Back from the game - Crawley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Back from the game - Crawley

Post by RubiconCSL »

Well I sat in with the home fans, right next to the directors box (if you can call it that). Not a great deal to get excited about to be honest. We never looked in danger, which is something. The home fans around us cheered the 0-0 like they'd just won the league, which speaks volumes in itself.

Anyway, I will pick Burgess and Atangana out for special mention, as I thought they were both excellent. Burgess looks very calm at the back and commands the defence very well. Atangana was everywhere, held the ball up very well and his distribution (as was the teams in general) was extremely good for L2.

We never did look under pressure, but neither did we look anywhere near the finished article. The final ball is not quite there. We hold the ball well, spray it around well, we fight to get it back when we lose it. Our triangular play is slick (well, against a team that poor anyway). We really do look comfortable with the ball, which is great to see at this level. But, we are definitely work in progress.

Tubbs worked hard, but for Christ's sake, how can a professional striker be offside so often?! He had one great chance after about 10 mins, where the ball was passed through perfectly and he managed to stay onside. Sadly the shot was straight at the keeper from close range. That was our best effort.

Davies put in some great crosses from the right, but then seemed to be ignored for some reason.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed, but I'm writing it on the train on my phone, but hopefully you get the idea: very promising, but still some way to go.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
the-future-is-blue
Mickey Quinn

Re: Back from the game - Crawley

Post by the-future-is-blue »

A good effort Rubi, train or other wise . . seems Crawley just wanted a clean sheet, it'll happen - 4 away points from a possible 6 would've seemed like heaven last season !
Gaydamack's wonderful millions - well it did seem too good to be true !
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

Crawley the first team to 'park the bus'.

I get a little bit of impression that one or two were a little bit tired, although I suppose the same for most of the rest of the teams.

How did Cook accommodate McGurk? When he played vs Derby, he was on the left of the 3 behind the striker - when he brought him on for Davies, who went to RB Rubi?

Some teams will try & play this way (even Dagenham tried to have a go at us), but this will be good for the 'learning curve'.

I know what you mean about the mis-timed balls - offsides, final ball. Timing of runs & wrong direction etc. We were like in the first half against D&R. Then Evans lept salmon-like, and we were off & running. Derby we wore down through spirit and matching them (despite 7 changes), and we were better than Plymouth, a lot better.

But I think it's all good. If we win Saturday, 10 points from 12, which is incredible. People would deffo have took 7 from 9 at the start of the season too, I believe.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

P.S. Some stick flying around for Tubbs. But then there was some after Stockley impressed v Derby. In a very close vote, 51 v 49 went for the young blonde over our diminutive sharpshooter. I still think (& hear!) that Reid of Plymouth might be on the radar.

Cook refers to Tubbs as 'learning the role'. I think it 'helps' to have some 'presence' - and ideally sure, you'd be a mixture of both for the front man in a 4-2-3-1 - like Drogba! :D

But Tubbs is by far the most natural finisher we've got. Conor is great, and I think will be able to play there, but suits him better as one of the 3 behind the top man - especially if central (was great when he came on vs Derby - he practically fell over with his 1st touch, he sprinted so fast directly at their back 4!).

But some saying Tubbs looked disinterested? Got caught offside too many times, and was lazy?

Did it seem that way to you Rubi? Or just bad luck (I know he missed the early chance).

The stats bear out one-way traffic though really. Sorry (for you) you didn't see the goals and the free-flowing of the first 2 or 3 games. You'll have to come down the park! (I'll buy you a beer!) :D :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I note the stats (FACTS) show our dominance of possession again....that's over 60-40 in the league which is quite incredible. If you win the possession battle and get more shots on than the other guys....you win most games...FACT.
I wouldn't be too harsh on Tubbs....their goalie is an England International on loan from the prem. Anyhoo....there aren't any top class finishers in Div 4.....hit 25 in this league and your off to greener pastures!
Div III. Call it what it is.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

I like Tubbs, in fact it worries me he might get squeezed out, as more of a 4-4-2 player (working off a big man). But you can't ditch a goalscorer like he. He'll improve, he's fitter than last season I feel (looks like he's lost a bit of weight).

But wouldn't rule out Cook bringing in another striker (though Reid was blunt against us - but then again his supply line was choked).
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

