't have helped.
Good point 85. Does anyone have the stats on how many long range goals were scored against us last season? It must be double figures?
Played like a keeper with no faith in the defence in front of him and with good reason.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey1985 wrote:I don't feel Jones made many individual errors last season.
And therein lies the "problem" with Jones. I don't think he made many real errors, and overall he was solid. On each individual long-range or across him into the far corner goal, you would blame the defence, not the goalkeeper, but taken over the season (my guess probably about 20 goals of those types) then you would expect Jones to have bailed his defence out more often then he did. As I said, it all depends on how Cook sees things and what he wants from a goalkeeper.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I don't feel Jones made many individual errors last season.
And therein lies the "problem" with Jones. I don't think he made many real errors, and overall he was solid. On each individual long-range or across him into the far corner goal, you would blame the defence, not the goalkeeper, but taken over the season (my guess probably about 20 goals of those types) then you would expect Jones to have bailed his defence out more often then he did. As I said, it all depends on how Cook sees things and what he wants from a goalkeeper.
I think Jones was another victim of poor coaching - when he first played for us, he controlled anywhere within about fifteen yards of the centre of the goal; by the end of the season, he barely controlled a yard from the centre of the goal. If a dimwit like me can notice this sort of thing, just what was the goalkeeping coach doing? The same logic applies to our erstwhile fitness coach - did he just not notice that most other teams were fitter than Pompey? Cook can make a start on improving things by addressing simple issues like this, and it certainly seems that this is exactly what he is doing. It's all very promising, but a bit sad at the same time too.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Yep - the end of the big, happy, cosy family approach, where everything atrophies, is over.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."