Next season.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Next season.

Post by Pompey1985 »

Who would you trim from the squad?

Exit:
Jones.
Davies.(seems to have lost it a bit second half of season).
Clarke (he will step up a few levels).
McNulty.
Tubbs.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Next season.

Post by Locky_McLockface »

If I were the manager, I would keep Tubbs, but since that position is held by Mr Cook, I would imagine he would be offloaded.

I wouldn't "trim" Clarke, but I don't think we'll be able to have him again next season. That said, I think with the three CBs we have (Webster, Burgess & Whatmough) plus Barton as cover, we don't need Clarke. I don't feel we missed him particularly when he wasn't playing.

From the attack, I would lose McGurk, but only assuming we can sign permanently at least 2 of the trio of McNulty, Lavery and Smith. He has offered little in the 2nd half of the season, and I think we need to see more of young Chaplin.

On the goalie front, I would rather lose Murphy than Jones. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but Murphy is just too small for a goalie.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I heard a rumour on FB just now, that we've all but signed Ruben Reid. Last year I would have been very pleased with that )if it's true of course). Not sure he's had the same impact this season though? Anyone know his strike rate this term?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Been injured for much of the last part of the season, also thought he had some mental issues?
Vince
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

RubiconCSL wrote:I heard a rumour on FB just now, that we've all but signed Ruben Reid. Last year I would have been very pleased with that )if it's true of course). Not sure he's had the same impact this season though? Anyone know his strike rate this term?
He has got 6 goals in 20(5) appearances, but has been injured and not first choice when Matt was there. He has always struck me as a player that doesn't offer much if not scoring. After last season's game at FP I said that I could see the Pompey fans getting on his back as he seemed somewhat ponderous and didn't really work hard, and I was glad we hadn't signed him even then when he was at the top of his game. He doesn't look like the kind of hard-working, close people down sort of CF that Cook favours.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

It’s time to look at the squad for next season in more detail, and possible ins and outs over the course of the summer. I was thinking just a couple of new players, but reading Cook’s comments since the play-off exit suggests that there might be more changes than I expected. Apologies for any contract errors; it is difficult to keep track of these at times (oh for baseball where these, with full details, are all in the public domain!).

Goalkeepers Murphy is out of contract and I can’t see him staying. Bass is clearly not ready, or he would have played. Jones is fine as a back-up, and I wouldn’t worry about him playing a number of games, but probably not good enough for first choice. I think everyone is agreed that a good (very good for L2) goalkeeper is one of the priorities for the summer. I would be prepared to sacrifice a bit of shot-saving ability for someone who can catch crosses and dominate the penalty box; this addresses one of our real weaknesses and will give the CBs confidence. Oh Dave Beasant where art thou?

Full-backs Enda Stevens has had an excellent season on both sides of the ball; I wish he had a right foot to keep defenders honest, but he is good enough at L2 to hide this fault. Brandon Haunstrup looks like a good back-up and needs to play a bit. So that’s LB covered. Yet again, RB is more of a problem. Obviously, Davies had a great season, and most people would be happy for him to return, but I don’t know how sensible his wage demands are. There is no back-up RB (hence the loans this season), and although the academy lad (forgot his name) is rated, he is a long way off. Given Davies’s age and tendency to get booked, some cover (apart from Evans) is required if he is the first choice. So maybe two RBs on the list.

Centre-backs Burgess, Webster, Whatmough (and Barton) are enough and good enough. I know some people think they can too easily be bullied, and I have talked elsewhere about the need to sacrifice a bit of muscle for footballing ability, but I get the impression this is the way Cook goes. Only question is if we can offer Barton enough playing time or if he will ask to leave.

Defensive midfield Doyle inked in obviously after a good season. Close as primary back-up and May is fast approaching the point where he will be looking for game time. Hollands had a better season than last year, but is out of contract which presents an opportunity to free up squad space. I wonder if Cook will go with Barton as first choice with Doyle, giving him the playing time and retaining his CB option. Hard on Hollands, but that is what comes of being at the end of a contract. I wouldn’t be surprised whatever happened, but I don’t think we need anyone new.

