The 2 things i love the most about Womens Football

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Re: The 2 things i love the most about Womens Football

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Poor woman. You could see the permanent psychological scar forming......anyways, come oooooon, Japan.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Earl Grey wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:If England reach the final, I could be tempted over the border. Plenty of seats now that the Colony is no longer involved.
It's written in the stars, USPF.

The final will be a repeat of that '66 game - except this time for the lionesses.....

ENGLAND V GERMANY
Well I was almost right...

...it WILL be ENGLAND V GERMANY...

...just not the Final.

Hard luck, girls. I think Mark Sampson made the wrong changes towards the end, especially taking Fara Williams off leaving no protection in front of the back four. He should've gone for Aluko instead of White earlier on, too.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinMontreal
Gary O'Neil

Post by BlueinMontreal »

I missed the game due to being on a flight from Canada to Dubai. Gutted that the ladies missed out in such a manner. Hopefully the women's game will continue to mature and maybe next time around.
Co-Author of "Montreal International Firework Competition"
Regular price $30.00 Now ON SALE $20.00
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Poor woman. You could see the permanent psychological scar forming......
I can see the Pizza Hut advert forming...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Poor woman. You could see the permanent psychological scar forming......
I can see the Pizza Hut advert forming...
:lol:

Instead of missed penalties it'll be spectacularly badly timed O.G.s
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Post by LiT other account »

Well done girls. Beating Germany for the 1st time in 21 attempts. Third place beyond expectations.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

LiT other account wrote:Well done girls. Beating Germany for the 1st time in 21 attempts. Third place beyond expectations.
Well done indeed. Gutsy performance after the disappointment against Japan. Ran their socks off and any victory over the Germans is a good victory.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Congratulations, Lionesses. Well deserved Bronze Medal.

Still don't always agree with what Sampson does but I guess you can't argue with third place in the W.C.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Brilliant result. Well done England Women. Plus, in a way, beating Germany on penalties (well, penalty anyway).

Now if only the men could emulate that sort of commitment.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote: Now if only the men could emulate that sort of commitment.
They never will, not with Woy in charge
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Selsey Bill wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote: Now if only the men could emulate that sort of commitment.
They never will, not with Woy in charge
Woy's not the problem. I think he had it spot on when he said recently that the players need to develop a thicker skin, and not listen to what the press say. It would also help if the press were a bit more supportive in the first place. Think back to when Glen Johnson played for us, as good an attacking RB as you'd want to see (just ask Boaz Myhill.....), and he used to be like that for England. Then think more recently, to the warm-up for the WC last year, where he played 4 balls forward in the entire game. He wasn't prepared to take the risk. Ashley Cole was exactly the same, he lost the desire to take the risk. Why is that? In my mind, it's because they didn't want to get roasted in the press.

It would also help if the players' egos weren't stroked so much by their agents, so that they think they're bigger and better than both club and country. There doesn't seem to be the pride in wearing your national shirt any more for the 50th, 75th, 100th time.

It would also help if Prem teams weren't so focussed on bringing in foreign talent, but would look to lower divisions for English talent. 30 years or so ago, we had the likes of Neil Webb, who worked their way up the ladder to the top level. These days, if you're English and aren't an academy product, you have to be promoted in to the Prem with your existing team, and hope you catch the eye in your one season before your team gets relegated (a la Danny Ings, Charlie Austin). We must be missing some serious talent because the focus is on who's the best foreigner we can bring in. Chelsea have Terry & Cahill. Man City only Joe Hart. Fine, Arsenal, Liverpool and ManU are somewhat better (8 english in their first team squads each) but Bayern, on the other hand, can field an entire team made up solely of Germans. If English players aren't playing at the highest club level (ie Champions League) how can they be expected to compete at the top level internationally?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

USA! USA!

OK...back to not caring....carry on.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:USA! USA!

Do you feel more American than British now, Our Kid? And while I'm asking questions, has your dad set off on his adventure yet?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:

Do you feel more American than British now, Our Kid? And while I'm asking questions, has your dad set off on his adventure yet?
about 50/50.....don't think there will be much swing from that in the future.
Yup...he set off a month ago and had a nasty slip/fall in week one.....busted ribs and a bit banged up. Limped into Gibraltar and recuperating with brother in Spain. Maybe it will persuade him to switch from Round the World to Round the Medd......but I doubt it.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:

In fact, let me expand on that Ziggy as its given me an interesting perspective on immigrants. So being a 1st generation immigrant my loyalties are split. England rules in most sports I care about but doesn't rule in sports I don't much follow. In politics The US rules. There is a slow creep of Americanization over 25 yrs that can easily be slowed by a quick visit home. 2nd generation...Sgt Kid, is of course 99% American. Now obviously, English culture and US culture is pretty much the same... so in my case, total integration is achieved with the 2nd generation (Sgt Kid). But I note when the immigrant is of a different culture....say for instance India....I think its the 3rd/4th generation that is totally integrated. I'm guessing you currently see this in the UK with Indian immgrants from the 1950/60s where as the Indian immigrant here are only just starting 2nd gen.
Anyway....point being...don't expect immigrants from a different culture to adapt overnight.....it takes a couple of rounds of kids before the benefits for all are realised.