Ben Ainslie sings Portsmouth praises

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Ben Ainslie sings Portsmouth praises

Post by Weybridge »

"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ben Ainslie sings Portsmouth praises

Post by Chopper Dave »

I was there Saturday and we (both Portsmouth and the UK) did ourselves proud. Tremendous atmosphere with a nice patriotic buzz. And it was genuinely exciting to watch.

They're back again next July. Go see.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Chopper Dave wrote:I was there Saturday and we (both Portsmouth and the UK) did ourselves proud. Tremendous atmosphere with a nice patriotic buzz. And it was genuinely exciting to watch.

They're back again next July. Go see.
I was also there on Saturday - great day out.

Importantly, it was very well organised - traffic marshals, car parking, free bus transfer from/to train station, on-field activities, television screens, the volunteer marshals, etc.

I suspect that there will be some significant changes for next year - the commentary on the race, the evening concert, wet weather provision, the security checks.

But we all learn from undertaking these tasks. And it isn't easy when you are working with 75,000 people.

Well done Portsmouth and Land Rover BAR!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

This cynical old head agrees completely. I was there on Saturday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great atmosphere! Felt sorry for the people who went on Sunday though!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Milton End wrote:....it isn't easy when you are working with 75,000 people.

Well done Portsmouth and Land Rover BAR!
Yes....well done, Pompey!

Just seen it on the box and Portsmouth looks such an impressively spectacular setting for this event.

We have a city to be proud of. :thumb
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

Watched BBC South(ampton) Today at lunch time,true to form the headline was the Americas Cup taking place on the Hampshire Coastline and then proceeded to search out the obligatory disgruntled spectator.
Typical British weather we had what seemed to be a years rain on Friday followed by a perfect racing Saturday which was all eclipsed by a stormy Sunday. Watched it on BT Sport Saturday and it was a good advertisement for Pompey.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I went on Friday (in the Fanzone area) and got completely drenched. The Park & Ride on the M275 was excellent, and the marshals all very helpful. I also really enjoyed the racing. My only gripe, and it is quite a big on, is that there was absolutely nowhere to shelter from the rain, not even a beer tent!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Selsey Bill wrote:I went on Friday (in the Fanzone area) and got completely drenched. The Park & Ride on the M275 was excellent, and the marshals all very helpful. I also really enjoyed the racing. My only gripe, and it is quite a big on, is that there was absolutely nowhere to shelter from the rain, not even a beer tent!
My missus went on the Thursday, and they tried to stop her getting in with a picnic, citing "security reasons" and then they relented when she pointed out our 7yo son.

Were they more stringent on later days about food and drink?

I recall the same thing being the case at the Olympics, although there they had free water fountains to refill your empty water bottles. Did they have free water in the Fanzone?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

the_lock_man wrote:
Did they have free water in the Fanzone?
They did on Friday and Sunday.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

[quote="Selsey Bill"]I went on Friday (in the Fanzone area) and got completely drenched. The Park & Ride on the M275 was excellent, and the marshals all very helpful. I also really enjoyed the racing. My only gripe, and it is quite a big on, is that there was absolutely nowhere to shelter from the rain, not even a beer tent![/quowewete]

I went over Friday as well. Its across the road and were letting anyone in who were prepared to face the weather .Couple of beer tents in the waterfront festival area ( poor persons section ) Though beer is not term many would use for Coors Lager / Carling Cider @ £5 a pint.

A lot of talk about not taking food / drink in. No different to any other major sporting / music event.

Saturday looked great. Typically I had a ticket for Sunday.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

I went all 4 days in Fan Zone, weather aside and that really only killed Sunday properly I had a fantastic time. Most of the red jacketed "Wave Makers" were unpaid volunteers from the area and were all very friendly and helpful.

Personally I think they should have allowed peopled to take in food but not alcohol but can see their angle as people paid £6,000 for a pitch.

Thursday was very good and we got to see the skippers interviewed on stage just a few feet in front of us.

The racing on Saturday was quite fantastic and showed how a one-design approach and competitive skippers can make for a real open and changeable competition. We sat in the grandstand and the whole race area was lines with a flotilla of spectator boats, made it look like an arena and was quite a spectacle. It's a shame we lost Sunday as for double points you can bet it would have been intense competition.

Remembering this is where the cup history started, it was totally apt and brilliant to have this event here.

I loved every minute of it and cannot wait to do so again next year.
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"