Lest we forget......

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Lest we forget......

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

....today has been a Sportsfest to end all sportsfests! There was of course the Federer/ Murray contest at Wimbledon - the straight sets victory by Federer didn't tell the whole story, but what it did do was to draw attention to the two players involved - Federer was virtually unplayable today, but the two men served up a standard that I didn't believe was possible and a privilege to watch.

And let's also touch on the Tour de France. The Manx Missile has not won a race in the tour since 2013 - we all thought he was finished. 5 kilometres out, the sprinters took control and Cav was led out again by Mark Renshaw and the last 100 metres was blur of colour and impossible speeds until 50 metres from the line Mark Cavendish broke through to win by a length and claim his 26th victory on the most famous bike race in the world.

Vive Le Sport!
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Lest we forget......

Post by Mickemo »

Gutted to have missed the master Federer play Murray...I could only listen on the radio and it sounded like a great match where Federer was simply imperious....hope he wins the final and an 8th Wimbledon !
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

And the Ashes have started pretty well too.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Pomp....with your title I thought this might be a post about the 75th anniversary of the onset of The Battle of Britain.
Disappointed to see its about a 2nd rate Scotsman in a 4rd rate sport.

Actually..tennis is the only sport I prefer the ladies game.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Beach Volleyball? Mud Wrestling?
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Actually..tennis is the only sport I prefer the ladies game.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

RubiconCSL wrote:Beach Volleyball? Mud Wrestling?
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Actually..tennis is the only sport I prefer the ladies game.
Goes without saying I thought....
Div III. Call it what it is.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Well, I'm probably going to depress you all by banging on about the Tour de France today because you will know by now, that I am somewhat of an afficienado of the greatest cycle race in the world. The first week was really for the sprinters and a chance for the teams to stretch their legs and to see how the teams would perform - it still left the Sky team looking a magnificent team unit riding at the front of the Peleton, covering any break by their nearest perceived challengers and leaving their team leader Chris Froome in the yellow jersey on Sunday after a great team time trial. Then they left the flat lands of Holland, Belgium and Brittany and Normandy and headed for the Pyranees and the mountain finishes, where the favourites were the climbers - Chris Froome - Sky, Alberto Contador of Spain, Nibali the Italian winner of the Italian Classic and a Columbian Quintana, generally believed to be the best climber.

To say that Froome, leading the race by 12 seconds, was the winner does no justice to his team. The pelaton was strung out like a washing line leaving Contador and Nibali 3 minutes and 4minutes back respectively and Quintana who finished third and even beaten by Richie Porte, one of the Sky riders who looks after Froome. The next week is almost entirely in the mountains - it's too early to say that Sky will enter Paris in 2 weeks time with the Yellow Jersey safe in their hands - Les Rosbif are being very cruel to Les Froggies right now........
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Having followed the Tour De France for the last 3 weeks, the sight of Chris Froome rolling down the Champs Ellysee last night surrounded by the men in black (Team Sky) ranks as one of the greatest sporting events of the Summer. The last 4 Tours have been won by Team Sky on 3 occasions and these men have endured climbing in the Pyranees, but the last week in the Alps. The Columbian Quintana attacked almost non stop, but never quite reeled in the yellow jersey of Froome and the constant sniping of the French Press. Team Sky were an amazing force as they led out the peleton day after day in the mountainous terrain of the Alps - well done lads, you deserve it......