Terrible Air Crash at Shoreham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Terrible Air Crash at Shoreham

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Absolutely horrendous. I don't know why it seems worse because it's just down the road but somehow it is. Guess because I know the area so well and travel that bit of road often. Just awful.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Terrible Air Crash at Shoreham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Absolutely horrendous. I don't know why it seems worse because it's just down the road but somehow it is. Guess because I know the area so well and travel that bit of road often. Just awful.

It's awful because it is just ****** luck . Driving down the road ................
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Post by LiT other account »

Shocking tragedy. Pictures are horrendous.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

OMG just utterly shocking video footage....my heart goes out to everyone affected by this terribly sad and tragic accident !
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I haven't a clue what sort of stringency is applied to vintage cold war jets. But the RAF retire airframes on hours done. Saw the footage & he/she was coming out of a loop but was very low. Pilot error or something failed. By the grace of god go I springs to mind, driven the A27 past there a fair few times. Absolute tragedy for all concerned.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Sadly we were there today and witnessed it, absolutely terrible incident and even more frightening that we were sat in the car at the junction 25 minutes before the crash waiting to get in as the traffic was horrendous getting there due to the weather being so good and the forecast being so bad tomorrow.

Completely lost for words but it appeared to us and a friend I was speaking to at the show who is an ex pilot that the pilot didn't give himself sufficient height to pull back up out of the loop. He was coming down and my friend was commenting that he was too flat coming out of the loop and then he disappeared behind the trees and then sadly crashed.

Absolutely saddening and my thoughts go out to all the people and their families affected by this today. :cry:
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Only just heard about this. So tragic for all involved.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Portchester PFC wrote:Sadly we were there today and witnessed it, absolutely terrible incident and even more frightening that we were sat in the car at the junction 25 minutes before the crash waiting to get in as the traffic was horrendous getting there due to the weather being so good and the forecast being so bad tomorrow.

Completely lost for words but it appeared to us and a friend I was speaking to at the show who is an ex pilot that the pilot didn't give himself sufficient height to pull back up out of the loop. He was coming down and my friend was commenting that he was too flat coming out of the loop and then he disappeared behind the trees and then sadly crashed.

Absolutely saddening and my thoughts go out to all the people and their families affected by this today. :cry:
It must be the most dreadful thing, being the only person who could avert a tragedy that will kill you and others, but being unable to do so. I bet the pilot did everything they could, yet died in despair.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

<dj.> wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:Sadly we were there today and witnessed it, absolutely terrible incident and even more frightening that we were sat in the car at the junction 25 minutes before the crash waiting to get in as the traffic was horrendous getting there due to the weather being so good and the forecast being so bad tomorrow.

It must be the most dreadful thing, being the only person who could avert a tragedy that will kill you and others, but being unable to do so. I bet the pilot did everything they could, yet died in despair.
Yes, completely agree, just been reported that the pilot was pulled alive from the crash and taken to hospital and is fighting for his life, having seen it I am absolutely stunned that he survived and I hope he is able to make a recovery.

Thoughts with all the families at this very sad time.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Now saying Road will remain closed, and possibly more bodies will be found :-(
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Absolutely horrendous. I don't know why it seems worse because it's just down the road but somehow it is. Guess because I know the area so well and travel that bit of road often. Just awful.
Know what you mean, Ziggy. It's just one of those human nature things. If you hear of a great tragedy somewhere in the World, an accident or terrorist incident or whatever, I always feel slightly less of myself for that feeling of relief that no British people were involved - or conversely even more sickened that British people were involved (like Tunisia). Anyone with a balanced moral compass should feel equally upset whether or not 'your own' people suffered.

This accident is like that. It's hit home with me because it's on the A27 on a stretch I've done many times in the past.

My heart goes out to those affected.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.