Back from the game - Crawley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Back from the game - Crawley

Post by RubiconCSL »

I reckon we could easily have sold more. My friend suggested that they should have put the home crowd in the away end and could have probably filled the rest of the ground with Pompey fans.

It was interesting to sit with the other team's fans. Moaning about the ref all night, thinking he was a Pompey fan (to be fair, there were some aweful decisions on both sides all night and you only ever see the bad ones against your own team). They thought we were a dirty team too.

But they all did think (as has been said) that we had been down in L2 for a couple of seasons, but now was our time. Biggest squad, biggest budget etc. etc.

They did give Tubbs a generous applause when he went off too. Unlike our Bradley serenade of something like: we've seen you before and you were ****.
Earl Grey wrote:Listen to Yates, Crawley's manager, waxing lyrical about Pompey on the little audio clip on this page....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33857870 (on the left just above the team listings...it takes a second or two to appear if you have a **y** laptop like mine).

Apparently he claims we have the best manager, best squad, best support, Champions in waiting etc. etc.

Did we really have 2,000 there last night?

If so, that's half the total attendance, ffs!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote: It was interesting to sit with the other team's fans. Moaning about the ref all night, thinking he was a Pompey fan (to be fair, there were some aweful decisions on both sides all night and you only ever see the bad ones against your own team). They thought we were a dirty team too.
For them to accuse us of being dirty is laughable!! We had so much possession it started to frustrate the tits out of them, so much so that they had to resort to fouling us. We weren't dirty, but we did press them constantly, often with two on one. Their worst fouler was the Saints reject Lee Barnard, who on several occasions left his calling card (aka elbow) on Burgess's face. That said, the officials were shocking last night, and it was by no means Pompey who benefited! In fact the first foul given to them in the first half was greeted with a ironic cheer when Atangana brought down one of their players. He actually got the ball cleanly though :roll:
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

RubiconCSL wrote: It was interesting to sit with the other team's fans. .....They thought we were a dirty team
Selsey Bill wrote:For them to accuse us of being dirty is laughable!!
The BBC stats show the ref punished them with a free kick TWICE as often as he punished us.....

....12 fouls by Crawley and only 6 by us!

Let's study the stats on other matches....

FOULS:
Portsmouth 3 - 6 Dagenham & Redbridge
Portsmouth 7 - 6 Derby County
Portsmouth 8 - 18 Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth 6 - 12 Crawley Town

TOTAL FOULS:
Portsmouth 24 - 42 Opposition

So we foul the opposition only roughly half as much on average as they foul us....and that's over four matches and four different teams of officials.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I didn't say I agreed at all with them - just what they were saying, while sitting in the lion's den. I think they were far more physical than us - but again, they were a very weak team and I guess that's what a weak team have to resort to. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it this season!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

RubiconCSL wrote:I didn't say I agreed at all with them - just what they were saying, while sitting in the lion's den. I think they were far more physical than us - but again, they were a very weak team and I guess that's what a weak team have to resort to. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it this season!
I wasn't disagreeing with you in any way shape or form, Rubi.

Quite the reverse. I was just re-affirming what you were saying and supporting your standpoint with some facts wot I dug out the Beeb.

I totally agree with you that it's a bit of a cheek them saying WE are dirty when the officials clearly gave more free kicks to us than the other way around.

I'm absolutely loving the stats we are getting, actually.

I've always been concerned that our possession stats are often so poor - even when we are winning.

Now our possession is so fantastic it has a knock on effect in that we commit less fouls, get more corners, more shots on-target and off-target etc. etc.

Things are just so rosy now and I'm loving it!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Earl Grey wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote: It was interesting to sit with the other team's fans. .....They thought we were a dirty team
Selsey Bill wrote:For them to accuse us of being dirty is laughable!!
The BBC stats show the ref punished them with a free kick TWICE as often as he punished us.....

....12 fouls by Crawley and only 6 by us!

Let's study the stats on other matches....

FOULS:
Portsmouth 3 - 6 Dagenham & Redbridge
Portsmouth 7 - 6 Derby County
Portsmouth 8 - 18 Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth 6 - 12 Crawley Town

TOTAL FOULS:
Portsmouth 24 - 42 Opposition

So we foul the opposition only roughly half as much on average as they foul us....and that's over four matches and four different teams of officials.
Good work EG :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Earl Grey wrote: I wasn't disagreeing with you in any way shape or form, Rubi.
Nor was I - I was disagreeing with the Crawley fans around you. I was fascinated to read your report, particularly because you were with the opposition's supporters and airing their views.