Diarra

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Diarra

Post by Earl Grey »

Good to see our FA Cup hero coming on to a standing ovation last night.

Good game, actually. I thought it might be a 1982 West Germany v Austria stroll but it was pretty hotly contested.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Re: Diarra

Post by Hermann »

Earl Grey wrote:Good to see our FA Cup hero coming on to a standing ovation last night.

Good game, actually. I thought it might be a 1982 West Germany v Austria stroll but it was pretty hotly contested.
TBH, I thought the same, could've been an exhibition game at walking pace. (It had that strange air, not surprisingly). I think the ref did have a word to make sure 'no handbags'/no rolling around, but a good game. I think France were (understandably) off the pace though, but well done to England - who (on paper) looked light in midfield, not too bad elsewhere, but did more than ok. (TBF, I didn't think we were awful against Spain).

Lass I thought tried a little hard when he came on, and not his best game, but it was good to see him out there.

Have followed Lass's career since he left us, and was really chuffed for him, getting back into the French squad - for the first time in FIVE years. He lost a whole year to that contract dispute with Lokomotiv.

Marseille took him, and he did so well in September & especially October (won the player of the month award), he was selected for 'Les Blues', for the first time since they diagnosed the sickle-cell anaemia on the eve of the 2010 World Cup, after training at altitude (he was a nailed on starter for their first XI - saying that, it was their World Cup of their player strike), & was replaced at the last second. Despite (him continuing) showing well for Real, he then moved on to Anzhi (one of the Noveau-riche Russian clubs, when their money was pulled, who then sold him on to Lokomotiv, who couldn't afford him - wages etc, so he went on strike. FIFA blocked any transfer - (though he was linked with 'Arry/QPR, Spurs etc).

But net result, no football for him (at his peak - 29 years old, now 30) for over a year. He got into the French squad in October (came off the bench vs Denmark), and also started against Armenia. Then got the nod to start vs Germany, he stands a good chance of being first pick in centre-midfield alongside Pogba for the Euro's I think.

Bless him, he was quite close to his cousin apparently, describing her as 'more like a big sister'... He has done well, especially with the extra pressure(?) of being Muslim too.