What, no NFL preview!?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

What, no NFL preview!?

Post by This Time Next Year »

New NFL season kicks off in earnest today, (if you ignore Thursday nights one opening game).

How will I cope without our American cousins briefing us on the finer points of the season ahead, and USPF telling me how the cards over achieved last season before being found out in the playoffs and are hopelessly heading for third (at best) in their division...
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: What, no NFL preview!?

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

i'll get to it!

week 1 shockers.....Seattle blow it on the road, Indy just blow it. Not seen anyone that can beat The Patricheats yet.
Oh...and The Raiders got thrashed at home by someone.
This years surprise team might be Buffalo
Div III. Call it what it is.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Would the Chiefs doing well count as a surprise? They seem much improved on last season.

(I keep a close eye as they are my wife's team)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

This Time Next Year wrote:Would the Chiefs doing well count as a surprise? They seem much improved on last season.

No...in FACT I was in Kansas City over the weekend and heard a lot of their pregame and 1/2 the game commentary and the locals seem to think they are for real this season. Big big test Thurs night against deadly rivals General Mannings Denver Broncos come to town
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Lions - decent first half, poor second half. The Bears looked like they might improve this season based on what I saw with the Packers so getting into the play-offs might be tough.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Transportation wrote:Lions - decent first half, poor second half. The Bears looked like they might improve this season based on what I saw with the Packers so getting into the play-offs might be tough.
yup...your Lions are gonna have to beat up on Da Bears twice to get to the play offs ....tough division. Green Bay/Chicago/Minnesota/Detroit....that's as hard a winter as the usa can give you. Better man up in that div!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
This Time Next Year wrote:Would the Chiefs doing well count as a surprise? They seem much improved on last season.

No...in FACT I was in Kansas City over the weekend and heard a lot of their pregame and 1/2 the game commentary and the locals seem to think they are for real this season. Big big test Thurs night against deadly rivals General Mannings Denver Broncos come to town
And.....not to quote myself which is bad form.....I drove from Kansas City to Denver....when you leave Kansas City the GPS says...".drive 525 miles then take exit..."....and let me tell you....that's the most boring 525 miles in the USA... so Denver might be worn out with tediousness by the time their bus gets to KC.....also, I got to listen to a boatload of the Denver radio chat about their win over Baltimore and they were less than impressed. They think the Broncos are a work in progress so KC look pretty good Thurs.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

OK, now I'm back from vacation and can bring some AFC West knowledge to bear on the Raiders / Chiefs and Broncos for this season.... in addition, I'll add in some NFC West as well:

Broncos - Lost a lot of receiving power and Manning probably should have called it a day at the end of last season. Their defense stepped up and was the difference in the game V Baltimore. Broncos fans are offensive (minded), so they didn't enjoy the lethargy of their favorites. I expect a 10-6 season from the Broncos.

Chiefs - Not a surprise they are regarded as favorites to win the division as they pushed all the way last year. Problem was, they were a one-horse team with no wide receivers to speak of. They have corrected that enough for this year to probably get to 11-5

Raiders - Carr's hand injury isn't as bad as expected, but it will take a while for their young team to gel. Amari Cooper was a good draft pick, but internal issues with Crabtree as to who the big-dog is has affected morale of a team that is a few years off being average. Like with Pompey, I can knock my Raiders happily as I have suffered (their 1983 Super Bowl win won me enough money for two Club 18-30 holidays :-) so those memories still garner support). Look for Raiders to improve their performances as the season goes on, but 4-12 is what I expect. Welcome back to LA in the near future.

Chargers - San Diego doesn't want the team and the team don't want to be in San Diego - the fans are fed up of the perennial soap opera and the Chargers will probably end up as team #2 in LA. Still a good team for fantasy points and will end up 9-7

NFC West

Arizona - Surprising effort over the weekend when most people on ESPN etc... expected them to be worse this year. I will go 8-8 as they don't have too much depth and they are in a tough division.

SF - Expected to do worse than the Raiders across town, SF have a great defense and a suspect offense. They will be found wanting by good teams, but they'll be there or there abouts at 8-8 in a league where everyone will beat everyone else.

Rams - Don't let the week 1 win fool you, these Rams aren't going to stay the distance. Like the other 2 they will hover around .500 and will either go 9-7 or 7-9 depending on injuries.

Seahawks - I look forward to getting an up close view when I go to the Monday night game in October against Detroit. They have good players, as befits a two-time Superbowl team, but other teams have gotten stronger and faster. I still see this as a Seahawks division but not home field advantage. 12-4 for the year.

Away from the NFL, I have found more enjoyment in the college game and enjoyed a visit to UCLA at the Rose Bowl (one of those stadiums you have to visit). Langston realized why seeing a team live is better than on TV (the wife accepted she was wrong in not letting me go to previous games over 20 years).
Attachments
20150905_135344.jpeg
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

NFL West...

We shall see. Personally I'd expect Cards to get to at least double figure wins, and 49ers to struggle to get anywhere near 8-8. Probably more like 4-12
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Three weeks in, you sticking with those predictions USPF? ;-)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I ve been waiting for 3 games to roll out before getting into the NFL but i'll get something rolling for this week end

Early doors looking good....Denver, Cincinnati, Patricheats, Arizona, The Packers, Atlanta.
Surprise package,,,Buffalo
Decent teams In the ****** ...Baltimore, Chicago, Pittsburgh, New Orleans and San Fran

Here's a little AJ Green for y'all....cant embed this one

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:I'll get something rolling for this week end
Unlike the Lions - @ Seattle this weekend so that's 0-4...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Transportation wrote:
An appalling loss of form....thought they might build on last season but dear oh dear...0-4 means you start playing the kids to see if they got it going on and hope you don't win any games so you get a good draft in 2016
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
I can do a back from the game write up if you like. I have been invited to the game and expect a one sided affair.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

This Time Next Year wrote:Three weeks in, you sticking with those predictions USPF? ;-)
As mentioned, the Cards do lack depth so I still await injuries in a tough division. My Raiders have found offensive positiveness, but defense will cost them.

Raiders may be better than 4-12, but anything better is a good season for the Silver and Black, in the same vein that survival was a prime goal for Pompey in past years.