Back from the Coventry game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Coventry game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Excellent all round team performance from the lads tonight and a distinct improvement from the H & W game. We are definitely moving in the right direction, and that was the best I've seen us play for some time, especially in the first half.

Conor Chaplin scored early on in the 4th minute following some excellent early work from trialist Gareth Evans, who later scored himself bang on half time following a cracking move that involved passes from Atangana to Hollands to Chaplin who threaded a pearler through to Evans to finish well. Chaplin was superb tonight and is beginning to look something special. Atangana also had his best game for us for about 6 months. Added to that the team looked like a team. Robinson looked back to his best. Enda Stevens looks the real deal at left back, very solid, very accomplished. The trialist CB Matt Evans had a very good game, but was at fault for their goal which was an absolute pearler. From what I have seen of Evans I'd give him a contract - he was excellent tonight. The only problem is we already have others in his position. The RB was a Dutch trialist who also had a very solid game. I'd say it might be between him and Ben Davies as to who gets the gig.

I need to go to bed but before I do, quick mention for Kyle Bennett who only came on late but yet again really looks the deal. he has class, and seems to have all the time in the world. Also, was stood near our dugout tonight and the difference between Cook and Awford is about a million miles. Cook, ably assisted by Leam Richardson, did not stop shouting for 90 minutes. You can already see that the players really respect him where at times they used to quite simply ignore Awford.

I was feeling confident before tonight, but now feeling even more excited about the coming season. Cook's dilemma is going to be who his starting 11 are. On that subject bumped into Gary Roberts, Adam McGurk and Jack Whatmough all getting out of Robbo's lovely white AMG. He was driving so can't be that bad and Jack W told me he was still 2 - 3 months away from being back. Interesting to see who starts for us against Woking on Friday as I believe Cook is starting to finalise his thoughts on his best 11.
the-future-is-blue
Mickey Quinn

Re: Back from the Coventry game

Post by the-future-is-blue »

Great report as always SB, really pleased to hear that we're looking like a capable 'team' - bodes well with PC at the helm :thumb
Gaydamack's wonderful millions - well it did seem too good to be true !
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Oops! Meant to say Matt Clarke, not Matt Evans. All these trialists - very confusing. On that subject a few comedy moments late on in the 2nd half when we were bringing on double substitutions every few minutes. The players, 4th official, tannoy man, even Paul Cook at times didn't seem to know who was who :lol:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

My lad and his mates also went last night - since I am the only dad with a 7 seater, I was elected to give them a lift home.

Listening to them talk, they were waxing lyrical over Enda Stevens and Gareth Evans.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:Oops! Meant to say Matt Clarke, not Matt Evans. All these trialists - very confusing.
Too many Evans...

Don't think its a choice between Davies and a.n.other right back. Davies is a midfielder by trade who can play in multiple positions. One of those useful characters.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Cheers Mr SB. It's great to hope that the quality will be as high as ever.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:.......a cracking move that involved passes from Atangana........
I have a feeling Atangana is much more of a Cook type player than an Awford type player. Cook will play him correctly and get the best from him.

I was so disappointed that Atangana was so poor last season but I'm sure it was all down to Awford mis-directing his talents. I'm quite convinced he'll be much more effective under Cook - assuming he can get into the side in the first place, of course.

Great report, as always, SB.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Earl Grey wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:.......a cracking move that involved passes from Atangana........
I have a feeling Atangana is much more of a Cook type player than an Awford type player. Cook will play him correctly and get the best from him.

I was so disappointed that Atangana was so poor last season but I'm sure it was all down to Awford mis-directing his talents. I'm quite convinced he'll be much more effective under Cook - assuming he can get into the side in the first place, of course.

Great report, as always, SB.
I agree with you entirely EG. You can't go from being as good as Atangana was at the start of last season to as poor as he was at the end. Big Nige and I follow each other on Twitter so we message each other privately on occasions, and he is a much better place now that Cook is on the scene.
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

For those that believe in omens, history repeating itself and other such stuff:

When we got promoted out of div 4 at the end of the 1979/80 season,

1. We sold our best player during the pre-season to finance rebuilding of the team (Foster then, Wallace now)

2. The last game of the season was against Northampton

3. We beat Coventry in a pre-season friendly
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Guernsey Blue wrote:For those that believe in omens, history repeating itself and other such stuff:

When we got promoted out of div 4 at the end of the 1979/80 season,

1. We sold our best player during the pre-season to finance rebuilding of the team (Foster then, Wallace now)

2. The last game of the season was against Northampton

3. We beat Coventry in a pre-season friendly
I wasn't going to mention any of that for fear of jinxing our chances :roll: