Three players released..

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

lakespfc
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Three players released..

Post by lakespfc »

From the OS..
Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that Brian Murphy, Chad Field and Snorre Nilsen have been released following the expiration of their contracts.

The club would like to thank them all for their service to Pompey and wish them well for the future.

Talks are ongoing with Ben Davies and Danny Hollands, whose deals also expire this summer.

Adam McGurk, Kal Naismith and Matt Tubbs have been made available for immediate transfer.

The club have taken up an option to extend the deals of Ben Close, Adam May and Ben Tollitt by a further year.

Adam Barton, Kyle Bennett, Christian Burgess, Conor Chaplin, Michael Doyle, Gareth Evans, Brandon Haunstrup, Paul Jones, Gary Roberts, Enda Stevens, Adam Webster and Jack Whatmough are all still under contract.

It was announced last month that Pompey have offered one-year professional deals to Alex Bass, Calvin Davies and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Matt Clarke, Kieron Freeman, Ryan Fulton, Marc McNulty and Conor Wilkinson will return to their parent clubs following the end of their loan deals at Fratton Park and we thank them for their contribution.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/arti ... Pbxw5uw.99
PLAY UP POMPEY, POMPEY PLAY UP!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Three players released..

Post by Pompey1985 »

Expect we are wanting a pay cut for them.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Bit dissapoited about Naismith. I liked him
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

I can't say I'm surprised by the 3 players released and the 3 players transfer listed. I don't believe we would miss any of them to be honest. Naismith had potential, but blew too hot and cold. McGurk had plenty of opportunities to excel, but ultimately failed to deliver. Although to be fair to him, I don't think he or Cook knew what his best position was in the team.

When you consider the 5 loan returns of McNulty, Freeman, Fulton, Clarke and Wilkinson, there is certainly space for signing new players. 1 keeper, 1 right back, 1 centre back, 2 strikers and 2 midfielders at the very least.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Naismith flattered to deceive. When he played for Accrington in the televised game a couple of years ago he looked really good. I was at Exeter for the Mickey Mouse Cup game and he came on as substitute after about 60 minutes. OK he had been injured, but there he was playing with these talented youngsters like he was Billy Big ****** showing his exasperation when the pass was n`t quite as he thought it should be. Not impressed at all. When he was given game time he missed a number of simple chances, which to me indicated he was n`t concentrating & motivated enough. Opinions!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I must admit to being surprised at seeing Naismith transfer listed. Only had one year of a three-year deal, so on the face of it, you'd think he'd have another year. I wonder whether his wages are on the high side, so not delivering what we might call Value For Money - in other words, if he was on a squad player's wage, he might still have a place.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

It's not always as simple as the "player transfer listed" statement suggests.

Naismith is essentially a wide midfield player, he can see that Evans and Bennett are first choice from the play-offs when Bennett came straight in even when Naismith was showing some form. Tollitt has been extended and will need time. Roberts might play wide if another creative midfielder arrives. So...

Naismith: Where do I stand for next season?
Cook: There are a few players ahead of you (see above).
Naismith: I need more playing time than that.
Cook: Fair enough. I'll transfer list you so that you have every opportunity to find another club.

Fair and honest all round; it is important to treat players well as the word gets round if you don't and can impact the chances of others coming to a team. Same as Robinson last summer who was at an age when he didn't want to be 4th choice CB, and moved on; handshakes and no hard feelings all round.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Same as Robinson last summer who was at an age when he didn't want to be 4th choice CB, and moved on; handshakes and no hard feelings all round.
I wonder where we have have finished with Robinson and dunne still about this season.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

richisbradders wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:Same as Robinson last summer who was at an age when he didn't want to be 4th choice CB, and moved on; handshakes and no hard feelings all round.
I wonder where we have have finished with Robinson and dunne still about this season.
Not sure whether James Dunne would have made a significant difference.

Robinson? Possibly - the goals conceded from set pieces, particularly later in the game, he may have handled the situations differently. Whilst Clarke & Webster (and latterly Whatmough & Barton) are very young, Burgess is, what, 26? I would have thought old & wise enough to read these situations.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Burgess is, what, 26? I would have thought old & wise enough to read these situations.
Burgess is 24, and has only just scraped past 100 appearances, nothing for a CB. Based on his performances, I would suggest that wisdom and a cool head are not his strong points; he seems to get involved in flashpoints that are nothing to do with him, and completely lost it at Yeovil. I like Burgess a lot overall, but he has much to learn about being a CB.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:Burgess is, what, 26? I would have thought old & wise enough to read these situations.
Burgess is 24, and has only just scraped past 100 appearances, nothing for a CB. Based on his performances, I would suggest that wisdom and a cool head are not his strong points; he seems to get involved in flashpoints that are nothing to do with him, and completely lost it at Yeovil. I like Burgess a lot overall, but he has much to learn about being a CB.
Its only his 2nd full season as a 1st choice central defender (2.5 really as he had a half season as 1st choice at Peterborough before Darren Ferguson was sacked). This season will make a big difference to him.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.