Thoughts

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Thoughts

Post by Here comes AFC »

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Thoughts

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Interesting...like the 20 team divisions....not convinced on a 5th division and definatly not for a 7 team relegation season

Also...if you relgate 7 teams from the Chumpionship and promote 3 from L1....would you then not need to relegate 11 teams from L1?
Also also...it says no relegations from L2....but how do you form L3 with no relegations?
Also also also....if the Jocks want to sign up that's fine.....but they had better start from L5....no freebie entries to the Chumpionship!
Div III. Call it what it is.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

I shudder to consider the quality of football of 8 conference teams and the 12 dregs of this league.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Whenever the PL, or the FA, or in this instance, the FL, say they want to make changes, and give their justifications for those changes, I am always left wondering if they are the real justifications, or whether there's something else that they're not saying. Am I getting too cynical in my old age?

On the face of it, I can see the logic of their stated reasoning - we suffered a period in March where we played twice a week for 3 weeks or something, so reducing fixture congestion would be a good thing. Their logic, too, of minimising midweek games, since attendances are lower, is reasonable.

It also increases membership of the FL, so presumably increases revenue for the FL, and you can't blame them for wanting to do that.

I note that they have allegedly ruled out allowing PL "B" teams in, though one has to wonder if that will change.

Certainly not in favour of moving FA Cup games to midweek, the reduced ticket prices are a nice opportunity for those of us on a limited budget to take our children.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

However you spin it I cannot see how losing 3 home games in a season will increase revenues for individual clubs. Personally I would miss the cold midweek winter games under the lights.

I also think the runs of congestion really test teams and managers.

Lets face it, it will be the season ticket holders who will lose out as prices will not drop when the number of games drop and club wage bills will not drop either so we will have to cover it.

I hope it gets a big thumbs down from our club who as a community club should hold a referendum of season ticket holders, members and shareholders and then use their vote accordingly.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Season ticket holders could be compensated by getting up to the first three home cup games for free. They would still have to claim before a certain date so they could go on general sale if not wanted. OK, some years there wouldn't be three games, but at least it would be something. It might also increase attendance and atmosphere at early round Full-members, League and (even) FA Cup games.

Otherwise, not at all sure about this. As others have said, I don't trust football authorities not to have some other agenda/motive.