So, automatic promotion

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: So, automatic promotion

Post by <dj.> »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I beleive we're almost there just lack one or two pieces.
100% :thumb
Not quite 100% for me because we still have more loan players that I'd like. We are 100% better than the last couple of seasons though.

I had a look at Arsenal's recent form on MotD2 last night - it was worse than ours!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

<dj.> wrote:Not quite 100% for me because we still have more loan players that I'd like.
I have an inbuilt aversion to loan players, but unlike recent seasons, I don't think we are too badly off this year.

Freeman is a back-up FB, something that is not too difficult to find if necessary, and our young players are going to need some more playing time next season.
Clarke will go back to Ipswich, but Whatmough should be back, which balances out.
McNulty will probably move on, but at some point we are going to have to commit to Chaplin (or not) and decide what we are doing with McGurk.

Which leaves us where we have been for most of the season. That is, lacking a really good goalkeeper and a proper lone-striker player. I would suggest that these are the two parts we need to make us a really good side, and with the money coming off the books over the summer we should be able to afford them, if we can find them.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
<dj.> wrote:Not quite 100% for me because we still have more loan players that I'd like.
I have an inbuilt aversion to loan players, but unlike recent seasons, I don't think we are too badly off this year.

Freeman is a back-up FB, something that is not too difficult to find if necessary, and our young players are going to need some more playing time next season.
Clarke will go back to Ipswich, but Whatmough should be back, which balances out.
McNulty will probably move on, but at some point we are going to have to commit to Chaplin (or not) and decide what we are doing with McGurk.

Which leaves us where we have been for most of the season. That is, lacking a really good goalkeeper and a proper lone-striker player. I would suggest that these are the two parts we need to make us a really good side, and with the money coming off the books over the summer we should be able to afford them, if we can find them.
I suspect we might go back to Chesterfield for Tommy Lee.

With regards to a goal scorer I wonder if we would have paid Barry Corr's wages if we had Tubbs off the books?

Is McNulty really all that?
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

<dj.> wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I beleive we're almost there just lack one or two pieces.
100% :thumb
Not quite 100% for me because we still have more loan players that I'd like. We are 100% better than the last couple of seasons though.

I had a look at Arsenal's recent form on MotD2 last night - it was worse than ours!
Decent forward and a box to box midfielder and we're there in my opinion.

I don't think Murphy is all that bad.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:

With regards to a goal scorer I wonder if we would have paid Barry Corr's wages if we had Tubbs off the books?

2 good points. I think ref Tommy Leethat Cook is playing the waiting game. Corr-I'd have him here, he's a bit like Hylton. Nasty to play against, constant thorn in your side but someone you need in your team.
McNulty-its starting to look like he's only as good as whoever the 1 is in a 4231. He's gone awol recently & seems a shadow of the player when Lavery was leading the line.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

pompeygunner wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:

2 good points. I think ref Tommy Leethat Cook is playing the waiting game. Corr-I'd have him here, he's a bit like Hylton. Nasty to play against, constant thorn in your side but someone you need in your team.
McNulty-its starting to look like he's only as good as whoever the 1 is in a 4231. He's gone awol recently & seems a shadow of the player when Lavery was leading the line.
Agreed. For me McNulty is a better Tubbs in as much as he needs the space in which to operate OK he comes with greater workrate but he seems to come alive in the box and makes those short sharp runs big centre halves don't like in league two. We don't have anyone capable of pulling defenders away giving them those spaces. Bennet is probably the closest thing we have to that but it tends to be midfielder following him around like a rash.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Slightly calmed down from Saturday. I must say though that apart from this game just gone, every game I've been to I felt we should have won, and I've been to all home and 50% away.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:The thing that strikes me is that so many Pompey supporters seem to think we should win every game 5-0. I have seen, because of my geographical location, six games this season. Pompey have in my opinion played some of the best football I have seen from a Pompey side in years. Paul Cook is paid a lot of money to manage the playing side of our Football Club. He is not going to get it right every week. The hysterical response of so many is ridiculous. Be patient this Manager has done it before and he knows what he is doing
This is football hysteria goes with the territory. But still, at the end of September Pompey were unbeaten and sitting top of the league. November was the last time they were in the top 3. At Christmas they were almost in touching distance of the top spot. A month later Pompey are a way off 3rd and simply miles behind 1st and 2nd. Currently they’re sitting in the last play-off spot on goal difference only. One can’t help but note a trend here and it isn’t upwardly. I’m still hopeful of a top 7 finish but I wouldn’t be putting much money on it. That statement seems unthinkable not so long ago.
Pompey Penguin wrote:The worst thing that could happen would be that Cook got the sack, but I can't believe the board are that stupid.
I don’t think PC would get the sack this season and believe it would be very stupid to do so as he’s already proven he’s a step up on his predecessors. He’ll get another go next year but will be under even more pressure to deliver something.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

After last night not even in playoff position.
Squeaky bum time unless we put a run together soon.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Saturday’s lacklustre performance against Orient was bereft of any team confidence. It’s not just one game either. We have lost 3, drawn 2 and won 1 from our last six league games. What worries me is I still don't believe we have hit rock bottom yet. A tonking is due from someone, which may well come this weekend against a very in form Bristol Rovers. Such a result could irrevocably damage morale and we could well see this season fade away. Automatic promotion is beyond us and we will do very well just to finish in the playoffs.

