So, automatic promotion

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: So, automatic promotion

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm still pretty confident we'll at least make the play-offs. We were poor yesterday, the worst we've played all season. Yes, the ref was awful, and yes, Orient were a bunch of Moaning Minnies, but we got exactly what we deserved out of that game - NOTHING. In fairness, if their finishing had been better, and Fulton wasn't so good, we could easily have lost the game 3, 4 or 5 nil. We were 2nd best in just about every department yesterday. I'm not sure which was flatter, our team's performance, or the Fratton crowd? I heard that Smith was OK against Morecambe, but he was poor yesterday, and I'm beginning to question whether our marquee signing Roberts should be in the starting line up as he is offering very little at the moment. I also think we are missing Lavery big time. I will be away next weekend, but I hope cook plays Fulton, Stevens, Burgess, Webster, Davies, Close, Doyle, McNulty, Bennett, Evans, Chaplin. We looked much better when the last two were on the pitch.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Loads of people were saying we needed to have a "big man up front" on the bench to act as a Plan B. Now we've got Michael Smith we seem to be starting the game with Plan B and then trying to revert to Plan A when that either isn't working or has run it's course. Obviously Lavery was the final part of the jigsaw that made everything click into place and we are struggling to make a complete picture with the bits we have left but I don't see that trying to make a totally different picture is the answer.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

rumourmonger wrote:Loads of people were saying we needed to have a "big man up front" on the bench to act as a Plan B. Now we've got Michael Smith we seem to be starting the game with Plan B and then trying to revert to Plan A when that either isn't working or has run it's course. Obviously Lavery was the final part of the jigsaw that made everything click into place and we are struggling to make a complete picture with the bits we have left but I don't see that trying to make a totally different picture is the answer.
It was the same for the games stockly started too from what I remember.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:
rumourmonger wrote:Loads of people were saying we needed to have a "big man up front" on the bench to act as a Plan B. Now we've got Michael Smith we seem to be starting the game with Plan B and then trying to revert to Plan A when that either isn't working or has run it's course. Obviously Lavery was the final part of the jigsaw that made everything click into place and we are struggling to make a complete picture with the bits we have left but I don't see that trying to make a totally different picture is the answer.
OK, I've only seen yesterday's game, but I though Michael Smith looked like a crap Ryan Taylor / Jayden Stockley :roll:
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
rumourmonger wrote:Loads of people were saying we needed to have a "big man up front" on the bench to act as a Plan B. Now we've got Michael Smith we seem to be starting the game with Plan B and then trying to revert to Plan A when that either isn't working or has run it's course. Obviously Lavery was the final part of the jigsaw that made everything click into place and we are struggling to make a complete picture with the bits we have left but I don't see that trying to make a totally different vpicture is the answer.
OK, I've only seen yesterday's game, but I though Michael Smith looked like a crap Ryan Taylor / Jayden Stockley :roll:
Yes on both accounts, can't really understand cook signing him really. letting Taylor go still seems like a mistake to me.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It`s amazing how negative most seem to have become. We lost a game 1-0. OK it might have been more, but it wasn`t. We have new players who hardly know their team-mates names, let alone played with them before or have good match fitness. There are 18 matches to go, we have mainly the better teams at the Park and the opposite away from home. PUP
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

richisbradders wrote:letting Taylor go still seems like a mistake to me.
I don't think this was Pompey's choice. Taylor had made his decision to go before the end of last season, and had an agreement with Oxford. Cook made all the right comments about trying to persuade Taylor, but it was never going to happen. Whether it was a money thing, or just that Taylor had given his word, I don't know, but he stood by his decision. However, I agree with you that we have missed someone who can play the one-striker role well for most of the season.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It wouldn't really matter who was upfront all opposition centre halves have to worry about is who that one is.

The midfield three behind don't get beyond the forward. That's why we were more threatening with Lavery as we still lined up 4 2 3 1 but the opposition had more to deal with and in league two they can't. If you have Lavery making runs taking defenders away your creating space for McNulty or others to attack / work in.

Far too much being made of who the forward is and not what's happening or not happening on the pitch.

Another sympton of this is the number of far post headers we score notably from the left.
Last edited by Pompey1985 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:It`s amazing how negative most seem to have become. We lost a game 1-0. OK it might have been more, but it wasn`t. We have new players who hardly know their team-mates names, let alone played with them before or have good match fitness. There are 18 matches to go, we have mainly the better teams at the Park and the opposite away from home. PUP
This is a good point, well made, but it just makes me more convinced that this is crunch time for Cook. We have six winnable games in February, before the pressure is really on (12 games is not very many), and so far we have drawn one and lost one. This is not the time to be keeping everybody happy, or playing people who are not match fit; Cook needs to settle on his team and stick with it.

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2? The latter doesn't seem to work, and appears to be shoehorning Smith into the side. Smith looked like he had nothing to offer on Saturday, but this might not have been the fairest test as there was little coming from his teammates.

Roberts hasn't looked the same player since his injury. His best contributions have been coming on as a sub, and this might have to be his role until he has a summer to recover. Will Cook drop the player he specifically brought in to provide the hub of the side?
cookiesarmy
Paul Merson

Post by cookiesarmy »

We still have hope for top 3 but realistically looking more like play-offs at best. Finishing outside top 7 is unthinkable for the ramifications.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

cookiesarmy wrote: Finishing outside top 7 is unthinkable for the ramifications.
Whilst failing to win promotion, whether by losing play-offs, or being below 7th, would not be good, I don't think the ramifications would be awful. There would be grumbling, but I think the crowd-base would hold up; most of the players are here for 2016-17 (excepting loanees and Davies needs a new contract) and another wholesale rebuild would not be necessary. Financially, there is little difference between L1 and L2 (slightly more income; higher wages). The worst thing that could happen would be that Cook got the sack, but I can't believe the board are that stupid.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The thing that strikes me is that so many Pompey supporters seem to think we should win every game 5-0. I have seen, because of my geographical location, six games this season. Pompey have in my opinion played some of the best football I have seen from a Pompey side in years. Paul Cook is paid a lot of money to manage the playing side of our Football Club. He is not going to get it right every week. The hysterical response of so many is ridiculous. Be patient this Manager has done it before and he knows what he is doing
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: The worst thing that could happen would be that Cook got the sack, but I can't believe the board are that stupid.
I would seriously have to question our board if they sacked Cook. He's by far the best manager we've had for a long time. Northampton Town came 12th last season and Oxford United came 13th but both clubs have stuck with their managers. We need to do the same wherever we end up at the end of this season.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
cookiesarmy wrote: Finishing outside top 7 is unthinkable for the ramifications.
Whilst failing to win promotion, whether by losing play-offs, or being below 7th, would not be good, I don't think the ramifications would be awful. There would be grumbling, but I think the crowd-base would hold up; most of the players are here for 2016-17 (excepting loanees and Davies needs a new contract) and another wholesale rebuild would not be necessary. Financially, there is little difference between L1 and L2 (slightly more income; higher wages). The worst thing that could happen would be that Cook got the sack, but I can't believe the board are that stupid.
It took him 18 months or so to get it right at Chesterfield.

Plus if we can clear the decks it should free up some money to invest in the summer. I beleive we're almost there just lack one or two pieces.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I beleive we're almost there just lack one or two pieces.
100% :thumb