It was 7 years ago today

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

It was 7 years ago today

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portsmouth 2-2 AC Milan
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: It was 7 years ago today

Post by Weybridge »

the_lock_man wrote:Portsmouth 2-2 AC Milan
Tony Adams' finest hour, well - 85 mins.

So many great things about that match. The Royal Marine band giving it large with Life On An Ocean Wave right in front the AC fans. Ancelotti complaining the changing rooms were too small. Kaka having a mare, and looking like he would rather be anywhere in the world but Fratton Park (mind you, I've felt that way a few times over the years...).
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Still one of the best nights. Have had at the park. Marvellous memories of that atmosphere. pup.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Amazing night. After our 2nd my son nearly pulled my sleeve off my jacket tugging my arm shouting "Glenn Johnson dad, Glenn Johnson". Indeed GJ setup both goals, the 2nd with a mazy run past 2 or 3 defenders. To cap it all as they warmed down afterwards we shouted out to Ronaldinho & he gave us a wave.
Very special night all round & our lads were simply breathtaking. We had Richard Hughes in midfield & he probably had his best ever game for us marking Kaka out of the game. Crouch & Kanu up top gave them so many problems & Belhad & GJ were blistering down the flanks. I'll treasure the memories forever.
Hermann
Mickey Quinn

Post by Hermann »

..and no Campbell, Diarra or Defore (or a couple of others, IIRC)!

Bl**dy Pippo Inzaghi, you just knew he would, but that late!? & James had saved all of Ronaldinho's free-kicks (in the TV ad! :D )

Great night, we deserved the win, they got out of jail, and it wasn't even our first XI. What I'll remember more than anything is the wing-back pairings - the two Glen's - Johnson & Little, and Traore & Belhadj? - They had no answer.

..and Milan were the reigning World (Club) Champions!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:Amazing night. After our 2nd my son nearly pulled my sleeve off my jacket tugging my arm shouting "Glenn Johnson dad, Glenn Johnson". Indeed GJ setup both goals, the 2nd with a mazy run past 2 or 3 defenders. To cap it all as they warmed down afterwards we shouted out to Ronaldinho & he gave us a wave.
Very special night all round & our lads were simply breathtaking. We had Richard Hughes in midfield & he probably had his best ever game for us marking Kaka out of the game. Crouch & Kanu up top gave them so many problems & Belhad & GJ were blistering down the flanks. I'll treasure the memories forever.
In fact Glen Johnson was extremely hard done by to have a free kick given against him which led to Ronaldinho's goal.

And glad to see Richard Hughes, Scottish international player, being bigged up for his role in keeping Kaka quiet.
Parliamo Italiano, Richard! Another thing is that Hughesie, being a natural speaker of Italian, was probably instrumental in misdirecting the Milan players by shouting stuff out in their lingo (well, the ones that were Italian anyway)!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by JenniTalia »

The best chant of the game came, if I remember correctly, when we were leading, "Are you Bournemouth in disguise" :lol:

How times have changed!!
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

JenniTalia wrote:The best chant of the game came, if I remember correctly, when we were leading, "Are you Bournemouth in disguise" :lol:

How times have changed!!
I used to work with a guy who was a massive Liverpool fan and who , like all of us , went on forums such as this.

The morning after the Milan game the Scousers were out in force deriding Pompey for chants such as that and saying we were not paying AC Milan the respect they were due.
Like there was some exclusive "big clubs union" of which they were both members and we weren't and we needed to be more subservient to European football's elite.

I remember telling him that we are Pompey , we don't get into games like this every season so we are going to make the most of it when it comes along.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!