Our home form has been dreadful for a team targeting automatic promotion. We have drawn far too many games to give us any realistic chance of finishing in the top 3.This aspiration of 'going on a run' seems to be based more in hope than reality. We have not strung more than 2 wins on the bounce all season. From the games I have attended thus far, I cannot see any evidence of reversing this trend. Plus the fact, there are many other clubs thinking their team can do exactly the same. And therein lies the problem, there are still so many teams in with a shout of the play offs, it’s going to make our task that much harder.

Cook also appears to be displaying signs of the ‘tinker man’ syndrome, which was evident in his recent change in formation and player selection. Having started the vast majority of games this season with 4-2-3-1, Cook is now adopting 4-4-2, just to accommodate the new signings. It doesn’t suit the players we have or our style of play. You have to ask the question whether Cook knows what his best team is? I can understand why he dropped Davies to rest him on Saturday, but Evans the league 2 player of the month for December? Why did Cook not rest Bennett or Roberts who has been struggling since returning from injury? Naismith looked useful when he started against Morecombe, so why not give him a go?

On the subject of new signings, we have now recruited 5 loan players with more on the way according to recent media reports. From what I saw of Smith, he is a poor version of Ryan Taylor. His first touch was woeful and I hope that's more to do with him not being match fit than anything else. We should attempt to go all out and resign Lavery on loan to fill the lone striker role for the rest of the season. Smith can be used as an impact sub. As for Freeman, his debut at right back on Saturday was one of the worst I have ever seen. One swallow doesn’t make a Summer, but reinstating ‘player of the season’ Davies is an absolute must.

I don’t disagree that the football we have played this season compared to previous years has been excellent, but it has been far too inconsistent. Statistics gleaned from recent games has yielded plenty of possession, but we have hardly had any shots on goal. Our current position in the table tells us all we need to know. Cook’s target of promotion was extremely optimistic when overhauling practically the whole playing squad. Let’s be honest, did anyone think we had a realistic chance of automatic promotion with 20+ new players?

Even if we do make it into the play offs, I don't think we have enough about us to beat a rival who is organised and motivated team over two legs. Based on current form, it is going to take a shift of seismic proportions to win on Saturday, bearing in mind that Rovers could be potential opposition in the lottery of the play offs.

This post may seem rather negative and I really do hope I am proved wrong, but from what I have seen so far this season, playoffs are the best we can hope for. Remember, it took Cook 18 months to get Chesterfield promoted. Oxford and Northampton finished mid-table last season with the same managers at the helm, now look at them both! The past 12 months has been work in progress and suggest we look forward to next season for automatic promotion.

PUP PPU.
:thumb
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

I'd like to see us go back to sign Lavery on loan again though - we clearly miss him

Agreed we are in a poor run of form BUT we are too good a side for that to continue....the next 4 games are critical to our season. In my view we must beat Bristol Rovers on Saturday and win the remaining games in Feb too (they all look winnable to me).

If (& yes i know its a big IF) we went on a run like that we'd be back in the hunt for automatic promotion - confidence would be up for the remaining matches etc..

However if we don't go on a run like that that we can kiss auto promotion goodnight and will have to hope we can make the play-offs

Whatever happens we MUST keep PC as Manager
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Claygate wrote:Even if we do make it into the play offs, I don't think we have enough about us to beat a rival who is organised and motivated team over two legs.
Whilst I agree with 90% of your post, on the above I beg to differ. Over the season we have played well, and beaten the top teams in an open game of football. Whilst looking second best in both games against Oxford, we have deservedly beaten Plymouth and Northampton. We have also been competitive in games against higher opposition in the cups. It has been in games at home to mid-table sides who are there for a point where we have struggled to find goals. If we make it to the play-offs (and I agree that is a real IF on current form), then I would fancy our chances over three games against teams willing to play football and on warm May days on good pitches. That, at least, is my hope for the season at this point!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Mickemo wrote:I'd like to see us go back to sign Lavery on loan again though - we clearly miss him

Agreed we are in a poor run of form BUT we are too good a side for that to continue....the next 4 games are critical to our season. In my view we must beat Bristol Rovers on Saturday and win the remaining games in Feb too (they all look winnable to me).

If (& yes i know its a big IF) we went on a run like that we'd be back in the hunt for automatic promotion - confidence would be up for the remaining matches etc..

However if we don't go on a run like that that we can kiss auto promotion goodnight and will have to hope we can make the play-offs

Whatever happens we MUST keep PC as Manager
I'm not even sure we can sign Lavery again though. If emergency loans are a total of 93 days he must have or at least be close to that with us already. But nobody else seems bothered about it so I must be wrong!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The logical thing with the Lavery situation is to do a deal where we sign him on loan with an agreement to make that permanent at the end of the season thus agreeing a fee with Wednesday. The question is whether Cook wants him permanently and can we afford his wages.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man