Wide midfield Evans has done well, and is a useful source of goals, although his crossing could be a lot better. Bennett is always a threat, even if one of the most frustrating players to watch. Naismith was unlucky to start the season injured, and then struggled to catch up, but has improved and probably worth another look. Tollitt is out of contract, but he has potential, especially with his pace, and I hope he stays, but someone else might be prepared to offer him a starting place. I’ll deal with McGurk here; although he covers all the forward positions (poorly) he has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season; I don’t see where he fits in for any regular playing time, and I would expect him to go if any other team is interested.

Centre midfield / 2nd striker The injuries to Gary Roberts have hurt us this season, and overall he has disappointed whilst being excellent in parts. However, he is Cook’s binky and I am sure he gets first go next season. Chaplin needs playing time, although he is a different type of player and forces the team towards a different style as he will play further forward and require others to fill in behind. It is an area where we might see a new signing, but if not then I would hope we would leave a space and budget free for a signing (loan or transfer) later in the season if things are not working. All options are open, and I think it depends more on who is available rather than any immediate desperate need.

Centre forward (for want of a better term) The crux of the matter. Basically, we have no-one. Neither Tubbs (who I can’t see returning in any meaningful way) nor Chaplin are suitable for a lone striker role. The problem emphasised by the string of loan signings from Stockley to Wilkinson. I think everyone is in agreement that (along with a goalkeeper) this is where we need to be concentrating our resources. I have no idea who is likely to be available, but I would happily give up signing three other players to get the right person up front. Get this right and we are promoted; it is almost as simple (but not as easy) as that!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:It’s time to look at the squad for next season in more detail, and possible ins and outs over the course of the summer. I was thinking just a couple of new players, but reading Cook’s comments since the play-off exit suggests that there might be more changes than I expected. Apologies for any contract errors; it is difficult to keep track of these at times (oh for baseball where these, with full details, are all in the public domain!).

Goalkeepers Murphy is out of contract and I can’t see him staying. Bass is clearly not ready, or he would have played. Jones is fine as a back-up, and I wouldn’t worry about him playing a number of games, but probably not good enough for first choice. I think everyone is agreed that a good (very good for L2) goalkeeper is one of the priorities for the summer. I would be prepared to sacrifice a bit of shot-saving ability for someone who can catch crosses and dominate the penalty box; this addresses one of our real weaknesses and will give the CBs confidence. Oh Dave Beasant where art thou?

Full-backs Enda Stevens has had an excellent season on both sides of the ball; I wish he had a right foot to keep defenders honest, but he is good enough at L2 to hide this fault. Brandon Haunstrup looks like a good back-up and needs to play a bit. So that’s LB covered. Yet again, RB is more of a problem. Obviously, Davies had a great season, and most people would be happy for him to return, but I don’t know how sensible his wage demands are. There is no back-up RB (hence the loans this season), and although the academy lad (forgot his name) is rated, he is a long way off. Given Davies’s age and tendency to get booked, some cover (apart from Evans) is required if he is the first choice. So maybe two RBs on the list.

Centre-backs Burgess, Webster, Whatmough (and Barton) are enough and good enough. I know some people think they can too easily be bullied, and I have talked elsewhere about the need to sacrifice a bit of muscle for footballing ability, but I get the impression this is the way Cook goes. Only question is if we can offer Barton enough playing time or if he will ask to leave.

Defensive midfield Doyle inked in obviously after a good season. Close as primary back-up and May is fast approaching the point where he will be looking for game time. Hollands had a better season than last year, but is out of contract which presents an opportunity to free up squad space. I wonder if Cook will go with Barton as first choice with Doyle, giving him the playing time and retaining his CB option. Hard on Hollands, but that is what comes of being at the end of a contract. I wouldn’t be surprised whatever happened, but I don’t think we need anyone new.

Wide midfield Evans has done well, and is a useful source of goals, although his crossing could be a lot better. Bennett is always a threat, even if one of the most frustrating players to watch. Naismith was unlucky to start the season injured, and then struggled to catch up, but has improved and probably worth another look. Tollitt is out of contract, but he has potential, especially with his pace, and I hope he stays, but someone else might be prepared to offer him a starting place. I’ll deal with McGurk here; although he covers all the forward positions (poorly) he has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season; I don’t see where he fits in for any regular playing time, and I would expect him to go if any other team is interested.

