James Dunne

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

James Dunne

Post by Selsey Bill »

Interesting to see him come on for us last night, albeit only for the last 10 minutes or so. I had it on good authority that Paul Cook didn't fancy him (for a couple of reasons) and was going to ship him out. I wonder what has changed his mind?
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: James Dunne

Post by rumourmonger »

Thought he looked a bit of the pace last night and got shrugged off the ball on one occasion which would never have happened last season. Hopefully he is feeling his way back to being part of the squad again.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Well tbf I heard he didn't fancy Hollands either but if there are injuries in the defensive midfield then Danny stepping in is a massive bonus as things stand. Never thought I'd say that after last season.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

Funny how things work out. I always preferred Atangana last season yet most including AA seemed to like the Dunne + Hollands partnership . Now here we are a year later with Atangana clearly the best of the three . Dunne can play a role somewhere, perhaps full back ? but he will have to step up a level as this is a very different Pompey that pass the ball quickly and positively and that is not Dunnes game.
Sliding in, winning 50-50's and kicking the opposition are all skills needed for when we dont have the ball. I think Cooke looks for players who are comfortable with and keep the ball .

PS - I think Ben Close will figure in the first team soon as he is too good for the reserves.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

POLPERO99 wrote:Funny how things work out. I always preferred Atangana last season yet most including AA seemed to like the Dunne + Hollands partnership . Now here we are a year later with Atangana clearly the best of the three . Dunne can play a role somewhere, perhaps full back ? but he will have to step up a level as this is a very different Pompey that pass the ball quickly and positively and that is not Dunnes game.
Sliding in, winning 50-50's and kicking the opposition are all skills needed for when we dont have the ball. I think Cooke looks for players who are comfortable with and keep the ball .

PS - I think Ben Close will figure in the first team soon as he is too good for the reserves.
Isn't it just! I'm a big fan of Atangana's too and we follow each other on Twitter so I get to have private conversations with him on occasions. He is the true professional, but he has admitted that he feels so much happier under the leadership/management of Paul Cook, and this is evident from his performances.

Also, isn't it good that Cook has options at a number of key positions, a luxury his recent predecessors never seemed to have.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

Yes, Cooke has more options but I also think he has a better eye for players and can bring the best from them .
Next time you chat with NA tell him that when he shoots dont try and take the coating off the ball . Watch Ya Ya Toure , he side foots , almost passes the ball when he shoots.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Danny Holland's will get a start in the league at some point and I don't expect it to be easy to dislodge him. I beleive he will compliment Doyle and with the increased movement around him he'll findba blue shirt more often than not.

Asbfor James Dunne and as much as I like him I'm not sure you need him when your having 60% of the ball most games.

Cook has one style, one preferred formation and one game play regardless of who we are playing (I'm sure details change but you get the just) players at league two can't cope with chopping and changing roles and responsibilities week in week out this is hugely beneficial to the limes of Nige he knows what's expected and its clear. The other major factor is the players are fitter for the past two years I've been saying to anyone that will listen we're in league two, press the opposition they will make mistakes.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey1985 wrote:Danny Holland's will compliment Doyle.
What? You mean he'll say, "Well done, old chap."......

......or do you mean 'complement'? :wink:
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Earl Grey wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Danny Holland's will compliment Doyle.
What? You mean he'll say, "Well done, old chap."......

......or do you mean 'complement'? :wink:
He's a nice chap, so probably both!

I'm going to stop posting from my phone on the train in the morning.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

POLPERO99 wrote:Yes, Cooke has more options but I also think he has a better eye for players and can bring the best from them .
Next time you chat with NA tell him that when he shoots dont try and take the coating off the ball . Watch Ya Ya Toure , he side foots , almost passes the ball when he shoots.
I will. He does have it in his locker:

I was right behind the goal when that pearler went in 8)
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Selsey Bill wrote:
POLPERO99 wrote:Yes, Cooke has more options but I also think he has a better eye for players and can bring the best from them .
I will. He does have it in his locker:

I was right behind the goal when that pearler went in 8)
Cracking goal but the questionable technique with his trailing leg off the floor after he hit it. But who am i to judge! :D