Back from the Bristol Rovers game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Back from the Bristol Rovers game

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Just a brief note before Selsey gives a much more "in depth" & quality account than this one!

I sat in the Rovers section with my Pompey supporting Daughter & her Rovers supporting Husband together with my two brainwashed Grandsons.

Apart from a period at the beginning of the second half Pompey were in control of the match. Barton in particular was at the hub of most things that we did. I like Davies more every time I see him play. Stevens on the other flank does not always fill me with confidence. The "on loan" Keeper looked the part and was very unlucky with their goal. The two Lads, Burgess & Clarke were very assured and I like the way that they bring the ball out from defensive positions. Hollands looked vastly improved from the shadow he was last season. Bennett flatters to deceive, but produced a peach of a cross which arrived on Evans` head for the first goal. Chaplin was very busy and caused them some problems. Evans I thought could have been MOTM, he was always in the thick of it. Stockley was booked early on but it did not inhibit him and he made a nuisance of himself and scored an amazing goal. Roberts was sublime when he came on and setup the ball for Davies to deliver the centre which found the outstretched leg of Stockley to score the winning goal. Naismith looked very tricky when he came on and I feel that Bennett needs a break and Kai is the one to replace him. The comments I heard from the Rovers fans were very complimentary and like the game at Plymouth this is the best football I have seen from a Pompey Team for a long time, we hope it continues for many a year to come!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Back from the Bristol Rovers game

Post by Selsey Bill »

I have to say I pretty much 100% agree with that report. Evans was fantastic in the first half, and the two centre backs were awesome but for one absolute howler which they got away with. Most people will disagree with me, but I still rate Kyle Bennett big time. he just needs to improve his decisions
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

So, where do we go with the midfield tomorrow? Doyle is back, but everyone seemed impressed by Barton & Hollands on Saturday, and Atangana has only had a couple of poor halves. Got to think that Doyle & Barton would have been Cook's first choice at the start of the season, but for Barton's injury, so will he go for that combination now that he can? And where does this leave Dunne?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: I sat in the Rovers section with my Pompey supporting Daughter & her Rovers supporting Husband together with my two brainwashed Grandsons.
:rofl Now I'm just guessing here, BlueinPLtwenty but.....are your two 'brainwashed' grandsons Gasheads by any chance?
Selsey Bill wrote:Most people will disagree with me, but I still rate Kyle Bennett big time. he just needs to improve his decisions
I totally agree with you, Selsey.
Bennett is important to Pompey and fortunately Paul Cook agrees.

Yes, he can be frustrating when he occasionally gets the ball and just switches off to the point he is robbed....and as you say he sometimes runs when he should pass and vicky verky.

But the opposition, I'm pretty sure, would be very pleased to see his name missing from the Pompey team sheet and THAT is a measure of his threat.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

We're top of league and still haven't clicked into gear yet. god help any teams when we do. I had a bit of a laugh 1st half with Brizzles No 10 when he was stretching down by us, reckoned 9with no grievance or malice) that we should 'pee this league' with the players we have and wished us well.

Also told Adam Webster to tell Conor to stop diving :D
Vince
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

:rofl Now I'm just guessing here, BlueinPLtwenty but.....are your two 'brainwashed' grandsons Gasheads by any chance? QUOTE Earl

Sadly yes, but they live with their Father, they only see their Grandad (unfortunately ) occasionally. However the Elder is an Arsenal fan, the Younger ManU, they decided that they should for the day be Gasheads!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

Pompey Penguin wrote:So, where do we go with the midfield tomorrow? Doyle is back, but everyone seemed impressed by Barton & Hollands on Saturday, and Atangana has only had a couple of poor halves. Got to think that Doyle & Barton would have been Cook's first choice at the start of the season, but for Barton's injury, so will he go for that combination now that he can? And where does this leave Dunne?
Dunne would seem to be on gardening leave. I would have thought he should have played in JPT against Exeter even if only to attract interest because at the moment he seems to be on money for nothing with no chance to prove his worth.
Pompey Wales
Mickey Quinn

Post by Pompey Wales »

Have to agree with Selsey about the centre backs. Thought we played very well at times with the exception of the first 10 minutes of each half.
I liked the fact there was no knee jerk reaction at the start of the second after they had made their subs. Cookie thought it out and by bringing on Roberts and Naismith control was restored.
I haven't seen the replays of the 2nd half penalty shouts, but if they were a case of trying to gain penalties, I'd be disappointed, because both were very good goal scoring opportunities. Stay on your feed lads.
SWAPS - Home of the South Wales Association of Portsmouth Supporters (SWAPS)