Centre midfield / 2nd striker The injuries to Gary Roberts have hurt us this season, and overall he has disappointed whilst being excellent in parts. However, he is Cook’s binky and I am sure he gets first go next season. Chaplin needs playing time, although he is a different type of player and forces the team towards a different style as he will play further forward and require others to fill in behind. It is an area where we might see a new signing, but if not then I would hope we would leave a space and budget free for a signing (loan or transfer) later in the season if things are not working. All options are open, and I think it depends more on who is available rather than any immediate desperate need.

Centre forward (for want of a better term) The crux of the matter. Basically, we have no-one. Neither Tubbs (who I can’t see returning in any meaningful way) nor Chaplin are suitable for a lone striker role. The problem emphasised by the string of loan signings from Stockley to Wilkinson. I think everyone is in agreement that (along with a goalkeeper) this is where we need to be concentrating our resources. I have no idea who is likely to be available, but I would happily give up signing three other players to get the right person up front. Get this right and we are promoted; it is almost as simple (but not as easy) as that!
That is a very good write up PP, one with which I concur. The only thing I would disagree with is your comment about Adam McGurk. I would say he is THE biggest disappointment, not one of them! I had really high hopes from him, as I'm sure Cookie did, but his performance on Sunday summed up his season. He's either been carrying an injury, his confidence is shot to pieces or he is just swinging the lead?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

There's obviously quite a gap between Davies' demand and Pompey's offer - both Davies and Cook have said they want Davies to stay, so on the face of it, there shouldn't be a problem. It seems to me that negotiations have stalled over "pay & conditions". Davies has had a good season, and I think that's what he's pinning his negotiations on - but he's another year older now. I wonder how reasonable Pompey's offer is.

It would seem harsh on Hollands to not renew his contract, as I think he's had a good season, but again, he's not getting any younger, and I think Adam Barton deserves a run in his favourite position, given his performances at CB in the last couple of games.

Ben Tollitt, I think, will be resigned. I think Cook has high regard for his potential, and will want to offer him another deal.

I would personally like to see Jones given another go. Goalie is probably the most important area for consistency in team selection, and we've had 5 different goalies play there this season. I think, with a decent run in the team, Jones is the man. Without breaking the bank, I don't see many better options immediately available.

Striker, I think we'll probably go after Smith, I think he's the one realistic target, Swindon look like they're not interested. McNulty is a possibility, depending upon whether Chris Wilder is interested. If Adkins had stayed, I think we'd have had a decent chance. Lavery? I'd like to sign him, I think our best play was with him in the team, and he is out of contract. We may have a chance there, since he's not been in the shop window since January. Since we only want to play 1 up front, 2 of those 3, plus little Conor would work for me.

McGurk really needs to go. He's been a huge disappointment for me, he didn't seem to have the work ethic.

