Malcolm Marshall, Headingley 1984

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Malcolm Marshall, Headingley 1984

Post by Weybridge »

Yes, another cricket story but I thought this was good.

I read a decent account last night of the England v Windies Test at Headingley in 1984, where Malcolm Marshall batted one-handed.

After Chris Broad's drive broke Marshall's thumb in two places, the England team weren't exactly the most sympathetic. In fact they were quite jubilant at one-quarter of the pace attack (and the most in-form) being taken out of the game (he had bowled 6 overs for 6 runs at this point). After England were bowled out for 270, the Windies were making hard work of their reply. So it was a bit of a surprise to see Marshall come in at 11, batting one-handed to help Larry Gomes make his ton. Marshall even helped the cause by angling a four through the slips. Gomes made his ton and the Windies were all out for 302.

England were buoyant and fancied their chances, knowing Marshall was out of the bowling attack. However, on the morning of the fourth day, the Windies did something different. Instead of the usual private net session away from prying eyes, they did a full physical workout - underneath the England changing room windows. And at the front, in a full wrist plastercast was Marshall, working twice as hard as anyone.

England lodged a complaint, claiming Marshall's bright white wristcast (on his non-bowling arm) would be a distraction and therefore he shouldn't be allowed to bowl. Marshall just covered it in elastoplast and took the new ball. He then skittled England for 159, taking seven wickets.

Now thats how to deal with hubris.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Malcolm Marshall, Headingley 1984

Post by pompeygunner »

Its difficult to quantify just how good he was, because the W.I. produced some greats. Ambrose, Walsh, Holding, Roberts, Garner etc etc. But for me Marshall was the cream of the crop, not only lightning fast but used his brain as well.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Marshall - a great, great cricketer.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

..and not that tall either, at 5ft 10/11"? (unlike many of the Windies fast bowlers), more of a whipping action. He was great for Hants, but even better for his country. Died far too young.

Brilliant bowler, I think most have him in their 'best XI's'
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Great man, great cricketer. Remember meeting him at the May's Bounty in Basingstoke in the 70's. He was quite happy to chat away to fans. Also witnessed Barry Richards scoring a ton in what seems like about 20 minutes there once. Boy, we had some great cricketers playing for Hampshire in the 70's - didn't really appreciate how good they were then.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:Great man, great cricketer. Remember meeting him at the May's Bounty in Basingstoke in the 70's. He was quite happy to chat away to fans. Also witnessed Barry Richards scoring a ton in what seems like about 20 minutes there once. Boy, we had some great cricketers playing for Hampshire in the 70's - didn't really appreciate how good they were then.
Weren't we spoiled, SB?
Trevor Jesty (1,000 runs in a season 10 times), David Turner (1,000 runs in a season nine times), Gordon Greenidge (nuff said), Barry Richards (best batsman of his era...including Viv imho), Andy Roberts (stung Bob Stephenson's hands with his pace), Malcolm Marshall (the man).....

...and let's not forget Richard Gilliat, our own Mike Brearley skipper-alike. I doubt there were many better captains around at the time.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Earl Grey wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Great man, great cricketer. Remember meeting him at the May's Bounty in Basingstoke in the 70's. He was quite happy to chat away to fans. Also witnessed Barry Richards scoring a ton in what seems like about 20 minutes there once. Boy, we had some great cricketers playing for Hampshire in the 70's - didn't really appreciate how good they were then.
Weren't we spoiled, SB?
Trevor Jesty (1,000 runs in a season 10 times), David Turner (1,000 runs in a season nine times), Gordon Greenidge (nuff said), Barry Richards (best batsman of his era...including Viv imho), Andy Roberts (stung Bob Stephenson's hands with his pace), Malcolm Marshall (the man).....

...and let's not forget Richard Gilliat, our own Mike Brearley skipper-alike. I doubt there were many better captains around at the time.
I'm a bit young to have seen Barry Richards, Richard Gilliat and Andy Roberts play for Hampshire but I watched the others play live for the county. Still have a clear memory of watching Trevor Jesty (166*) and Gordon Greenidge (108*) battering Surrey's bowlers at Burnaby Road in a 1983 John Player Sunday League game when they were endangering the passing trains. Then Malcolm Marshall comes out and aims a truly nasty quick bouncer at one of their opening batsmen. The umpire stepped in and points out the scorecard (Hampshire 292-1 from 40 overs) and asks him to relax a bit.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

To read of Barry Richards, try `Sundial in the Shade` by Andy Murtagh, one of his compatriots in the Championship team. You will not regret it.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Barry Richards was simply the best IMO. Hants had the 2 best opening bats in the game playing for them @ that time. I often wonder if SA had been allowed to play tests how they'd have got on v W.I. Very favourably IMO.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I was talking to Raj Maru's wife some time back about cricketers from the mid 80s (their kids are similar ages to my kids, they live in Cosham), she had nothing but affection for Malcolm Marshall.

I only ever met him as a teenage fan collecting autographs - which he was more than happy to do.

(As an aside, having asked Raj Maru for his autograph when I was a teenager, it's really odd chatting to him as co-cricket parents in my 40s)
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour