NFL play offs

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: NFL play offs

Post by uspompeyfan »

Lost in Transportation wrote: So what is it about Cam Newton? Because it feels like an American thing.
From the Seattle based perspective, even though I am a Raider fan, I live and work around Seahawk fans and the kids are all Seahawk fans:

Cam Newton (as the photo above suggests) hates losing. Most professionals hate losing, but when facing the cameras, put on a front, praising the opposition etc.... Granted he behaves like he is having fun when on the field and that is part of his character. However, as the QB and leader of the team and Panthers franchise, he needs to model a behavior that is in keeping with that franchise. He can keep his moodiness for behind the scenes as many others do.

Leaving the field after beating Seattle, he reached up and tore down a '12' flag and ripped it up whilst providing derogatory remarks to the collection of fans located there. When one considers the second half comeback and ultimately closer score line than the first quarter forecasted.... his reaction could have been better, certainly for PR purposes if nothing else.

His apparent 'snooty-ness' comes from his belief that he is better than anyone else (his own words by the way). He believes himself to be the leader of the new crop of QBs, though Seattle fans have every right to believe the more humble, Russell Wilson of holding that mantle too. Russell Wilson doesn't do the brash stuff, he likes to be part of the team. He doesn't like losing either, but uses it as a chance to get better and yes, he praises the opposition for being better prepared and sticking to their game plan. He owns his mistakes, publically, saying he always can find ways to improve, never blaming those around him.

Russell Wilson will be held in the same regard as Peyton Manning in years to come. I use him as an example here because he has class whereas Cam Newton shows immaturity. They are both undeniably talented QBs but different personalities.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: NFL play offs

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

To be fair to the US press...the Cam thing really wasn't much of a story....it got traction for about a day due to 1 girly tweet.....big deal.
Some athletes like to showboat...that's ok....its entertainment....then you got people like Barry Sanders and Peyton and Gentleman Jim....been there, done that, no big deal.....theres room for everyone or things might get a bit dull.....after all...who doesn't like to hate Diego Costa?....but the league is more fun with him in it.
Div III. Call it what it is.