Alistair Cook

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Alistair Cook

Post by Weybridge »

Currently giving the ECB a headache.

The England captain refuses point blank to wear the new ECB mandated safety-spec helmet because its uncomfortable and distracting, preferring his usual one. And during this period of rebellion he has smacked three centuries in the last three weeks.

Also you have to question a ruling which says you don't have to wear a helmet, but if you do - it has to be this particular one.

Mark Nicholas made a good point recently about Gordon Greenidge. When Hants played Surrey at The Oval during a period when it had a treacherous pitch, the Surrey quicks were bouncing Greenidge at every opportunity. What did Gordon do? Abandoned his helmet altogether, so he could see the ball better... (but I suppose when you're as good as GG you can get away with it!)
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Alistair Cook

Post by Earl Grey »

Weybridge wrote:Currently giving the ECB a headache.

The England captain refuses point blank to wear the new ECB mandated safety-spec helmet because its uncomfortable and distracting, preferring his usual one. And during this period of rebellion he has smacked three centuries in the last three weeks.

Also you have to question a ruling which says you don't have to wear a helmet, but if you do - it has to be this particular one.

Mark Nicholas made a good point recently about Gordon Greenidge. When Hants played Surrey at The Oval during a period when it had a treacherous pitch, the Surrey quicks were bouncing Greenidge at every opportunity. What did Gordon do? Abandoned his helmet altogether, so he could see the ball better... (but I suppose when you're as good as GG you can get away with it!)
Well Sikhs got away with not wearing motor-cycle helmets by citing their religion. Maybe Cook can start a new religion based on wearing your favourite helmet.

More seriously, can't he have the approved lid adapted to make it more comfortable?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I'm not certain about Cook's exact cause for complaint, but I think its to do with the gap between grill and peak. I think he's stating the maximum gap is now too narrow, and affects his ability to focus on the ball.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I don't understand why the powers that be are interfering so much in the game. Surely the risk of injury is on the player, therefore, as long as the helmet meets the basic safety requirements, the batsman should be able to manage what helmet he wears - or has cricket been affected by the nanny state mentality of having to tell our best batsmen what they should do.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.