Possible XI vs Reading?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Possible XI vs Reading?

Post by Hermann »

This has got to be one of the hardest calls this season. Bearing in mind the games stacking up, and who might have to come in, and who's been knocking on the door... Also Ben Davies & our lack of depth at RB (etc).

Think it's also a possibility that Cook may use a different formation. I think (from the sounds of it), that Davies may be fit (enough) to carry on (1 game a week), but can't see him being used tomorrow. Might he try 3-5-2? I wouldn't rule it out. Thought we would lose v Derby but was delighted to watch from the Fratton End as we kept up with them (& at times were better), played our stuff, high tempo and that with 7 changes from 'the usual'.

Would say whoever starts up front tomorrow (if 1 up front) may well be on the bench Saturday, but then again, think he may go 2 up front - either way!

Jones
Webster Clarke/Roberts Haunstrup
Evans Barton/Close Chaplin Hollands Tollitt
Tubbs McGurk

If Dunne isn't even on the bench - then he really is 'persona non grata' - though his time with us is surely at an end anyway. Whether getting cup-tied as a consideration though?! Can't see us keeping Reading at bay, but then again...

However, bit of me did think that (for the sake of 1 point), whether it might've been better (more of a slap/kick up the *rse), if we hadn't grabbed the 95th minute equalizer from young Jayden.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Possible XI vs Reading?

Post by Mickemo »

Readings four games this season have seen just three goals in total so I expect it to be a low scoring game
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

It is indeed a tricky one, but Paul Cook has made it clear that our priority is the league, so he will rest a lot of Saturday's starters. The likes of Bennett, Doyle and Roberts looked absolutely shattered at the final whistle, and Ben Davies didn't even look fully fit at the start to me.

Something like this?

Jones
Webster Burgess Davies Haunstrup
Hollands Close McGurk Tollitt
Chaplin Stockley

...assuming that Barton and Naismith are still not fit yet, and Dunne is on his way.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

Selsey Bill wrote:It is indeed a tricky one, but Paul Cook has made it clear that our priority is the league, so he will rest a lot of Saturday's starters. The likes of Bennett, Doyle and Roberts looked absolutely shattered at the final whistle, and Ben Davies didn't even look fully fit at the start to me.

Something like this?

Jones
Webster Burgess Davies Haunstrup
Hollands Close McGurk Tollitt
Chaplin Stockley

...assuming that Barton and Naismith are still not fit yet, and Dunne is on his way.
Good team SB, could well be right, (be interesting to see Stockley AND Chaplin together, though they did for a bit v Derby of course, though CC in a deeper role). Would like to see Stockley & Tubbs as a pair too.

Ben Close is a good call for a start also I reckon - did well vs Derby also, and seems mature for his age. I can't think of any other option at right-back :smt017 ...I think I may have heard PC say that Barton is in full training now, but agree we're unlikely to see Dunne at all.
Last edited by Hermann on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

P.S. On that note, I saw several times it mentioned that Enda Stevens could play at RB, but think those may be getting him confused with Davies? (and it's got repeated) I don't recall ES (suspended for tonight anyway) having any experience playing 'on either side' - whereas that was part of Davies' appeal (that & an excellent engine).

Seems his hamstring is maybe a 'manageable' one, but would be a bit shocked to see him line up, (and maybe a bit short for centre-back?) But think ES *can* play left sided centre-back too.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Can't imagine he will change the formation. You don't get the yout team playing the same formation develop a philosophy to keep chopping and change it.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:Can't imagine he will change the formation. You don't get the yout team playing the same formation develop a philosophy to keep chopping and change it.
Good point! I was just looking at the available players and trying to cobble together a team. Thinking about it, I'm sure you will be right and he will stick to his preferred 4 - 2 - 3 - 1
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Can't imagine he will change the formation. You don't get the yout team playing the same formation develop a philosophy to keep chopping and change it.
Good point! I was just looking at the available players and trying to cobble together a team. Thinking about it, I'm sure you will be right and he will stick to his preferred 4 - 2 - 3 - 1
We won't see Roberts. Think he will rest Bennett, Doyle, Nigel and Enda will be suspended so I imagine it will be Holland's and Close in the middle. Chaplin behind Stokley and Mcgurk to get a start.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

No matter what team we put out. With the weather we had yesterday and with whats falling out of the sky at the moment its going to be a tough test for the new pitch.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Ibwas half right.