Exeter & Yeovil

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Exeter & Yeovil

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Homely west country opponents that one would have thought were a 'gimme' for 6 points. Of course, being simple country lads, they obeyed the diktat of their managers and did what every team will do when they come to FP - apart from parking buses, they also understand the 'pressing' game and understand that the stats will give them 30% possession and give us 70% possession.

Our Scouse manager huffs and puffs but doesn't succeed in blowing any houses down, because we don't frankly have the men to do it. Up front, Matt Tubbs doesn't understand what he is being asked to do and in and around the 6 yard box is profligate in the pursuit of the back of the net. Our play is totally predictable and dare I say it, in the pursuit of percentage possession, we run a lot, we stutter a lot, we cover every blade of grass, but we don't really look like scoring. We have a big squad, but we don't really have any possession nous - strangely even the bigger guys like Webster seem never to be called upon and Nigel has fallen out of favour. Oh - and we have 2 goalkeepers who do not inspire confidence even when they're fit and....well, that's it for now because I feel the need for a management 'tinker man' to get the old motivation going and getting rid of the platitudes - over to you, Paul! We have great expectations......
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Exeter & Yeovil

Post by Earl Grey »

Still, 4th place at this stage of the season and we'd all have taken that, wouldn't we, Pomp.

And don't forget that Cookie has shown that he doesn't always use his beloved 4-2-3-1....and I think he's hopefully coming to realise that a simple 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 does the job better in this league.

I'm convinced that had we played the whole match the way he set things up in the second half, i.e. 4-4-2, we'd have won.

Have to agree that we could do with better keepers but since the opposition don't see a lot of the ball I guess it's not going to affect us that much.

Like you I'd rather see Webster alongside Burgess.
However, if Webster then got injured and the Tractor Boys suddenly wanted Clarke back then we'd be short-staffed on fit centre backs.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I feel we dont have the Centre Forward required to successfuly carry off the 4231 @ home, the ones we have are neither mobile enough, big enough & dont carry a significant goal threat. If we are too succeed playing that way @ home we need a far better CF than we currently have.
So for me tactically he needs to tweak it for home games. Personally I'd go with 352 & try & inject some pace into that central midfield area, we are so lacking movement there. Barton, Doyle & Hollands are all pedestrian.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

pompeygunner wrote:I feel we dont have the Centre Forward required to successfuly carry off the 4231 @ home, the ones we have are neither mobile enough, big enough & dont carry a significant goal threat. If we are too succeed playing that way @ home we need a far better CF than we currently have.
So for me tactically he needs to tweak it for home games. Personally I'd go with 352 & try & inject some pace into that central midfield area, we are so lacking movement there. Barton, Doyle & Hollands are all pedestrian.
I wouldn't argue with that - we have been lacking movement in the midfield since Nigel was removed, but if we play 3-5-2 that implies that they understand the system......I don't think they do! We certainly need more of a physical presence at set pieces and we are far too predictable.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:Personally I'd go with 352 & try & inject some pace into that central midfield area, we are so lacking movement there. Barton, Doyle & Hollands are all pedestrian.
Can't disagree with that. The players you mentioned are all good ball holders and maybe you need one of them in the middle but the others must have a wide range of passing ability, most importantly the subtle through ball, that unexpected switch. I still think Atangana can do a job. He does look for that unusual pass every now and then.

But even so I think Cook doesn't need to do much to ensure we maintain our position as one of the top four or five and I think we have the squad to see out the season with play-offs, at the very least, almost a certainty....and probably automatic promotion.

Still, nice discussing fine tweaks to the team rather than wholesale personnel, management, formation and footballing philosophy changes like last season.

I'm still enjoying Pompey's football even though it'd be nice to test our opponents' 'keeper a bit more.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I'll tell you what we do lack.....a couple of chumpionship players in on a season loan. We never seem to be that well connected on this front and Capt. Cook would do well to sort it out. The club needs to be better connected.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:I'll tell you what we do lack.....a couple of chumpionship players in on a season loan. We never seem to be that well connected on this front and Capt. Cook would do well to sort it out. The club needs to be better connected.
Erm, Clarke and McCarey from the Chumps and Stockley from the Premier League?
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

It's a shame McGurk got injured when he did as I think he is what we need up front. Also, I don't believe Nigel Atangana has fallen out of favour - he an been carrying an injury. We also miss Murphy in goal - his distribution is so much quicker. Missed the game on Saturday as was away, but I understand from one of my sons who was there that (the much maligned by many) Kyle Bennett was our best player again.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:It's a shame McGurk got injured when he did as I think he is what we need up front. Also, I don't believe Nigel Atangana has fallen out of favour - he an been carrying an injury. We also miss Murphy in goal - his distribution is so much quicker. Missed the game on Saturday as was away, but I understand from one of my sons who was there that (the much maligned by many) Kyle Bennett was our best player again.
Yes...McGurk is a big miss. Hope big Nige gets back soon.