Just a few thoughts for discussion...
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Let's not forget the changes to the 'Emergency Loan Window' next season meaning we have what we have when the window slams shut.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey Penguin wrote:It’s time to look at the squad for next season in more detail, and possible ins and outs over the course of the summer. I was thinking just a couple of new players, but reading Cook’s comments since the play-off exit suggests that there might be more changes than I expected. Apologies for any contract errors; it is difficult to keep track of these at times (oh for baseball where these, with full details, are all in the public domain!).
Yes I'm expecting a few through the door but we had some loans which will be replaced by permanents so it isn't as surprising.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Goalkeepers Murphy is out of contract and I can’t see him staying. Bass is clearly not ready, or he would have played. Jones is fine as a back-up, and I wouldn’t worry about him playing a number of games, but probably not good enough for first choice. I think everyone is agreed that a good (very good for L2) goalkeeper is one of the priorities for the summer. I would be prepared to sacrifice a bit of shot-saving ability for someone who can catch crosses and dominate the penalty box; this addresses one of our real weaknesses and will give the CBs confidence. Oh Dave Beasant where art thou?
Young Bass is fresh out of the academy so will be 3rd choice. I can see two new keepers being brought in with Jones and Murphy both leaving.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Full-backs Enda Stevens has had an excellent season on both sides of the ball; I wish he had a right foot to keep defenders honest, but he is good enough at L2 to hide this fault. Brandon Haunstrup looks like a good back-up and needs to play a bit. So that’s LB covered. Yet again, RB is more of a problem. Obviously, Davies had a great season, and most people would be happy for him to return, but I don’t know how sensible his wage demands are. There is no back-up RB (hence the loans this season), and although the academy lad (forgot his name) is rated, he is a long way off. Given Davies’s age and tendency to get booked, some cover (apart from Evans) is required if he is the first choice. So maybe two RBs on the list.
Calvin Davies is the name you're looking for. I think we need a RB who is in their mid-20s (or has a few seasons under their belt) and hopefully keep Ben Davies as he can play different roles. Ben Davies was run into the ground by this campaign.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Centre-backs Burgess, Webster, Whatmough (and Barton) are enough and good enough. I know some people think they can too easily be bullied, and I have talked elsewhere about the need to sacrifice a bit of muscle for footballing ability, but I get the impression this is the way Cook goes. Only question is if we can offer Barton enough playing time or if he will ask to leave.
I would be more than happy with having Burgess, Webster, Whatmough and Barton in the squad for next season. I wonder whether we will cash in on Webster and bring in a bit more physicality.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Defensive midfield Doyle inked in obviously after a good season. Close as primary back-up and May is fast approaching the point where he will be looking for game time. Hollands had a better season than last year, but is out of contract which presents an opportunity to free up squad space. I wonder if Cook will go with Barton as first choice with Doyle, giving him the playing time and retaining his CB option. Hard on Hollands, but that is what comes of being at the end of a contract. I wouldn’t be surprised whatever happened, but I don’t think we need anyone new.
Doyle is 36 now and this will be a transition year. I'll think Cook will want some more energy in this position so think Hollands is vulnerable to being upgraded.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Wide midfield Evans has done well, and is a useful source of goals, although his crossing could be a lot better. Bennett is always a threat, even if one of the most frustrating players to watch. Naismith was unlucky to start the season injured, and then struggled to catch up, but has improved and probably worth another look. Tollitt is out of contract, but he has potential, especially with his pace, and I hope he stays, but someone else might be prepared to offer him a starting place. I’ll deal with McGurk here; although he covers all the forward positions (poorly) he has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season; I don’t see where he fits in for any regular playing time, and I would expect him to go if any other team is interested.
I'm expecting McGurk to be looking for another club. My gut feeling is that a left-sided player may come in with Bennett expected to complete there and through the middle.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Centre midfield / 2nd striker The injuries to Gary Roberts have hurt us this season, and overall he has disappointed whilst being excellent in parts. However, he is Cook’s binky and I am sure he gets first go next season. Chaplin needs playing time, although he is a different type of player and forces the team towards a different style as he will play further forward and require others to fill in behind. It is an area where we might see a new signing, but if not then I would hope we would leave a space and budget free for a signing (loan or transfer) later in the season if things are not working. All options are open, and I think it depends more on who is available rather than any immediate desperate need.
We did look threatening with McNulty playing this role with Lavery stretching the play. My suspicion is that Bennett will be the go-to after Roberts but also Chaplin can play here.
Pompey Penguin wrote:Centre forward (for want of a better term) The crux of the matter. Basically, we have no-one. Neither Tubbs (who I can’t see returning in any meaningful way) nor Chaplin are suitable for a lone striker role. The problem emphasised by the string of loan signings from Stockley to Wilkinson. I think everyone is in agreement that (along with a goalkeeper) this is where we need to be concentrating our resources. I have no idea who is likely to be available, but I would happily give up signing three other players to get the right person up front. Get this right and we are promoted; it is almost as simple (but not as easy) as that!
Tubbs is on his way out. 5 loan strikers says it all. Two strikers to come in.

I can see 7-8 players coming in this summer to complement the core squad.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Striker, I think we'll probably go after Smith, I think he's the one realistic target, Swindon look like they're not interested.
Swindon activated their option on Smith and gave him another year.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Aaron Pierre anyone? Sell Webster to bring him in at CB. Him and Burgess would make a great CB pairing.