Wimbledon Away

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Wimbledon Away

Post by Earl Grey »

Great morale booster. GK worries though
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Roberts should have had a hat trick, missed a couple of sitters. Not sure what was up with Jones though, cook said he was injured though. Murphy looked very suspect and lacked any command of his area.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Just got home. We played very well tonight and deserved to win. Could have actually won by more. Smith had a goal disallowed, apparently he fouled the defender (looked innocuous) and Roberts, Smith, Naismith and Roberts again all had excellent chances in the second. Murphy replaced Jones at half time who has a thigh injury. Murphy made me feel nervous when he came on. He is just too small but, in his defence, his kicking was excellent tonight.

It was really difficult to pick a MOTM tonight as an all round great team performance. If it was the first half alone it would have been Roberts who was outstanding, but Hollands, Evans, Naismith, Stevens, Burgess and Barton all looked excellent. Barton looked so comfortable at centre back you'd think this was his natural position. In fact, everyone played their part and we looked like we wanted it more on a patchy looking pitch.

We even have a new song for Roberts which we sang for half the night:

We've got Ro-berts
Ga-ry Roberts
Just don't think you understand
He's Paul Cook's man
He's better than Zidane
We've got Ga-ry Ro-berts

repeat, repeat, ....

Looking forward to hearing the Fratton End sing it against Northampton

Final mention for Paul Cook. I was right behind him in his dugout. Brilliant to watch him close up in action. It's no wonder he loses his voice so much, he doesn't stop barking orders at his players, or screaming at the officials. Such a difference from watching Awford in exactly the same place last season. Awfs just stood leaning against the dugout for 90 minutes.
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

We were stood right behind cook too SB, must of been pretty close, I doubt the players know what he is on about they way he goes to be honest.

Was funny when they disallowed smiths goal as their manager came over to cook and said "he (the ref) hasn't got a clue"
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote:...and Barton all looked excellent. Barton looked so comfortable at centre back you'd think this was his natural position...
SB, what do you think the position is with Barton for next season? If he can play CB properly, he would be very useful as we could just go with Burgess/Webster/Whatmough and not have to try and find a 4th CB, and he could also cover Doyle/Hollands/Close in DMF. I know he is under contract, but not sure if he would be happy with that role for another season or would want to move on.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:...and Barton all looked excellent. Barton looked so comfortable at centre back you'd think this was his natural position...
SB, what do you think the position is with Barton for next season? If he can play CB properly, he would be very useful as we could just go with Burgess/Webster/Whatmough and not have to try and find a 4th CB, and he could also cover Doyle/Hollands/Close in DMF. I know he is under contract, but not sure if he would be happy with that role for another season or would want to move on.
Ahhh...the curse of the utility player tag.

Sometimes being adaptable works against you; you're too useful as a back up player to be given sufficient chances to hold down your favourite position.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:We even have a new song for Roberts which we sang for half the night:

We've got Ro-berts
Ga-ry Roberts
Just don't think you understand
He's Paul Cook's man
He's better than Zidane
We've got Ga-ry Ro-berts

repeat, repeat, .....
Don't break my heart, my achy-breaky heart...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

cookiesarmy wrote:1-0 Final Score. Auto promotion still on.... LOL
Mathematically, yes, but Oxford need one point from their last two games (given that they have an 8 goal advantage over us) to stop us from being able to go up automatically.

Predictions for the last two games:-
Accy W W leaves them on 87 points
Oxford W D leaves them on 84 points
Bristol R W W leaves them on 85 points
Plymouth D W leaves them on 81 points
Pompey W W leaves us on 81 points
AFCW W W leaves them on 77 points
Cambridge D W leaves them on 70 points

Predicted table
Northampton
Accrington
Bristol Rovers
Oxford
Pompey on GD
Plymouth
Wimbledon

I fancy us to beat Plymouth over two legs, so I would be happy with that, much more so than either Oxford or Wimbledon, and then Oxford at Wembley.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

No chance we will win both our remaining games, this is Pompey.

Northampton haven't lost since December, granted it was against us. I think we will stay where we are now.