Play offs

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Play offs

Post by blitzoid »

Anyone know the likely dates?
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Play offs

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The final is on 30th May Bank Holiday Monday
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Victory Stadium
Martin Kuhl

Post by Victory Stadium »

Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Posted this on the thread below.

4th Place v 7th Place - 1st Leg Thurs 12th May 1945hrs KO
4th Place v 7th place - 2nd Leg Sun 15th May 1930hrs KO

5th Place v 6th Place - 1st Leg Sat 14th May 1930hrs KO
5th Place v 6th Place - 2nd Leg Wed 18th May 1945hrs KO

Teams that finish 4th and 5th play the 2nd leg at home.

Final 30th May 1500hrs KO.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

So, realistically, Wimbledon will not catch us, and we cannot finish below 6th. I would expect Bristol Rovers to pick up at least a win and Oxford a point, so 4th not very likely. That leaves us looking at either 5th or 6th, probably against Plymouth, and just waiting to find out if we are home or away first (I wouldn't mind playing at home first, even if it ended as a draw and then they had to open up at Plymouth).

We can now complete our home/away records against possible play-off teams.

Accrington D/W
Oxford L/D (lucky to get a draw away)
Bristol Rovers W/W
Plymouth L/W (unlucky to lose at home)
Wimbledon D/W
Cambridge W/W

Really hoping that Oxford and Accrington go up automatically, as I think we are the best of the rest (injuries, luck, referees, etc. permitting).
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey Penguin wrote:So, realistically, Wimbledon will not catch us, and we cannot finish below 6th. I would expect Bristol Rovers to pick up at least a win and Oxford a point, so 4th not very likely. That leaves us looking at either 5th or 6th, probably against Plymouth, and just waiting to find out if we are home or away first (I wouldn't mind playing at home first, even if it ended as a draw and then they had to open up at Plymouth).

We can now complete our home/away records against possible play-off teams.

Accrington D/W
Oxford L/D (lucky to get a draw away)
Bristol Rovers W/W
Plymouth L/W (unlucky to lose at home)
Wimbledon D/W
Cambridge W/W

Really hoping that Oxford and Accrington go up automatically, as I think we are the best of the rest (injuries, luck, referees, etc. permitting).
totally agree. I think the top 7 as it is now is how it will end. I'm happy with anyone but Oxford in the playoffs basically.

I was talking with a Plymouth fan today that thought that Plymouth would be happier playing at home first too as their home record / form isn't very good. Just ask Dagenham for recent evidence I guess

You'd think Bristol would beat Wimbledon over two legs (easily) and then its Brizzle vs Plymouth or Pompey for League 1
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

These are the final fixtures:

Accrington - Wycombe(a), Stevenage(h)

Oxford - Carlisle(a), Wycombe(h)

Bristol R - York(a), Dag & Red(h)

Plymouth - Cambridge(a), Hartlepool(h)

Pompey - Hartlepool(a), Northampton(h)

Wombledon and Cambridge will have to wait as I have to get back to work....sorry.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Sadly, I can see Rovers winning both games (the two bottom teams in the league). Oxford could well fall just short, meaning we could well face them in the final. Mind you, on the plus side, I'd rather face them in a one off at Wembley, than have to play them twice in the semi-final.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Do we get better refs for the play-offs? I am sure there are Championship caliber officials who would be better qualified than some of those in the lower reaches.

Do away goals count or would it go to penalties if scores were level, regardless of away goals?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

These are the final fixtures complete.
It's amazing how all the teams from 2nd to 7th play away this Saturday then at home for the final fixture:

Accrington - Wycombe(a), Stevenage(h)

Oxford - Carlisle(a), Wycombe(h)

Bristol R - York(a), Dag & Red(h)

Plymouth - Cambridge(a), Hartlepool(h)

Pompey - Hartlepool(a), Northampton(h)

Wombledon - Stevenage(a), Newport(h)

Cambridge - Plymouth(h), Mansfield(a)
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

uspompeyfan wrote:Do we get better refs for the play-offs? I am sure there are Championship caliber officials who would be better qualified than some of those in the lower reaches.

Do away goals count or would it go to penalties if scores were level, regardless of away goals?
Don't know about the refs, but there is no away goal rule in the FL play-offs.

2.4 In the Semi-Finals, the first leg shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes duration. If the aggregate scores are level at the end of 90 (ninety) minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the scores remain level at the end of extra time the tie will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark, in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global ... ERcZe89.99

Alters things a little bit as the 0-0 at home in the first leg is no different from any other draw, and (e.g.) the Man City result v. Real Madrid would not look so promising; it rather removes the "just don't concede at home in the first leg" approach. However, it is still true that a home draw is not a bad result and a team shouldn't risk everything just to win the first leg.

Edit: Just noticed that the FL's own rules are wrong! Penaties in shoot-outs are not taken strictly in accordance with the normal laws, other minor rule changes apply.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:Do we get better refs for the play-offs? I am sure there are Championship caliber officials who would be better qualified than some of those in the lower reaches.

Don't know about the refs, but there is no away goal rule in the FL play-offs.

2.4 In the Semi-Finals, the first leg shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes duration. If the aggregate scores are level at the end of 90 (ninety) minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the scores remain level at the end of extra time the tie will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark, in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global ... ERcZe89.99

Alters things a little bit as the 0-0 at home in the first leg is no different from any other draw, and (e.g.) the Man City result v. Real Madrid would not look so promising; it rather removes the "just don't concede at home in the first leg" approach. However, it is still true that a home draw is not a bad result and a team shouldn't risk everything just to win the first leg.

Edit: Just noticed that the FL's own rules are wrong! Penaties in shoot-outs are not taken strictly in accordance with the normal laws, other minor rule changes apply.
2.6 Use of Goal Line Technology. Where the venue at which a Play Off Semi Final or Final is to be played has a goal line technology system installed that complies with the FIFA requirements for goal line technology, the Executive shall be entitled to determine whether that system is used, and its decision shall be final.

Who is the Executive?
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Earl Grey wrote:
Who is the Executive?
The one being given the brown envelope :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

For what it is worth, we will get to Wembley. Let me explain why: The beautiful Mrs Selsey has booked a weekend away in Lake Como for the two of us which includes Monday 30th May :evil: :evil: :evil:
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

Please...please Cookie get to 4th if you can! Our daughter's wedding is on the 14th :shock:
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else