Back from the game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Re: Back from the game

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

blue architect wrote:Our opponents did not park the bus. They had a game plan which included keeping a tight defense, two banks of four and no-one stepping out of line.
This may have been the case for the first hour, but from where I was sitting Exeter adopted an 8-2-0 formation from then onwards! I was actually quite pleased with the patience the team showed in trying to break down the Exeter bus - it was refreshing the way they tried to fashion chances rather than just launch the ball in to the box. However, for the first time this season I disagreed with a Cook decision - the Doyle for Hollands substitution. Yes, Hollands had to go, but I would have brought on a player with more attacking instincts (Naismith or Atangana) than the defensive Doyle. That's not to say Doyle didn't play well, but so would I have done with the acres of space he had in front of him, and he's also as unlikely as I am to unlock such a packed, organised defence!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

My first look at the new look side, and thoroughly enjoyed the came. Couldn't believe the level of stick Bennett was getting last night and the fact that some of the players were being accused of not trying. They all left everything out there and another day we hammer them.

I was least impressed by Stockley of all the new players out there. Reminded me of Marko Fuctas on ice.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

NO VANISH REQUIRED

On the positive side , I have seen us play worse . Barton isnt a bad player and I thought Bennet had a good game . More worry is the ease by which Exeter defended. I dont recall the keeper making a save and at the end of the game the Exeter defenders were fresh and very clean. I really think we have to come up with something else or take some long range shooting practice because we dont look like creating regular 6 yard tap- ins . We almost need to give the opposition more room to come forward and explore. All the time we keep pinning teams back on their own 18 yard line we reduce the space. Defending like this is not a difficult thing to do and Yeovil will do the same on Saturday. If we just do the same thing over and over again one thing is sure to happen - We will get the same results over and over again . Do something Different Mr Cooke - Something the opposition wont have planned for.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:Couldn't believe the level of stick Bennett was getting last night and the fact that some of the players were being accused of not trying. They all left everything out there and another day we hammer them.
If you think last night was bad with regards to Bennett you should have heard our fans at Oxford and Bristol. What really winds me up is that the perpetrators are often chaps carrying far too much timber who look like they've never kicked a ball in their lives. Last season it was Butler, Webster and, to a degree, Wallace (of all people!) who got the flack. Pompey fans seem to love to have a player to get on the back of, and they tend to follow each other like sheep.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:.......For all the praise for Burgess & Clarke, we have conceded ten league goals, that is one per game, which I would suggest is too many for a team with promotion ambitions, and playing 4-2-whatever. Time to rotate Webster into the mix?
Absolutely agree, PP. Webster just has that calmness about him that the others don't.

Has Clarke got some clause that makes PC play him...or maybe to please the clubs he's loaned players from he plays them more than he'd like?
Pompey Penguin wrote:Bennett had his best game for Pompey (that I have seen). He was a threat throughout, and got regularly kicked for his trouble. He linked with other players better than I have seen previously, and there was more of an aim towards an end product to his game.
I'm a big Bennett fan. He occasionally over-runs it but my bet is the opposition don't like seeing his name on our team sheet.
Pompey Penguin wrote:I was a bit disappointed not to see Naismith on as a sub. 0-2 down with 15 minutes to go would have been a good chance to give him some time. He is the one player I have not seen at all this season, and would have been interested.
You're not alone. We were, as you say, 2-0 down so why not try something?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Earl Grey wrote:Has Clarke got some clause that makes PC play him...or maybe to please the clubs he's loaned players from he plays them more than he'd like?
There is pressure on clubs to play loanees to keep the parent club happy. This is especially important for highly regarded prospects like Clarke. At least, they must be seen to be given a good chance. Otherwise it can have a negative impact on the willingness of clubs to loan good players to us in the future.

However, in this case I think it is also down to Cook's desire for a left-sided CB, and not being confident that Webster or Burgess can play that side. Notable that Clarke played both League Cup games, when he could easily have been rested for at least one of them and Burgess was rested for both.

My criticism above notwithstanding, we (certainly I) sometimes forget how young our central defenders are. Webster 20; Burgess 23; Clarke 19 (last week) and Whatmough 19. Add on that Stevens is only 25 (and played mostly in Ireland), and it is not unsurprising that mistakes are made. Ben Davies is really all the experience in that defence.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Has Clarke got some clause that makes PC play him...or maybe to please the clubs he's loaned players from he plays them more than he'd like?
... However, in this case I think it is also down to Cook's desire for a left-sided CB, and not being confident that Webster or Burgess can play that side. Notable that Clarke played both League Cup games, when he could easily have been rested for at least one of them and Burgess was rested for both....
I like Burgess a lot but he is very right-footed, hence Cook's desire for a left-sided CB.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Can't look this up at present, but I think I remember Webster playing left-side CB at the end of last season next to Devera (or someone), and looking as good as he ever has for Pompey. Anybody know better?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

wtf is this defeat thing???

Cook out!!

Anyhoo...here's the question....are we still playing the high pressure close 'em down get the ball back pressing game?....or have we tired of that and moved on?
Div III. Call it what it is.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:wtf is this defeat thing???

Cook out!!

Anyhoo...here's the question....are we still playing the high pressure close 'em down get the ball back pressing game?....or have we tired of that and moved on?
Cinci, you need to read through the posts and you will see that it is No. We now play a measured passing game across the field with the patience to wait and probe with forward passes. Unfortunately the forward passes are often telegraphed and either intercepted or result in the only option is a pass back and then the measured passing game continues. Occasionally we do get along the wings but the cross is poor. In desperation we do try the hoof ball to Stockley then loose possession. When we loose the ball then some players do close down (Bennett being exceptionally good on Tuesday) but other do not read the script.
In theory I think we have it right but at present the application is not 100% and improvement in running off the ball and anticipation is required.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

blue architect wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:wtf is this defeat thing???

Cook out!!

Cinci, you need to read through the posts and you will see that it is No. We now play a measured passing game across the field with the patience to wait and probe with forward passes. Unfortunately the forward passes are often telegraphed and either intercepted or result in the only option is a pass back and then the measured passing game continues. Occasionally we do get along the wings but the cross is poor. In desperation we do try the hoof ball to Stockley then loose possession. When we loose the ball then some players do close down (Bennett being exceptionally good on Tuesday) but other do not read the script.
In theory I think we have it right but at present the application is not 100% and improvement in running off the ball and anticipation is required.
So what changed?...I figured we'd move away from that press around Xmas with fixture congestion but it seems to have vanished early doors
Div III. Call it what it is.