NASA question

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

NASA question

Post by uspompeyfan »

Is it not surprising that NASA makes this Mars discovery right before a movie called The Martian is released? The previews show Matt Damon growing plants that require, water......mmmmmm

Is NASA looking to reenergize their budget request and need greater public interest? Just wondering
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: NASA question

Post by Earl Grey »

I really enjoyed the book, The Martian. If the film is even half as good it'll be worth watching.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

uspompeyfan wrote:Is it not surprising that NASA makes this Mars discovery right before a movie called The Martian is released? The previews show Matt Damon growing plants that require, water......mmmmmm

Is NASA looking to reenergize their budget request and need greater public interest? Just wondering
More importantly, why did God put water on Mars?
I am me, the universe and you.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by phat_chris »

Earl Grey wrote:I really enjoyed the book, The Martian. If the film is even half as good it'll be worth watching.
Agreed. Brilliant book. The humour of the lead character is brilliant.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Pompski! wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:Is it not surprising that NASA makes this Mars discovery right before a movie called The Martian is released? The previews show Matt Damon growing plants that require, water......mmmmmm

I also want to know what day he put it there. (Seriously)
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompski! wrote:
No idea, I will have to ask him one day. I can't and won't answer for Him.

As I haven't taken too much notice, was the water found to be H2O? Is it potable? Has it reached Earth yet for proof? (I didn't read any of the reports due to a heavy work load, rather than lack of interest, so not trying claim I know anything, just asking questions).

My original question related to the movie coming out and the NASA stories suddenly appearing - I know we have a board full of conspiracy theorists and gullible government believers (to hit both camps equally :-) ) and thought it was odd timing.

See....no drama here
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

It's heavily salted (can't remember the chemicals) this means it can remain liquid under the harsh temperature and pressure.

It was spotted from afar by looking at patterns of salt deposits, by seeing them move during the seasons they can tell it is liquid. The chemical composition was determined using photo-spectrometry. Nothing returned to earth.

Also nasa said a lit of soil samples taken have been 'damp'.

Some of these statements may be incorrect as it's from memory, so please see the nasa release for the FACTS.

As for the coincidence, these things happen.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Cheers TTNY
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

This Time Next Year wrote:It's heavily salted (can't remember the chemicals) this means it can remain liquid under the harsh temperature and pressure.

It was spotted from afar by looking at patterns of salt deposits, by seeing them move during the seasons they can tell it is liquid. The chemical composition was determined using photo-spectrometry. Nothing returned to earth.

Also nasa said a lit of soil samples taken have been 'damp'.

Some of these statements may be incorrect as it's from memory, so please see the nasa release for the FACTS.

As for the coincidence, these things happen.
From what I heard, the best guess is condensed CO2 (with salts and minerals). There is no hydrogen on Mars, so not H20. The atmosphere is almost all Carbon Dioxide, which condenses at -60, the mean temperature on the planet.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

So, if it were a sea of condensed carbon dioxide and there is no hydrogen......would the chemical name be something like C4O? Condensing would mean more carbon atoms, surely. Thus, would it be fair to claim it to be water, if it isn't H2O?