Choose your starting midfield vs Exeter?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Choose your starting midfield vs Exeter?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Who would be your preferred starting five midfielders for this week's game vs Exeter?

I'd like to see Barton and Atangana in the holding roles and Naismith, Roberts and Bennett in the three attacking roles.

That maybe a little harsh on Evans but I think he could do with a rest and to come off the bench as necessary on Tuesday and its time to give Naismith a start I believe. Doyle is highly likely to come back into the midfield after his suspension but I prefer the height and physicality that Atangana provides.

Chaplin back on the bench for me too and Stockley up top?

what say you?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Choose your starting midfield vs Exeter?

Post by Earl Grey »

Isn't it wonderful that Cookie has so much choice....and it's very difficult to pick a team that isn't strong for this league.

Atangana may not be fit yet but he would be in my midfield if he were fit.

I'd have McGurk up top....seems to work for us....assuming he's fit.

Roberts is a must.

It's hard for Cook but in a good way although there are potential headaches for him as the season goes on in terms of unhappy players.

I just hope he keeps swapping things around, personnel-wise and formation-wise, like he has been doing, to keep everyone reasonably happy. Shame we didn't manage to stay in one of the cups to give more opportunity for players like Close and Webster to feel they're valuable members of the squad. Still, FA Cup coming up soon.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Earl Grey wrote:Isn't it wonderful that Cookie has so much choice....and it's very difficult to pick a team that isn't strong for this league.

Roberts is a must.

It's hard for Cook but in a good way although there are potential headaches for him as the season goes on in terms of unhappy players.

I just hope he keeps swapping things around, personnel-wise and formation-wise, like he has been doing, to keep everyone reasonably happy. Shame we didn't manage to stay in one of the cups to give more opportunity for players like Close and Webster to feel they're valuable members of the squad. Still, FA Cup coming up soon.
McGurk is out for a month, Roberts not likely to be risked with a start and no word on Atangana but the assertion from Cook that Danny Hollands will get another start suggests he is not ready yet.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Earl Grey wrote:Isn't it wonderful that Cookie has so much choice....and it's very difficult to pick a team that isn't strong for this league.

Roberts is a must.

I think everyone will stay happy as long as we're in contention. Everyone wants to be part of that. The frustration comes when we're not playing well, and people are still not getting a chance.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Dave wrote: McGurk is out for a month, Roberts not likely to be risked with a start and no word on Atangana but the assertion from Cook that Danny Hollands will get another start suggests he is not ready yet.
That's bad news. I didn't know McGurk was so crocked......and in the warm up, too.

The only other player to get crocked in the warm up would be Rory Allen - and then only because he heard there was a cricket match on he wanted to see...

He'd trip over a blade of grass and claim he was injured for a chance to join up with the Barmy Army and practice drinking and doing the Sprinkler.
Weybridge wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:....although there are potential headaches for him as the season goes on in terms of unhappy players.

I think everyone will stay happy as long as we're in contention. Everyone wants to be part of that. The frustration comes when we're not playing well, and people are still not getting a chance.
Good point, Weybridge. And even if we ARE in contention, still picking up enough points, if the goals dry up then out-of-favour forwards may get twitchy and if we're scoring plenty but conceding too often then defenders will get equally twitchy.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Earl Grey wrote:Good point, Weybridge. And even if we ARE in contention, still picking up enough points, if the goals dry up then out-of-favour forwards may get twitchy and if we're scoring plenty but conceding too often then defenders will get equally twitchy.
I think this is an important point. Winning teams are generally happy, and players almost all want to play. However, even under the best of circumstances, players will get upset if they think that they are not being treated fairly. Being left out instead of someone playing well is one thing, but being overlooked when another player is regularly poor, or never being given a chance leads to frustration. It is at that point that it is better for all concerned if a player moves on. I think there are a few Pompey players that would fall into this bracket by Christmas, especially if there is talk of bringing in new players in January.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Interesting question, and one which I reckon none of us will get right. My stab at tonight's starting line up:

McCarey

Davies Clarke Burgess Stevens

Doyle (C) Hollands

Bennett Chaplin Evans

Stockley
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

What's the deal with Mr Dunne?

I should think we shall see wholesale changes in the team for a Tues game after a Sat road trip
Div III. Call it what it is.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

its interesting conundrum isn't it.

Roberts isn't fully fit but you'd think that if his ankle is not 100% and he can only play one game this week then Exeter (instead of Yeovil) might be the better game to risk him in.

Atangana is back in training but could benefit from a few extra days perhaps?

Doyle is back from suspension and is captain so you'd expect him to start tonight

Barton made his first start in the league against Bristol Rovers and needs playing time to get match sharp.

Naismith hasn't started a game yet but would offer width, creativity and goals whereas Evans is bang in form after Saturday.

Hollands seems to have gort back into the Manager's thoughts but surely he's the fourth choice holding midfielder behind Doyle, Ataganda and Barton when everyone is fit. I think he is a strong candidate to be leaving the club in January as a high wage earner to clear room in the budget for someone closer to being the first name on the team sheet.

Dunne doesn't look like he is close to the squad for a league game and will surely leave in January for first team football.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Unchanged from Saturday

McCarey; Davies (c), Burgess, Clarke, Stevens; Barton, Hollands; Evans, Chaplin, Bennett; Stockley
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Here comes AFC wrote:Unchanged from Saturday

McCarey; Davies (c), Burgess, Clarke, Stevens; Barton, Hollands; Evans, Chaplin, Bennett; Stockley
Can't argue with that as it was a good result and performance. The only issue could be the niggling injuries some of the players might be carrying.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I went to the game and I was arguing with that (same team) before kick off, throughout the game and very much afterwards.

Hollands and Chaplin should have started that game on the bench. Grrrr
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Barton is a strange player, van certainly ping a pass but barely moves outside the confines of the middle 1/3 of the pitch. Hollands was woeful & to me proves that he cannot be relied upon to be decent week in week out. The odd game here & there & thats about it, really was shades of last season from him. Sluggish, wrong options etc.
Personally I'd rather see Nigel & Doyle back, rather more atheltic & dynamic than Barton & Hollands.