Play Off second leg (Plymouth vs Pompey)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Play Off second leg (Plymouth vs Pompey)

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
eltorrro wrote:SB - I bow to your superior knowledge because you have been to more matches and seen more of these two than I have. But, your comment "whenever he is on the ball he always looks like he could do something" hits the nail totally on the head. Undoubtedly he is skilled but also he is VERY frustrating in that he does lose the ball a lot. He has the capability to open up defences but does not seem to do it too often.
Roberts, I would agree with you does seem not match fit for whatever reason and if Cookie is playing him with an ongoing injury then the manager is at fault. A battler he may be but what is needed is an attacking midfielder that can penetrate defences and give our (small) forwards to run on to.

Let's see what next season brings!! 8)
What I'd like to see with Bennett is him using his pace to run past players. Admittedly, all too often he tries to take on one two many players and then loses the ball. I do rate him highly though. It's a great shame we didn't get out of L2 as I am convinced L1 would suit his style better. Kyle had offers to play in the Championship and L1, but he chose to come to Pompey because of Paul Cook and the Pompey fans. It's ironic that many of the latter have got on his back for much of the season!
I'm lead to believe by someone involved at Donny that we pay exactly the same he was on at Donny. Could be BS.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Play Off second leg (Plymouth vs Pompey)

Post by Claygate »

I am far from confused Pompey Penguin. The point I was making is that Burgess, Clarke and Webster were all to often bullied by the typical L2 strikers. Their style of play in terms of passing the ball out of defence is more suited to the Championship. Unfortunately, there is a rumour Webster could be joining Ipswich for a fee of £400k, whilst we get Clarke in return for another's year loan.

With regards to signing an experienced centre back, I certainly wasn't thinking of Chorley! What an awful defender he was! I was thinking the calibre more like Paul Robinson, but of course we let him go. You mentioned we sat too deep in games this season and indeed we did. I just wonder if someone with a bit of experience would have not told the defence to push up. We definitely lack leadership in the back line. None of the current crop of defenders strike me as leaders on the pitch.