OT - Snicko app for your phone

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

OT - Snicko app for your phone

Post by Earl Grey »

Yes...the developer of Hawkeye has now developed a system for club cricket using an app on the umpire's phone and some kind of thingy you can attach to the bat to give you effectively a Snickometer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36102233

Also some assistance with LBW decisions is possible although the article doesn't make clear just how this is achievable.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: OT - Snicko app for your phone

Post by Portchester PFC »

Interesting development EG, only problems I can see is that it will only help where the bat is in no other contact at the time of the edge, so if the bat glances the pad or ground then this may indicate an edge when there was not one ?

Also, the umpire might end up on Twitter and Facebook instead of paying attention :rofl
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

This is a terrible idea.

One of the perks of club cricket is that 99% of batsmen DO walk because there's no review system. Some may bitch and curse and threaten to kill stuff on the way back to the hutch, but they accept the umpire's decision.

This app is just asking for nobody to walk and everything to be reviewed. I can see the excuses from all concerned.

'Review that mate. Let me see it. Show it again. Can I see? Look that's definitely a line. No, there...go back..that bit... '
'Sorry mate, no signal'
'I forgot to put it on my bat'
'Sorry, square leg umpire has got the app, not me'
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Portchester PFC wrote:... if the bat glances the pad or ground then this may indicate an edge when there was not one ?
I suspect there is sufficient signal processing to correlate out non-genuine snicks.
Portchester PFC wrote:Also, the umpire might end up on Twitter and Facebook instead of paying attention :rofl
:lol: - You have a point, Portchester - "Sorry guys...didn't see it...just had to finish that game of Angry Birds."
Weybridge wrote: 'Sorry mate, no signal'
:lol:
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.