For whom the bell tolls .........

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

For whom the bell tolls .........

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: For whom the bell tolls .........

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Right call for me but it might mean both Compton and Hales start. More disappointed that Adil Rashid is dropped - that doesn't make sense.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Right call for me but it might mean both Compton and Hales start. More disappointed that Adil Rashid is dropped - that doesn't make sense.
Yeah pity about Rashid. Not a fan of Compton either, the player or the man. I've heard two stories about him now, direct from the respective horses' mouths as it were. Our 1st XI skipper is a former Middx and Leicestershire pro who skippered the Middlesex 2s with Compton in the squad. Our skipper got his chance in the 1st XI, made a 50 on his debut, and was immediately relegated back to the 2s and lost the captaincy because Compton felt it should have been his turn. That name carries a lot of weight obviously.

And the other occasion was from last season. Another friend's son is a senior colt at Middlesex, and not far from a professional contract. He's a deadly swing bowler, with an arm like a rocket and still only 16. He's already been sub fielder for Middlesex 2s. (Watch for the name Grimshaw in the next few years). Anyway, he was invited to bowl at the first XI in the nets. He bowled two balls at Compton who then demanded someone else bowl because 'County players don't swing the ball as much as that'.

So, yeah - I'm not his biggest fan.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Its a big call alright but the correct one IMO. Bell hasn't been right for ages. But if thats it for him worth remembering he has @ times been quite superb.