It will be interesting to see how the pressing game works in dec jan especially if we have a cup run or 2 going.....please play the youff team in the paint pot cup! I've been a bit of a fan of US college basketball over the years....Interesting to note pressing teams tend to pull back the press as the season wears on and also an interesting FACT that when you get up there in quality amongst the top teams and even into the much high number of games NBA....30 games vs 80.....the press don't work there!
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think tubbs looked like a good player. He was constantly asking for the ball to be played through and trying to run off the defenders shoulder. But, either his timing, the timing of the players feeding him or maybe both weren't quite right and almost every time, the Crawley defence had him. It was very frustrating to watch, time and again. Something they really need to work on if they intend to keep trying it. Other teams will soon work him out if that is all he does and won't get the timing spot on more often - especially with the quality of officials in this league.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Also, a shout for PC. One of their players (Young I think) was definitely tripped on a dangerous looking run. He was right front of both the ref and linesman and neither spotted it;I can't see how. Their manager went mental, swearing at the officials. PC stepped in and pulled the Crawley manager and assistant back into the dugout, calmed it all down and probably stopped them being sent off. He also seemed to have a good rapport with players in both teams, which was nice to see.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Cheers Rubi. Fan reports rule!
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Morning all. Flew into GTW yesterday after 2 weeks away with famiy, dropped Mrs S off home and then straight back round M25 & down M23 with my 3 lads to Crawley for first relevant game of season following friendlies. Off to work now, but quick observations. I thought we looked very good last night, and if I was Sonny Bradley, their captain and our ex player, I know which team I'd rather be in. I don't think I've seen a more one sided game in a long time. We completely dominated all areas of the pitch, and my long time favourite, Nigel Atangana, was immense in midfield, completely bossing it. He looks a different player under Paul Cook and in this formation. Other players of note: Burgess & Clarke looked excellent at centre back, and Murphy is a better keeper than Jones, end of, even though he had little to do. Bennett and Roberts look too classy for this league. Doyle is very solid. In fact, they all look very comfortable on the ball, and their incessant pressing (for 90 minutes) was so refreshing to watch after last season. our weakest link, if you could call him that, was Evans who didn't look as sharp as he did pre-season. Hope this isn't because he has won his contract! With regards to Tubbs, I think you are being a little harsh Rubi. Their linesman was woeful last night, and his offside goal was NOT. We should have gone home with all three points. On that note, a point away from home, long with a clean sheet, is a good result. We are not going to win every game, even though some of our 'fans' seem to think we are. It was painful listening to a good proportion of our supporters last night moaning away because we weren't spanking them. In fairness to Crawley, boring as they were to watch, they did their job, and at the final whistle you would have thought they'd won the league. Says it all really. One negative note, I understand Davies may have a hamstring injury? we need another RB! Excited about Saturday now. PUP.
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by JenniTalia »

RubiconCSL wrote:Well I sat in with the home fans, right next to the directors box (if you can call it that). Not a great deal to get excited about to be honest. We never looked in danger, which is something. The home fans around us cheered the 0-0 like they'd just won the league, which speaks volumes in itself.

Anyway, I will pick Burgess and Atangana out for special mention, as I thought they were both excellent. Burgess looks very calm at the back and commands the defence very well. Atangana was everywhere, held the ball up very well and his distribution (as was the teams in general) was extremely good for L2.

We never did look under pressure, but neither did we look anywhere near the finished article. The final ball is not quite there. We hold the ball well, spray it around well, we fight to get it back when we lose it. Our triangular play is slick (well, against a team that poor anyway). We really do look comfortable with the ball, which is great to see at this level. But, we are definitely work in progress.

Tubbs worked hard, but for Christ's sake, how can a professional striker be offside so often?! He had one great chance after about 10 mins, where the ball was passed through perfectly and he managed to stay onside. Sadly the shot was straight at the keeper from close range. That was our best effort.

Davies put in some great crosses from the right, but then seemed to be ignored for some reason.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed, but I'm writing it on the train on my phone, but hopefully you get the idea: very promising, but still some way to go.
Sorry Rubi I am not having this. The thread is clearly titled "Back From The Game" yet you openly admit you wrote it on the train - yellow card for you my son so watch yourself any more cheating like this and you are off. Of course you have my sincere apologies if you do actually live on a train!!!
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks for the reports.

Amazing that a team should play for 0-0 in their second home game of the season! I don't think we will see many teams coming to FP to play an attacking game this year, and we are going to have to get used to it if we stay successful. Thankfully, the win at Plymouth meant that we could happily settle for a point at Crawley, and didn't have to do anything rash and end up losing.

And of course, Ben Davies was the one player we couldn't afford to lose to injury. A RB now critical, but doubt anyone will be here before Saturday, unless a deal was already lined up. I suppose it will be Webster against Morecambe, although that doesn't really seem fair on him after he has looked so good end of last season and against Derby at CB. I might be tempted to move Stevens to the right and play Haunstrup at LB as it is a home game. Anyone know how good Morecambe's wide players are?
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Fair enough SB on the offsides. I was behind the dugouts near the half way line, so couldn't see how bad the decisions were. The officials were all pretty dire all evening to be honest.

And what's wrong with me living on a train :)
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Listen to Yates, Crawley's manager, waxing lyrical about Pompey on the little audio clip on this page....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33857870 (on the left just above the team listings...it takes a second or two to appear if you have a **y** laptop like mine).

Apparently he claims we have the best manager, best squad, best support, Champions in waiting etc. etc.

Did we really have 2,000 there last night?

If so, that's half the total attendance, ffs!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.