England v New Zealand - Lords

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: England v New Zealand - Lords

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

148-1 Latham out .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

148-2 Guptil out .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

NZ 245-2. Our attack atm looking pretty insipid, distinct lack of cutting edge.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

303-2 @ close of play. Sadly our bowling lets us down today, not enough balls on the stumps leading to the an easy ish ride for the NZ batsmen.
I hope we have some other up n coming bowlers lined up within the next 18mths because Jimmy is past his best IMO & Broad for me is either struggling after yet another injury or is similar to Jimmy in that his time in the sun is coming to an end.
All that said this is a fine NZ team just lacking a top quality spinner.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

pompeygunner wrote:303-2 @ close of play. Sadly our bowling lets us down today, not enough balls on the stumps leading to the an easy ish ride for the NZ batsmen.
I hope we have some other up n coming bowlers lined up within the next 18mths because Jimmy is past his best IMO & Broad for me is either struggling after yet another injury or is similar to Jimmy in that his time in the sun is coming to an end.
A little bit harsh I think. Both Anderson and Broad went for less than 3 an over, whereas Stokes and Wood were closer to 5.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Although I only watch Ch5 highlights I think the pitch was just not going to help.

The only possibility is the ball may move in the air this morning but you can't see NZ losing 8 wickets for less than 120 which will give them a useful lead....and, of course, it may be a great deal more than that.

But the pitch may deteriorate and it may be difficult for the Kiwis on the last day.

Good Test match, this.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Weybridge wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:303-2 @ close of play. Sadly our bowling lets us down today, not enough balls on the stumps leading to the an easy ish ride for the NZ batsmen.
A little bit harsh I think. Both Anderson and Broad went for less than 3 an over, whereas Stokes and Wood were closer to 5.
Maybe but we didn't threaten the stumps enough for me, those figures you quote are a tad misleading. Jimmy & Broady rarely looked dangerous.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Its a flat pitch now. New Zealand need to bat all day and into tomorrow and put scoreboard pressure onto England.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Its a flat pitch now. New Zealand need to bat all day and into tomorrow and put scoreboard pressure onto England.
Yes...it's looking more and more as if the last team to bat on this strip will be England, not the Kiwis.

It'd take a Kevin Pietersen to change that.............. :wink:

Update: 507-8 and just the bunnies left to support Watling.

Now looking like a lead that's not enough to prevent the Kiwis from batting last.

Expect a short and cheerful heave-ho from NZ to give them a go at England towards the end of the final session.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

If the forecast is correct then the weather will come into play tomorrow. England have bowled far better today & Stokes has been so very unlucky. England could perhaps should have restricted NZ to a lead of maybe 60 if those catches of yesterday & today had stuck.
NZ have to be favs but if it rains persistently tomorrow I wouldn't bet against a draw.
As an aside & sadly Jimmy A has been a pale shadow, these are his sort of conditions but the old magic seems to have deserted him.
Edit to say NZ all out for 523, lead by 134. 67 extras in that innings though which is awful.
31 overs left today for England to try & lay down some sort of marker.
23-1, Lyth gone for 12.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Bell out 3rd ball today but Root and Cook have put on 50 runs Cook currently on 55 not out

131 for 3 3 runs behind
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Helluva days cricket. England after losing Bell 3rd ball of the day have moved on to 429-6. Cook is 153 n.o., Root made 84 & Stokes scored a blistering 101 including 3 sixes. Moeen is not out on 19 with Cook. England lead by 295.
All 3 results possible going into the final day. Great game. I wonder whether Cook will go for quick runs tomorrow maybe add 60/70 & then try & get them in before lunch.
Then its over to Jimmy & Broady to do the bizz.
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

pompeygunner wrote: Stokes scored a blistering 101 including 3 sixes.
Stokes's 85-ball ton was the fastest in a Test at Lord's and he completed the fastest Test hundred by an England batsman since Gilbert Jessop's 76-ball century in 1902.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32869388
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Genuinley thrilling test match. England won by 124 runs bowling NZ out for 220. Amazing stuff when you consider the 1st 2 days. Stokes reminded me of Flintoff. 193 runs in the match & those 3 crucial wickets including 2 in 2 balls the 2nd accounting for McCullum. Stokes MoM.
Brilliant stuff.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:Stokes MoM.
No arguments there!