So, automatic promotion

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

So, automatic promotion

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Bob Hope, or no hope?
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Re: So, automatic promotion

Post by Pompey Gary »

Er, the question should be if Pompey are good enough to get in the play-offs. Great unbeaten start to the season but Pompey have been a midtable side since.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I would go with no hope, can't give away points like that and hope for play offs.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I don't understand why we seem to have changed our style these past few games. It doesn't appear to be working.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1985 wrote:I don't understand why we seem to have changed our style these past few games. It doesn't appear to be working.
To incorporate Smith & obviously Roberts. But the outcome is the dropping of the so reliable Evans. Which is a dissapointment to me. If anything PC is trying too hard to keep everyone happy & the outcome isn't great.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Unlikely on today's showing. We haven't looked this poor all season. We just didn't play our own game. Now maybe that's because Orient stopped us playing our own game and they did play a very "professional" game themselves. For instance, Bennett was well clattered in the opening couple of minutes and then had three men on him every time he had the ball. McAnuff conned the ref into booking Stevens.

But really, every one of our players was below par today, except Fulton who was my MoM. He pulled off two great saves and had little chance for McAnuff's goal. None of the outfield players did enough to be a contender in my book. Orient also hit the bar and the post, so could easily have beaten us by 3 or more. We hoofed the ball forward from defence only for it to come back with more pressure. Really, we looked quite desperate and showed little of our usual movement off the ball. I do hope Cook can get to the bottom of this and do something to change it. We have taken 1 point from 3 matches that we should have been looking for 7 from... and Orient have done the double on us. That doesn't happen to a team expecting automatic promotion, does it?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Just look at the possession stats. Pompey 48 v Orient 52. And for much of the game it was more like 45 v 55.

This is quite a change from earlier in the season. The balance of the team has changed. It was only towards the end of the game with the introduction of Evans and Chaplin that we made a greater impact. My guess is that Paul Cook will also have seen this.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Post by Hamburg Skate »

NO HOPE on todays performance ,NO HOPE of the play offs either.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

pompeygunner wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I don't understand why we seem to have changed our style these past few games. It doesn't appear to be working.
To incorporate Smith & obviously Roberts. But the outcome is the dropping of the so reliable Evans. Which is a dissapointment to me. If anything PC is trying too hard to keep everyone happy & the outcome isn't great.
I'm not sure he's doing a great job of keeping tubbs happy, this has to be the lads last season at his best due to his age and he's been left to flounder after being top goal score last season. I can't see him being any worse than mcnulty, he has been off ever since lavery packed his bags.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Question....what's wrong with Chaplin AND McNulty. Why does Cookie feel he can't play the two together?

I haven't read any other threads this morning so apologies if this point has been raised elsewhere.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Earl Grey wrote:Question....what's wrong with Chaplin AND McNulty. Why does Cookie feel he can't play the two together?

I haven't read any other threads this morning so apologies if this point has been raised elsewhere.
I can only think that they're too small. If a 4231 is employed neither has the physical attributes to do the one up top. Its a problem thats plagued us all season barring Lavery's time with us.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pompeygunner wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Question....what's wrong with Chaplin AND McNulty. Why does Cookie feel he can't play the two together?

I can only think that they're too small. If a 4231 is employed neither has the physical attributes to do the one up top. Its a problem thats plagued us all season barring Lavery's time with us.
Lavery isn't that physical - it was his movement and energy that created space for other players.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

There's too much tinkering going on by our Scouser - messing around with the pairing of our centre backs, this Saturday with our full backs and now giving playing time to our beanpole from Swindon - having a striker that needs high balls from above is scarcely an option that suits our passing game. Add to that our high pressure game and the wheels come off far too easily - mid table mediocrity will not be good enough to justify the PC era for the fans. I suggest that our manager needs to review his future strategy rather swiftly!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:

Lavery isn't that physical - it was his movement and energy that created space for other players.
My post was more to do with why cant McNulty & Chaplin play in a 4231.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd drop McNulty on current showing and start with just Smith up top.